Maxima synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local race shop and Redline oil Distributor, no longer carries Redline oil. I called them last week and they are carrying, and pushing the Maxima oil. I was considering the Redline 20w50 but since they no longer sell it, I did a search on the Maxima oil and it seems to be similar to Redline, Motul, Amsoil etc. I found an old thread from 2008 on a bitog search but that's all. Does anyone here know anything about the Maxima synthetic oil?

"How is it similar to the other oils besides being priced way way out of the ballpark ?"

^ It's actually several dollars cheaper per qt than the Redline and Motul and about the same price as Amsoil. ^ My sump holds 2 1/2 qts...I don't think the few extra dollars will bankrupt me. So...back to the original question...

I like your style!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
"How is it similar to the other oils besides being priced way way out of the ballpark ?"

^ It's actually several dollars cheaper per qt than the Redline and Motul and about the same price as Amsoil. ^ My sump holds 2 1/2 qts...I don't think the few extra dollars will bankrupt me. So...back to the original question...

Does anyone here know anything about the Maxima synthetic oil?

I've tried it. It was ok but I felt there were better options. Out of all the oils I've tried my preference just based on how the bikes run and shift is Motul 300V 4T, followed by Redline M/C oil.

I was never into the high priced oils i don't believe in the hype..All the years in the engine business i never saw a difference in engine wear from on oil to another.. We rebuilt engines at all mileages that used any oil that was on hand to engines serviced at high end dealerships using only certain synthetics.

I use Regular synthetic in some engines and dino in others and never had an oil related problem.. Are these high end oil better?? Maybe or maybe not but either way there are no engine companies or oil companies that can say this oil is guaranteed to be better than another.

I'm interested in possibly having a bit of a cooling advantage in my air/oil cooled Harley. If I can get that advantage of the engine running 10 to 15 degrees cooler by using an Ester based synthetic, I might be ahead of the game even though each oil change is costing me $15 or $20 more per change. I'm not the least bit concerned about engine wear between the 2 oil types, only that the Ester might give me an advantage over the heat.

^ And I might extend my drain intervals using the Ester based oil from 2,500 miles to 5,000 miles.

I'm interested in possibly having a bit of a cooling advantage in my air/oil cooled Harley. If I can get that advantage of the engine running 10 to 15 degrees cooler by using an Ester based synthetic, I might be ahead of the game even though each oil change is costing me $15 or $20 more per change. I'm not the least bit concerned about engine wear between the 2 oil types, only that the Ester might give me an advantage over the heat.

http://www.two2cool.com/

Mik, The Two2cool/Syncool oils seem to be linked/associated with Lubriplate. I'm sort of familiar with Lubriplate, grease IIRC, but I've never heard of the Two2cool, Syncool brands. Do you have any experience with them?

I purchased a 5G pail of the Pro Plus for my Concours. I was able to get it for $6.40 a quart delivered. When I saw this thread I emailed Maxima and their response was that the Pro Plus is a combination of Group IV and Group V so I guess for the price it seems like a decent deal. I am on my first fill, maybe I can get up an analysis on the next one.

Originally Posted By: smoothxman
I purchased a 5G pail of the Pro Plus for my Concours. I was able to get it for $6.40 a quart delivered. When I saw this thread I emailed Maxima and their response was that the Pro Plus is a combination of Group IV and Group V so I guess for the price it seems like a decent deal. I am on my first fill, maybe I can get up an analysis on the next one.

That sounds like a good price. Care to share where you purchase it at?

Amazon, just checked its up to $132 per 5 gallon, or if my math is correct $6.60 per qt. That's delivered.

Originally Posted By: smoothxman
Amazon, just checked its up to $132 per 5 gallon, or if my math is correct $6.60 per qt. That's delivered.

I just saw that! Good price. I'm not sure if I would use 5 gallons with only one bike. That's like 7-8 3k mile oil changes.

I noticed looking at UOA's that this oil has like 2500pp zinc and phos. I wonder if it would do any harm to bikes with catalytic converters?

Anti-wear wise it looks to be super stout compared to most.

as far as I recall a certain amount of ZDDP is good for antiwear but above certain levels itÄs actually bad for the engine, damaging the internals. At least that's what I read on here on the forums.

I wonder if 2400ppm ZDDP is safe to run in a street driven motorcycle?

Maxima makes some awesome stuff! I used to run it exclusively. One thing I used to keep on hand was their SC1 spray detailer. Nothing shined up my old Kawasaki original paint like that did. And it lasted a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back