Nice bear sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother spotted this wandering up road past his house this afternoon. He is out in Boiling Springs PA. Told him to keep his eyes open if it gets real close

dormuc.jpg

I had a similar encounter with one when I lived in rural Upstate NY. They love the bird feeders, but he took off when the dog came out to defend his turf. Having a big mutt that's part Karelian Bear Dog helps out a lot.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Keep the shotgun handy!

Who shoots a bear with a shotgun? That's only going to make him angry or wound him to die a long lingering death. I like clean kills. Keep the deer rifle handy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Keep the shotgun handy!

Who shoots a bear with a shotgun? That's only going to make him angry or wound him to die a long lingering death. I like clean kills. Keep the deer rifle handy.

I had my shotgun loaded with 12ga slugs when I lived in black bear territory. That was what most of my neighbors had too. They pack an awful punch and can dispatch a black bear quickly. I doubt anyone would want to try shot though.

Keep the shotgun handy!

I'm talking about using slugs not shot.

I didn't see any in my (short) time in WV, but we kept pigs and on occasion they would start suqealong at night like they were in a panic. I do think it might have been a bear around that set them off.

Keep the shotgun handy!

City folk think shotguns shoot only "shot."
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Keep the shotgun handy!

City folk think shotguns shoot only "shot."
smile.gif

Lol, I'm definitely not a city dweller! Born and raised in the country and proud of it
smile.gif

Years ago while I was in college I was biking into school on the bike path and came through an S curve and nearly hit a couple of deer standing in the path. All I could hear was those hoofs trying to get traction on asphalt.

Fast forward 20 years to last weekend. I'm biking up a road and hit an S curve and... bear about the size of a German Shepard (only much much more stocky). I hit the brakes and stop about 25 yards from it. Luckily after a second or so (felt much longer) it noticed me and scampered off--meanwhile, given its size I was busy scanning the woods for momma. Must have been older than I thought as none was found.

Biking up the rest of the hills was much easier after that.

I've only seen bear in years past once (similar story as above, hiking, came around a corner, and there he was, only less than 25 yards away), and three times this year. They have come out of the woodwork in NH it seems. I might have to give in and get bells for my shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back