Is this GM executive serious ? Or he's a moron ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm not 100% sure of the comparison of the comparison between US and Euro gasolines, but, going from 87 to 91 on my parents' escape (2.0 EB) nets a 10% improvement easily.

No it doesn't.

I can throw in a couple of comments...

European gasoline has always been specified for BOTH RON and MON. Usually it's 95 min. RON and 85 min. MON. No batch of gasoline leaves the refinery unless it's been put through both tests.
In days gone by, Associated Octel used to run detailed gasoline quality surveys and typically they would find a difference of nine octane numbers between RON & MON so typically Euro gasoline is 90.5 RON in US-speak.
One thing to bear in mind in this debate is that extra octane in not 'free'. If you want higher octane leaving the refinery gate, that comes at a significantly higher energy input and naphtha conversion cost. The question is simply one of does the extra fuel economy get incurred within the refinery or the car's engine.

This guy is an exec at a large company, he's just making stuff up. If the cars get bad mpg numbers, blame the gas, the gas industry, the government anyone but your division.

"I could run a 4 minute mile if I had shorts made from gold fibers, but since no one makes shorts like that, I can't do it, it's not my fault.

Maybe so. There is much that can be done with the injection,timing and raising the compression can work wonders. There are people claiming Amsoil gives them a 5% increase . Some people claim a 5% increase when dropping to a 5W-20 from a 5W-30.

If they are looking for a real savings they need to fire that monkey in the suit and get back to basics. E 10 aint gonna help the mpg situation as well as all cars need full synthetic oils,no blend. Too many of these cars could achieve this mileage mile marker if some exhausts were re-worked to flow better and we got the diesel engines like they do in Europe. I honestly in my heart of hearts believe the members of BITOG could tune,make,engineer,design, and market a car better than these idiots or just this one who has let his stupidy out of the bag.

Problem with higher octane and a good hard winter is mileage tanks. Also if a car sits outside,doesnt refill often and has E 10+ in winter your going to have problems where puregas is much more effective/efficient. I run 87 E 0 although it does suggest 91 fuel in our RX350 and its great year round and it only gets a fill up every two weeks.

Gm executives are not in the oil industry.

I concur statement was off however executives do not have to come from their industry to be effective and strong leaders. Being an engineer and technical I always thought this but realized an engineering degree and honestly wished I picked up business end not the technical expertise I have now.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2198325/E10_-_where's_the_4c/L_go_

Originally Posted By: Shannow
When E10 was introduced, at a petrol cost of 80-90c/L, the saving was 4c/L.

that rode for quite some time, even 'though the gap should really have widened as petrol got more expensive.

Currently, ULP is $1.35/L, and E10 saves 2.7c/L.

Makes absolutely zero sense for a consumer to buy the stuff.

before that...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=445164

By new years day 2017 E5 will be replaced by E10 here. We're already being warmed to the idea that the liter price will go up by about 2 euro cents because of that...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I'm not sure with modern refining and catalytic processes that the old "cuts" from the distillation column being "useful" or "useless", aka why diesel used to be so cheap are actual factors anymore...Shell's V-Power down here bucks the typical high octane trend of higher octane lower density trough some method of refining that give high RON AND high energy density.

I would certainly hope that's true... but I still suspect that making the octane enhancing additives is a pretty energy-intensive process. If the real goal is to use less crude oil, you have to look at the total system of building and using a vehicle, and lawmakers are generally HORRIBLE at doing that. They make a mandate that all vehicles have to get XX miles per gallon, and totally neglect the fact that many of the ways to achieve that goal burn a lot of energy on the front-end during manufacturing (building batteries for hybrid cars, for example).

Originally Posted By: crinkles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfEcZWwdjoo

Love this guy...the Ozzy Jeremy Clarkson!!

Actually what he says sort of makes sense. There's the technical thing which says one thing and there's the economic thing once you overlay price which says another. It's the reason I shop at Aldi (the cheap shop for chavs) rather than Waitrose (the expensive shop for the UKs aspiring middle-class and socially needy).

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Too many of these cars could achieve this mileage mile marker if some exhausts were re-worked to flow better and we got the diesel engines like they do in Europe. I honestly in my heart of hearts believe the members of BITOG could tune,make,engineer,design, and market a car better than these idiots or just this one who has let his stupidy out of the bag.

There are too many regulations (and cost considerations) that restrict what engineers are allowed to do. Better flowing exhaust = longer warm-up = failed emissions. Some of the most fun I had as a development engineer was to slap on prototype exhaust manifolds, bigger charge coolers, and other tricks. Would never be legal but the amount of power produced was awesome.

Diesel emissions in the States are different than Europe so a quick move over is not possible. If the US could change their emissions standards to match Europe I would be interested to see if diesels would gain popularity with the extra options that exist almost overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back