Is there a market for a used tool box? w/Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are buying a new house that has a larger garage than our current house. We are scheduled to close and move in next week. After taking a lot of measurements it looks like we will finally be able to park both my Honda Civic and her Nissan Rogue in the garage together and still have room to open the doors and get in or out of the vehicles. However, I have a large Craftsman rollaway tool box and a homemade 5 foot work bench that I built about 8 years ago. I still want to save as much space as possible in our new garage so I am thinking about paring down the tools I use and buying a smaller box that will fit in one corner of the garage and allow me to park my car in front of it. This is the box I am considering:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-W-9-Drawer-Mobile-Work-Bench-Black-75809AHR/205562434

I would like to sell my old Craftsman box, it is still in great shape, but I just do not need such a large box any more. Both of our vehicles are fairly new and under extended warranty so I doubt I will be doing near the amount of heavy wrenching I used to do to keep my old Dodge Dakota in good running condition. It is a sad fact but since I bought my Honda about all I do now for either vehicle is change the oil and rotate the tires. I have found that I do not need a large box full of brake tools, cut-off tools, specialty wrenches, 3 jaw pullers, u-joint removal tools, and only God knows what else I have crammed in that Craftsman box. I would like to just have my basic hand tools such as screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, stereo installation-related tools, hammers, a few files, maybe some basic woodworking tools like my old Skill Saw and jigsaw, drills, drill bits, and other basic hand tools that see the most frequent use now.

The point of this long-winded post is to find out whether there is a market for my old Craftsman box. I would like to sell it, I sure don't need two boxes, but would anyone really want to buy a used tool box when they could just drop on down to Home Depot and pick up a new one for $298.00? I thought about putting it on Craigs List but have heard CL is full of scammers and dirtbags. There is a local weekly classified ad sales paper here, but it is hard to know if I would get any response from it. Here are pics of my Craftsman box and work bench:

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Post this question up on garagejournal.com

There are "tool flippers" as well as genuine collectors and they'll argue over a good price.

It's very possible that Craftsman from 20 years ago is better built and will get top dollar.

CL is not full of dirtbags. Just do cash only. I have bought 4 times that come to mind, but I have not sold. I am not a [censored]. Went to a home twice. Met at store midway between us once. They delivered dryer...

If you can deliver, that would add value. Most things you have to go pick up.

I think they have a system where the buyer emails to a special CL email address. Have them put their phone number in.

http://www.fraudguides.com/internet/craigslist/

I don't see how the Husky box would take up less space than the Craftsman.

You better think long and hard about selling that Craftsman box because they don't make them like that no more. The new ones are flimsy junk.

I agree with ^ in terms of the floor space. But if you want to downsize I would probably go with craigslist to sell it. Unless you want to donate it to avoid the hassle of unknown people coming to your house to check out what you got.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't see how the Husky box would take up less space than the Craftsman.

It's not the box I am worried about. I would still like to have a work bench/work surface and to keep the Craftsman box would mean either keeping my old work bench at the new house or building a smaller one that would still take up valuable space in my garage. If I buy the Husky or another box like it I could have tool storage and work surface in one unit which would ultimately take up a lot less space. I plan to put a garage cabinet next to my new box to store most of my car care stuff. In my old garage had 3 metal shelf units all crammed with car stuff, different types of wax, towels, fluids, oil, wheel bearing grease, jack stands, you name it, all kinds of stuff I would use on my truck and my wife's car too. My idea is to save as much space as possible in our new garage so we can both park in it and also have room to store my lawn mower and yard work tools.

I can't speak for your area, but I've never had a single issue selling something on Craigslist. One gentleman who bought a set of tractor turf tires from me a few years ago showed up about 11:30 AM, and ended up staying for lunch before he left.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I can't speak for your area, but I've never had a single issue selling something on Craigslist. One gentleman who bought a set of tractor turf tires from me a few years ago showed up about 11:30 AM, and ended up staying for lunch before he left.

You are lucky, Pop Rivit. Around here in the Orlando area I have heard that when you show up to make your transaction with the Craigslist "buyer" he will show up with several buddies/thugs/goons and take your item away from you and you get nothing, or you get beat up or worse. That was a few years back, maybe things have changed but I am not interested in having strangers come to my house.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: dareo
Easily worth 200-300 or more. Deliver to Utah? lol
I don't think so myself.it has sliders and not roller drawers.

Yep, it sure does have old school slider drawers. I lube them up with spray silicone every so often and they slide just as smooth as any ball bearing drawer I have ever opened. The more I think about it I would like to keep the box I have and just re-organize it with the tools I now need and use most often and store away the other tools I don't have much use for.

I have been reading up on it tonight and saw some great bench/storage solutions online. I may just get a couple of 36" plastic or metal cabinets and mount a good piece of white birch plywood across the tops to make a smaller work bench that still has storage underneath. Or just build myself a smaller bench after we get moved in and the rest of the house is situated. Either way would be less expensive than buying a new tool box and a lot less trouble than trying to sell my Craftsman box.

Craigslist without a doubt. It'll sell quickly if priced right. I've sold between $100-200k worth of stuff on Craigslist with zero problems and bought a few things too. I always bring a firearm if purchasing but have no concerns when selling something. It is no different than advertising in a paper except you'll get much better exposure as selling in the paper is going the way of the dinosaurs.

I have that husky box bought new late 2014, keep an eye on it because it can drop as low as $220. As an amateur occasional wrencher is works perfect for me. Beware when googling though, internet critics say it has HIV (thin metal walls) and other nonsense.

New aircraft mechanics (as well as those who have been in for a while but are looking to upgrade their tool boxes) are always in the market for a tool box.

If you don't want Craigslist people at your home, find your nearest A&P school or airport, drop by, and hand out some flyers. You'll have that box sold inside of a week. Those are exactly the kind of boxes that are highly sought-after, used, by us A&Ps.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

You are lucky, Pop Rivit. Around here in the Orlando area I have heard that when you show up to make your transaction with the Craigslist "buyer" he will show up with several buddies/thugs/goons and take your item away from you and you get nothing, or you get beat up or worse. That was a few years back, maybe things have changed but I am not interested in having strangers come to my house.

Wow, must be awful to live in Florida, beyond the humidity, hurricanes, etc.

Around here a simple set of emails, and you can meet up with friendly folks all over. I've had a good number at my home. For high dollar value items, a local PD does have a CL meetup point aimed for women and transactions with a decent amount of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back