Do the BF Goodrich tires crack just like Michelins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I have Michelins on more than 20 vehicles. No cracking, new or old. What's this then?

Same here, dozens of sets and zero issues.

Just put some new Defender LTX M/S on a van yesterday. Should I be skeered?

You run gigantic miles and wear them out before they rot off.

My BFGoodrich Longtrail T/A had a bunch of small cracks on both sidewalls and tread area around 4-5 years age. My neighbor's 2014 Nissan Frontier with OEM Longtrail T/A tires also have cracks on them.

Only set of Michilen tires I have owned were OEM on my 2004 Elantra, those were replaced @ 30,000 miles/2 years old and had no cracks that I remember.

My Michelin Tires arent cracking..

The defenders(90000 mile warranty) are however wearing out in about 25000miles.
mad.gif

Its sad they are wearing faster than the Michelin xice xi2 winter tires on the same car.

Originally Posted By: Rand

mad.gif

Its sad they are wearing faster than the Michelin xice xi2 winter tires on the same car.

The premature tread wear of those tires are well documented here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Rand

mad.gif

What size tire are those?

Last week I noticed the Michelin LTX M/S2s on my truck have age cracks between the treads on all 4 tires. They are 3 years old with just under 11k miles on them. I only put 3-4000 miles a year on it. I have never seen a tire get age cracks that fast. The Firestone tires on the RV are 8 years old and still look new with 10k miles on them.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
Last week I noticed the Michelin LTX M/S2s on my truck have age cracks between the treads on all 4 tires. They are 3 years old with just under 11k miles on them. I only put 3-4000 miles a year on it. I have never seen a tire get age cracks that fast. The Firestone tires on the RV are 8 years old and still look new with 10k miles on them.
Everyone on here will tell you that since the tires get such little miles, the wax compound (or whatever it's called) doesn't come out of the rubber and it causes them to crack sooner.

But it seems other tires don't do it near as much as Michelins.

I think I saw some small weather checking on my LTX's. Very minor. Will still run the rubber off 'em before it becomes a problem though.

FWIW, I currently have Goodyear Assurances which are a highly rated Touring tire. The DOT code is 0811 so they are just 5 years old now but have cracks all around where the sidewall meets the tread. It figures since Goodyear has a 4 year limit on claims for cracking.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SR20DE
FWIW, I currently have Goodyear Assurances which are a highly rated Touring tire. The DOT code is 0811 so they are just 5 years old now but have cracks all around where the sidewall meets the tread. It figures since Goodyear has a 4 year limit on claims for cracking.
smile.gif

It's 4 years from the date of purchase.

When did you buy them? If you have the receipt from when they were installed, and it's within the 4 years, you can still have a claim
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

It's 4 years from the date of purchase.

When did you buy them? If you have the receipt from when they were installed, and it's within the 4 years, you can still have a claim
smile.gif

That implies that the tires are sold one year after the DOT date? Unfortunately I don't have the receipt as I bought the car used, so I guess that's moot.

Originally Posted By: SR20DE

That implies that the tires are sold one year after the DOT date? Unfortunately I don't have the receipt as I bought the car used, so I guess that's moot.

I've gotten new tires that were 2-3 years old at the time of installation.

Also, warranties aren't usually transferable to subsequent owners anyway.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Their budget uniroyals do!

I have a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring speed rating T that are 1.5 years old daily driven, and they don't have any cracks. I would have to use a depth gauge to be able to tell how much tread has been used because just eye dogging it they still look new. 70,000 mile warranty and I think the tires will do it.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Their budget uniroyals do!

I have a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring speed rating T that are 1.5 years old daily driven, and they don't have any cracks. I would have to use a depth gauge to be able to tell how much tread has been used because just eye dogging it they still look new. 70,000 mile warranty and I think the tires will do it.
1-1/2 years old, daily driven, and away from the hot sun makes a tire a perfect candidate to my crack so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back