ACDelco X66P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to use this stuff to do a piston soak on my BMW M54 motor. It's burning just under 1 quart per 1k miles, currently.

Any opinions on this stuff, good or bad? Any recommendations for a different product? Thanks!

I have used Delco X66 since the early 1980's there is nothing better to clean the combustion chamber. I remember about 25 years ago I ran it through a 6 cyclinder engine that had bad cam lobs on one cylinder, that cylinder essentially wasn't working. After pulling the head 5 out of 6 pistons, valves, and head only had a dusting of carbon. The bad cylinder had a thick crustation of carbon, oil ash etc. By the way, the P in your X66P indicates a pint container.

I would use Berryman B-12 Chemtool to perform a piston soak. It will dissolve all of the carbon.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
I liked more the Subaru version. I felt that it Kept the foam longer on the wetted parts.

Originally Posted By: Vincsant
I have used Delco X66 since the early 1980's there is nothing better to clean the combustion chamber. I remember about 25 years ago I ran it through a 6 cyclinder engine that had bad cam lobs on one cylinder, that cylinder essentially wasn't working. After pulling the head 5 out of 6 pistons, valves, and head only had a dusting of carbon. The bad cylinder had a thick crustation of carbon, oil ash etc. By the way, the P in your X66P indicates a pint container.

I think the P is meant to mean "pour." There's an X66A, which is an aerosol. A lot of people think the X66A and the Subaru aerosol are the same product.

BMW makes a fuel injector/combustion chamber/valve cleaner that's identical to the X66P. Same bottle, same color fluid. Different label.

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
I liked more the Subaru version. I felt that it Kept the foam longer on the wetted parts.

Originally Posted By: Vincsant

I think the P is meant to mean "pour." There's an X66A, which is an aerosol. A lot of people think the X66A and the Subaru aerosol are the same product.

BMW makes a fuel injector/combustion chamber/valve cleaner that's identical to the X66P. Same bottle, same color fluid. Different label.

Yes, you're right. I was talking about the aerosol versions of both. Liked the subie more.

Only bad thing I've seen is that the formula has been modified in the last few years, and there were some typical claims that the old stuff was better. I'd give it a shot, I just did a bunch of reading about carbon cleaners etc. & just made a thread "BG 109 vs 120". I listed a few cleaners at the bottom like AC Delco, Johnson Evinrude, Mopar's, Ford's, etc.

Basically roll the dice & if it doesn't work move on to the next. Unfortunately I didn't find much proven information. If you have any luck let us know!

This video basically convinced me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vo4fm0JDPY

Actually, the video convinced me to do the piston soak in the first place. Same motor and car as mine.

After a bit of research, the Mopar aerosol looks like a pretty great option as well. Berryman Chem Dip looks incredibly effective, but I'm afraid of it causing damage.

Originally Posted By: dccode
Only bad thing I've seen is that the formula has been modified in the last few years, and there were some typical claims that the old stuff was better. I'd give it a shot, I just did a bunch of reading about carbon cleaners etc. & just made a thread "BG 109 vs 120". I listed a few cleaners at the bottom like AC Delco, Johnson Evinrude, Mopar's, Ford's, etc.

Basically roll the dice & if it doesn't work move on to the next. Unfortunately I didn't find much proven information. If you have any luck let us know!

I ended up buying the X66P. There's an ACDelco parts store nearby, and they had the bottle for $18. The best online price seems to be $22, so I guess I got an okay deal.

I'll report back once I've used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back