Brand new Focus ST...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fellas,

What would be a good oil choice for this direct injected turbocharged Focus that will be a daily driver in all weather conditions?

Car will be picked up from the dealer on Monday.

Should I leave the FF for a 1000-2000km's than fill it with mineral oil and then go on the synthetic diet?

Leave factory fill at least 1000 miles or til Ford says. Take the free oil change they might give and after3000 to 5000 miles go Pennzoil Ultra,Platinum,QSUD, or Mobil 1. Some take 5w30 synthetic others take 5w50 syn.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Leave factory fill at least 1000 miles
Why?

Since you're in Ontario, use M1 0w40. Turbo DI = more fuel dilution than any other engine type and winter temps will drop down to -20C. Don't bother with any mineral oil for break in, it's an old wives tale.

Napa Synthetic is still on sale for another week or so (sale ends 8/31) for $2.99/qt. It is rebranded Synpower.

Buy it now, but don't actually change the oil until Ford says to. Does the ST have the IOLM? If it does, you can follow it with confidence
smile.gif

If your owner's manual tells you to change early, I would do so. Otherwise go by IOLM. Your owner's manual is your friend, especially while under warranty.

Mobil 1 0W40 sounds like a good choice. I'm curious what oil does Ford recommend for it?

This is what Ford reccomends :
Recommended motor oil (U.S.): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend
Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QSP
Recommended motor oil (Canada): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil
CXO-5W30-LSP12
Recommended motor oil (Mexico): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
MXO-5W30-QSP
Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QFS
Optional motor oil (Canada): WSS-M2C946-A
CXO-5W30-LFS12
Engine coolant (U.S. and Mexico): WSS-M97B44-D2
Motorcraft Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted
VC-3DIL-B

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_08_2015.pdf

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Since you're in Ontario, use M1 0w40. Turbo DI = more fuel dilution than any other engine type and winter temps will drop down to -20C. Don't bother with any mineral oil for break in, it's an old wives tale.

And a lot of old wives are still telling that tale. And some of us believe them. OP - leave the FF oil in your car for the full OCI. Run the Motorcraft semi synthetic your dealer offers for another one or two OCIs. Then switch to the full synthetic of your choice that meets Ford specs. My old ex-wife told me to give you this advice. You can thank her later.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
This is what Ford reccomends :
Recommended motor oil (U.S.): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend
Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QSP
Recommended motor oil (Canada): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil
CXO-5W30-LSP12
Recommended motor oil (Mexico): WSS-M2C946-A
Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
MXO-5W30-QSP
Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): WSS-M2C946-A
XO-5W30-QFS
Optional motor oil (Canada): WSS-M2C946-A
CXO-5W30-LFS12
Engine coolant (U.S. and Mexico): WSS-M97B44-D2
Motorcraft Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted
VC-3DIL-B

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_08_2015.pdf

Thanks. PU 5w30 would be another good choice.

I wouldn't trust a Ford iOlm... many reports of it happily letting folks motor along to 20,000 miles or so... particularly on Focus and Fiesta IIRC.

Nice car.

I'd change the FF at 2K and then use Mobil 1 5w30 going by the OLM.
I believe Mobil 1 5w30 is now 11 cst which is a little more viscous than some of the other syn 5w30. M1 also has great cold weather specs which is important in Canada.
I wouldn't use 0w40...at least not early in the engines life.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I wouldn't trust a Ford iOlm... many reports of it happily letting folks motor along to 20,000 miles or so... particularly on Focus and Fiesta IIRC.

Please provide links....
Thanks

I've seen a few people on the Fiesta site get up to 10,000 and 12,000 but that's about it. The Fiesta (non-ST) has a port injected 4 cylinder with a timing belt ... if that's not easy on oil, I don't know what is. And I wouldn't have a problem running it 15-20 on a good oil.

I wouldn't run anything but a ford approved oil/grade in a new vehicle. Same as I wouldn't run a 0w-30 in a new Honda since it's not approved and could void the warranty on the engine.

Look at what they are using in Europe and the rest of the world and use that. Often North America gets its own CAFE oil specs that focus more on fuel economy.

Also look at the severe use spec and see what that specs out.

I'd use Castrol Edge. Unlike oils recommended in other replies, Castrol uses magnesium in their add pack. If you study Castrol's TEOST scores, they are in a class of their own. Probably the only meaningful difference between other others is that Castrol may keep your valves cleaner longer. Look at castrol TEOST test besting everyone else out.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

I would use the motorcraft oil for the first few oil changes and then switch to a full synthetic 5w30 or 0w40 metting API SN and ACEA A3/B4, Castrol Edge, M1 , Pennzoil Ultra, if Ford says that a 5w-30 is fine i'd trust them, if you have LFS ( Lead Foot Syndrome ) i'd use a 0w40 though.

I would leave the factory fill in for 5K-8K kilometers then you can switch straight to a synthetic oil.

My personal recommendation would be Pennzoil Platinum in the recommended 5W-30 but you couldn't go wrong with any mainstream oil. Valvoline SynPower, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Royal Purple are solid options also.

I'll leave the factory fill for the 5,000kms or until Ford tells me to.

What is a good mineral oil to use (or a partially synthetic oil as someone mentioned earlier)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back