Chevy Volt bad idea for BITOG members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In April 2015, I bought a Chevy Volt. For those who don't know, it is an electric car with about 40 miles of range. Then, as soon as you run out of battery power, a gasoline engine fires up and takes you the rest of the way until you charge the battery.

Over the last 17 months, I've put 16,000 miles on the car. The engine has only powered 2,000 of those miles.

I changed to Mobil 1 5w30 EP this last April. At the rate I'm going, the OLM won't ask for the oil to be changed until April 2018.

Now, I just scored three 5 quart bottles of Ultra Platinum 5w30 for $14 each after rebate.

So, gents, should I be wasteful and change to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with only about 1,000 gas miles on Mobil 1 5w30 EP, or should I wait until April 2018?

Any other cars that could use the Pennzoil? I'd wait til 1 year hits and then change the oil.

I've got other cars that could use the Ultra Platinum or some slightly used Mobil 1 5w30 EP.

Not many members had experience with plug-in hybrid, it is hard to say what to do with OCI of a plug-in hybrid. Chevy recommends 2 years then I would go with that 2 years, especially you have M1 EP in it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Your driving must be mostly local, short trips?

In this case, with the engine running as a range extender, why does it matter?

Leave it. Sell the extra oil at a loss like many BITOG members do when their idea of a stash exceeds real world needs....

My stash is at Walmart............

Last edited:

Mostly around town. My commute is about 28 miles round trip so it's easy not to need to use gas.

You can wait and use the GM interval. Check your oil monthly and you'll see the oil use if any and how the oil darkens with use. That way you'll be confortable.

If you see any water/condensate in the oil, I'd be surprised, late model engines run cleaner then ever.

Q > is the oil filter a spin-on or a cartridge?

I put a pair of FilterMags on all spin-on oil filter applications, I can go 8,000 miles before the oil even darkens, UOA show 60% wear metals then before!

Nice car, enjoy
smile.gif

Change the oil every two years. That stash will last until 2025 or so. you're good to go
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Not many members had experience with plug-in hybrid, it is hard to say what to do with OCI of a plug-in hybrid. Chevy recommends 2 years then I would go with that 2 years, especially you have M1 EP in it.

+1

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Do these need a 220v hookup?

They don't need it, but it does charge much quicker with 240.
I have not seen any plug-in or hybrid that will not allow 120v. Some places that is all you may have, and a little power charging is better than none. My mother-in-laws cousin has a Volt and whenever she visits her, she just uses an extension cord from the 120v plug in the garage to the car outside. By the time she leaves in the morning, the car is charged.

What's bad if memory serves me is the Volt takes premium gas and here that costs you a
extra 70-80 cents a gallon.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What's bad if memory serves me is the Volt takes premium gas and here that costs you a
extra 70-80 cents a gallon.

Even if true the engine ran for 1/8th of the miles driven. Doesn't sound like a deal breaker.

From what I'm reading it appears that the engine doesn't power the car, it just runs a generator that restores the battery.

"When the battery runs low on electric charge, Volt seamlessly engages its gas-powered generator to keep you going for a total range of up to 420 miles1 on a full charge and full tank of gas."

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

In this case, with the engine running as a range extender, why does it matter?

If most of the trips are short, only the (BIG) battery is used and the engine is just along for the ride. If the trips are long enough to deplete the (BIG) battery, then the engine fires up to keep enough juice in the battery for the car to function.

And, yes, at times the engine can be directly coupled to the drive train, but that's outside the scope of this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back