Mobil 5w30 Super 5,000 OCI, bought on clearance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was at the Naval Air Station Jacksonville gas station today and they had some Mobil 5w30 Super 5,000 on clearance for some reason priced at $10.49/5qt jug with no tax. I couldn't help myself at that price so I picked up 5. I plan on using it in my 1987 4Runner 2.4 4cyl and possibly in my 2004 Lexus ES330 3.3 V-6. What would be a suitable OCI or sample interval for these two vehicles with this oil. I've established a history of safe OCI on the Lexus with various full synthetic oils of 7.5-10k depending on the oil used and the 4Runner has proven it can go 5k safely on even Super Tech conventional 5w30. 4Runner sees almost exclusively short trips in town of 12-25 miles. Lexus has a daily commute of 115 miles round trip plus various short trips on the weekends. Should I stick to 5k for both or would 7.5k be OK in the Lexus? The 4Runner currently has 315,56902 miles and the Lexus has roughly 144,000.

Looking forward to the inputs.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Should I stick to 5k for both or would 7.5k be OK in the Lexus? The 4Runner currently has 315,56902 miles and the Lexus has roughly 144,000.

With that mileage and age of vehicles, I would go 7500 on each. M5000 is good stuff. I have used a lot of it through the years.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Well I was at the Naval Air Station Jacksonville gas station today and they had some Mobil 5w30 Super 5,000 on clearance for some reason priced at $10.49/5qt jug with no tax. I couldn't help myself at that price so I picked up 5. I plan on using it in my 1987 4Runner 2.4 4cyl and possibly in my 2004 Lexus ES330 3.3 V-6. What would be a suitable OCI or sample interval for these two vehicles with this oil. I've established a history of safe OCI on the Lexus with various full synthetic oils of 7.5-10k depending on the oil used and the 4Runner has proven it can go 5k safely on even Super Tech conventional 5w30. 4Runner sees almost exclusively short trips in town of 12-25 miles. Lexus has a daily commute of 115 miles round trip plus various short trips on the weekends. Should I stick to 5k for both or would 7.5k be OK in the Lexus? The 4Runner currently has 315,56902 miles and the Lexus has roughly 144,000.

Looking forward to the inputs.

Every once in a while there are some good deals on the Military bases. Last winter my son scored a bunch of AFE 0W30 for $2 a qt. at Fort Lee. He had similar scores at NAS Whidbey over the years as well. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

you can almost guarantee with a sound engine any SN Dexos oil will go 5,000 miles easy. This isn't the 1970s.

Full synthetic is not a spec and you were like likely not using a full synthetic oil.

Spec is to same performance GF5 /SN.
There are NO conventional ILSAC oils.

fore-runner 5-6k lexus 7-8K.

I am thinking of using Mobil 5000 after years of using pennzoil as my Dino choice i tried valvoline max life and liked it but since my brother is going to be stocking Mobil 1 and Mobil Dino at his new shop i think that will be my Dino choice also. He will be getting a good price from our oil guy but that wont be for another month or so.

I don't know how Mobil 5000 stacks up against Pennzoil but im sure its close or maybe even better in some ways. Pennzoil changed formulations according to some on here so im not really sure.

PQIA 5w-20 tests

It's all about what you prefer. If you want a high sodium, no moly, no boron, and low titanium oil then M5K fits that bill. When PYB was last tested it lots of Boron and Moly. The TBN on M5K wasn't all that impressive against its peers. I'll stick with the PYB, GTX, and others vs M5K. I bought some M5K 5w-30 last year to use in my 2002 4.6L. Then changed my mind and returned it a few months later....going with cheaper PP 5w-30 instead.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Make sure to submit your rebate. Mobil rebate

I was actually wondering if this qualified for the rebate. I'm glad it does, that makes this score even better! Drops the price to $3.49/5qt jug or about $0.69/quart. That's a darn good price. Combined with my rock auto filter score makes for a $5.00 oil change with my $1.41 filters.

Is there any limit to the TOTAL rebate in number of jugs or total $$$ allowed to be rebated? If not I'm going to go back and buy the remaining 8-10 jugs and have quite the stash of $0.69/qt oil!

Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back