Looking for oil suggestion Chevy Express 3500 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to do my own oil changes in my new to me Chevy Express 3500 Van. I got a little over whelmed last time I started doing research into what oil to use in my Motocross bike so I was dreading this (I may be reopening that research as well). Hopefully someone can help make this task much easier, or at the very least give me a solid starting point to get me through until I can do further research. So here it goes.

1. Vehicle is a Chevy Express 3500 with the 6.0L.
2. Owners manual calls for 5w-30 with GM Standard GM6094M and API certification. It does not give a change interval instead the engine computer has some algorithm it uses to determine when it needs to be changed. (Side note: Does anyone know if that is trustworthy?)
3. I live in Michigan but will be traveling to Florida with the van in the winter.
4. I drive pretty easy when I drive this van. I try to get as good as gas mileage as possible when driving it. Normally set cruise at 68.
5. This van will only be used on weekends for longer hauls. It's used to transport my motocross bike to and from tracks. Most are an hour drive or more. And mostly highway.
6. Van has no problems. Compression check was good. lowest cylinder read 160psi and the factory manual calls for a minimum of 100psi. The spread between cylinders was less then 30% per the manual. It does have 166,000 miles on it so I'm not sure if high mileage oil is a worthy investment or a marketing ploy.

I could put this in another sub forum but any quick advice on an oil filter. Read some brief things in that forum waiting for my approval and it seemed some people were really against the louvers and other filters had very small amounts of filtration media when cut open. Any quick advice would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise Ill search that forum more now that I have that function.

I understand there is not one superior best oil in all situations. But I hope to at least get some advice on decent oils and filters and avoid the possibility of using junk in my engine.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Last edited:
I would look at Pennzoil High Mileage Full Synthetic or Castrol Edge High Mileage. Michigan winters are tough so a synthetic will start better and get you a bit more mpg. Also get on some oil websites,check which one meets your needs and specs and find one within your budget. I wouldnt use less than a high mileage synblend oil.Welcome to bobistheoilguy
welcome2.gif

They got a Original 6 Hockey Team up there so you need good oil to drive to Joe Louis Arena in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Is your 3500 van gas or Diesel?

6.0 is a gas engine

@goofball- I have the 6.0 in my Silverado as well. I'd stick to Fram ultra or AC Delco for the filter and any 5w30 syn blend or full synthetic. Next oil change I'm going to run some Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in mine.

And
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Searching for an oil can be stressful and hard to make a decision. But, honestly, your engine is going to last the same amount of time regardless. Any name brand oil in the proper weight will work just fine and last you just as long as the competition.

But, different oils may help with a ticking noise, a leak, an engine that burns oil, an engine that is driven harder than normal etc.

Mobil 1 5w30 would work fine, as would any other brand such as Pennzoil Platinum.

These engines are known to burn some oil, it's completely normal. Check the level often and top off as needed.

dang the tick reminded me it does have some lifter tick. but knowing that its normal I don't normally think about it. If there is an oil that could quiet that it would be pretty awesome lol. Yeah this thing has a pretty bad oil pan and valve cover leak. thus the reason for this post. Planning to crawl under it tomorrow so the oil change will be necessary.

Last edited:
My escalade has the GM 6.0L engine. I have used 0, 5, and 10 w30 in syn and syn blend, many different brands. All has worked perfect

Does yours have the oil service light that uses the algorithm or do you just change it at specified mileage? Im curious if i can trust that light at all or should just change it at 3000 miles like normal.

welcome2.gif

Any 5w30 will meet the 6094M standard. You can use the computer's suggested interval with no problem
smile.gif

Use whatever is on sale. Napa Synthetic is on sale for $2.99/qt until 8/31. It is rebranded Synpower. Pair it with a Napa Gold filter.

Kmart has Smittys synthetic blend for $1.99/qt or $7.99 for a 5qt jug until Saturday. High mileage only a little more.

There's a user on here, Turk, who has a 6.0L in his Silverado that had a tick and he used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 and he says it made the tick go away, he updated after like a year and says it still was dead quiet. That oil is certified for use in gasoline engines too.

Changing oil at 3,000 miles is throwing away good oil.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
My escalade has the GM 6.0L engine. I have used 0, 5, and 10 w30 in syn and syn blend, many different brands. All has worked perfect

Truth. The last thing you need to do in a late model GM V8 is worry about oil.

Consider a high mileage blend if consumption is high. These engines seldom leak oil at all IME here. We run 5w-30 in them usually to north of 200k miles, then switch to maxlife if and when they get noisy.

Keep the PCV circuit clean, it usually plugs up if you don't get enough highway cruising!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back