Check Engine Light - Infiniti Q50S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
If you pull off the battery cable to clear a code (doesn't always work) then all your presets in the car and radio may be lost too!!

If it's at all like my G37, the radio presets and audio settings will be fine. I spent a bunch of time writing them down when I changed my battery, for no reason. The memory seat and the climate control settings will be lost, though.

Yeah, I don't even have tools for the battery anyway. It's a new car so didn't think I needed it and I needed the tiny trunk space for my luggage as I'll be here for 3 more weeks. I occasionally share this car with the wife and between the 20 preset radio stations for each of us (SXM + Local for NYC/DC), Bluetooth for both phones, heated steering setting, active lane assist, sport mode setting, etc, it just not worth to reset by pulling the battery when I know it's a loose gas cap. It's been sitting at more than 3/4 tank so maybe that's it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The evap monitor can take some time to run its test and the new ones like yours can be even longer.
Clearing the codes wont do anything but put the CEL out, it will still need to run the evap monitor and all the others also. AFAIK there is no way for the dealer to "hurry up" the monitoring process, it needs to take its course.

Just drive it, as long as the CEL doesn't blink and the engine is running normally (meaning the code was for something other than a P455 gross evap leak and its just a coincidence that the cap was loose) you will be fine.

Will do. I'll just wait till I use a bit of gas and see if it goes away. If not, I'll just head to the dealer. I knew it wasn't anything serious when I saw the gas cap wasn't even screwed on. I only posted since most cars I've noticed will turn the light off after driving 50 miles or so.

I have a full garage setup at home with a lift and do a lot of work on my own for all my previous cars out of warranty and basic maintenance items for newer warrantied cars. For someone to make such grossly childish assumptions about me and my spending just makes me scratch and shake my head.

Originally Posted By: r34dy2fly
Yeah, I don't even have tools for the battery anyway. It's a new car so didn't think I needed it and I needed the tiny trunk space for my luggage as I'll be here for 3 more weeks. I occasionally share this car with the wife and between the 20 preset radio stations for each of us (SXM + Local for NYC/DC), Bluetooth for both phones, heated steering setting, active lane assist, sport mode setting, etc, it just not worth to reset by pulling the battery when I know it's a loose gas cap. It's been sitting at more than 3/4 tank so maybe that's it.

The radio will be fine, but I can't speak for the sport modes and stuff. Mine doesn't have that. I don't know about Bluetooth settings, either, since I despise telephones.

I remember that I spent more time writing down the settings (which didn't need to be written down) than I did changing the battery. The battery was disconnected for less than two minutes.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Just wait. DONT PULL BATT, or, ECU fuse unless you want to possibly screw up 10 other things

Agreed. You really want to avoid disconnecting the battery on a modern car, especially this one, since it's chock-full-o-nuts packed with the latest electronic gadgets that rely on constant power source and will raise all sorts of alarms if that power gets cut.

Light turned off. Guess I just needed to be in that sweet spot for gas range. Also took a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back