Tundra steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My 2014 Tundra SR5 did not come with a leather wrapped steering wheel. Strange for a $40k truck. I was cleaning it recently and noticed places where the steering wheel is already wearing a bit. What are the best options for getting it leather wrapped?

The Tacoma has the same steering wheel with nice thick leather and I would like something like that. I have searched a bit on the Tundra forums and a couple of guys used the Xuji brand leather, but have to stitch it in place themselves. I am willing to do that, but would rather save that as last resort because from reading, almost all complained at how tedious and time consuming it was.

What are my other options? I like the look and feel of a leather wrapped wheel versus the cheap slip over covers that make the wheel much too thick (so please no recommendations for those....)

Thanks in advance!

I have an '04 Tundra. I added a leather Wheelskins, which I assume is much like the Xuji. It required stitching, which really wasn't bad. I think it took a little over an hour. I listened to a college football game on the radio while I worked.

Anyway, I probably did that in 2006 or 2007, and the leather cover still looks pretty good. It was a very nice improvement to the stock plastic rimmed steering wheel. I would recommend the Wheelskins cover.

I ordered a leather steering wheel cover for a Nissan Rogue from WheelSkins and was very happy with it.
Their size is customized based upon your vehicle. Quality material and they have some good online videos showing you how to install it.
It took me about 3 hours to do it right.

I'm generally only happy with oem quality. Find the part number on all data and simply order pt from the dealer. Steering wheels are super easy to change just remember to disconnect the battery before r and r in the airbag.

I've stitched a 2-3 and have always been happy with them, but you get better with practice. That needle is skinny and you have to put some muscle in, and I ended up using small pliers to work it. took 30-60 minutes and wasn't a bad hour to spend. OEM would give better results but there's a $ to be paid there.

Thanks guys for all your advice. I've checked out the Xuji and Wheelskins both. Not really wanting to spend $600+ on a new steering wheel. I'm going to look into the two brands above and see about stitching it in myself. The pictures I've seen where people have done it look awesome.

If I'm not mistaken, the Sienna and Lexus GX used the same steering wheel style - meaning your Tundra airbag should be able to fit in there mechanically. You can probably find a wood and leather Lexus wheel in decent shape that would work.

/edit: you have a newer Tundra. But seeing how Toyota is sharing the parts bin with either Lexus or other models, there is a remote possibility you can find a OEM leather wheel that fits your Tundra airbag.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RN89
Meep, what brand did you use?

whatever was at the auto parts store. I'd pull them out of the box and feel it. if it felt cheap I'd look at another. We're talking about $20 leather covers. if it wasn't wide enough, I'd unfurl the folds along either edge to make it reach around thicker wheels. even when I did that, it was fine because the ends were still held together with the stitching. If those cheapies did ok, I'm sure the better brands others have mentioned would be even better. Just take your time, think through it, and don't be afraid to pull the string back and redo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back