Should I change the oil when changing spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I'm gonna be changing out the spark plugs on my car. Smelled a little gas on the dipstick which definitely wasn't there last week. Car has done mostly local runs since I last checked the dip stick.

I came across some info that said that when changing spark plugs, the oil should also be changed if you smell gas. Internet myth or fact in my case?

Only 1200 miles on this OCI.
Thanks in advance!
I've only begun DIYing this summer so please don't mind if my questions seem silly.

If you suddenly smell raw gas after only 1200 miles in the oil there is a problem somewhere did you get a cel? Was it raw gas or just the usual oil smell

I would give the car a good run of a few hundred miles. If the oil still smells of fuel, change the oil - but not because you changed the sparkplugs. There is no reason that a sparkplug change would necessitate an oil change.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
If you suddenly smell raw gas after only 1200 miles in the oil there is a problem somewhere did you get a cel? Was it raw gas or just the usual oil smell

I pretty much put my nose against the paper towel and it smelled more like gasoline than the normal oil smell. No check engine.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
I would give the car a good run of a few hundred miles. If the oil still smells of fuel, change the oil - but not because you changed the sparkplugs. There is no reason that a sparkplug change would necessitate an oil change.

Np my mom took the car to New Jersey today so it'll get a good 200 mile run on the highway and thank you for letting me know about the spark plugs.
I'll give an update once she gets back

Myth. Unless you pour something in the plug hole, changing plugs has no effect on the oil.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Myth. Unless you pour something in the plug hole, changing plugs has no effect on the oil.

Not exactly a myth. These are both rational, independent responses to ssuspected fuel diution.New plugs hopes to improve ignition (cause) new oil assumes it's contaminated (effect). Without a better diagnosis I wouldn't do either.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help guys. Just doing a long due tune up that the PO did not do. I'll keep tabs on the oil and get back if it's the same. Spark plugs are just routine maintenance since the last tune up was done at 65k.

Fuel smell is all but gone after 200 miles. Thank you all. I'll be replacing the spark plugs soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back