Camaro 2.0T review by subaruwrxfan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to take home a Camaro 2.0T for a few days. My viewpoint was that a muscle car had to have a V8. But after driving the 2.0T I really don't know if a V8 is required anymore.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I was able to take home a Camaro 2.0T for a few days. My viewpoint was that a muscle car had to have a V8. But after driving the 2.0T I really don't know if a V8 is required anymore.

I still feel this way about pony cars personally, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the actual performance of that 2.0T Camaro. It's actually pretty great.

I used to think the same thing,"muscle car = V8" but that Camaro 2.0T looks mighty nice.

It is interesting that Chevrolet is offering real performance in all the different models.

My fav is the V6 with the 6 speed stick. It has a package that gives it V8 wheels, tires, and brakes. Could be a great performer... but still will not sound like the 6.2!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It is interesting that Chevrolet is offering real performance in all the different models.

My fav is the V6 with the 6 speed stick. It has a package that gives it V8 wheels, tires, and brakes. Could be a great performer... but still will not sound like the 6.2!

That V8 sound IS spectacular! Agreed.

I haven't driven the new turbo four Camaro but, I own a '14 V8 Camaro that I traded a Mazdaspeed3 for. The Mazda has a very similar power curve to the Camaro 4 but weighs 500 lbs less. Based on this experience, I'm guessing that the Camaro 4 would be very unimpressive, especially with the a/c on. Plus, you would have to flog it so hard, it wouldn't get much better mileage. Camaro6 forums are bearing this out.

It is big outside but very little room inside. A 6 ft driver at normal driving position will not leave much room for backseat passenger, if he/she is 6 ft.

Camaro is known as 2 + 2 kids car.

For similar cost Mustang is a better car.

LS V8 engines have no rival when it comes to any enthusiast/aftermarket stuff. When you look at all the options there are to do with the LS V8 platform you just cannot accept anything less, if you are an actual enthusiast. Curb weights, MPGs, even the price of the camaro do not really matter when you could have had THE V8 engine. If you love turbos that much just put one or two onto your LS V8.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It is big outside but very little room inside. A 6 ft driver at normal driving position will not leave much room for backseat passenger, if he/she is 6 ft.

If you need room for 4 6-foot adults, Both the Mustang & Camaro are POOR choices.

Not much room to haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood and construction materials either.

Originally Posted By: dareo
LS V8 engines have no rival when it comes to any enthusiast/aftermarket stuff. When you look at all the options there are to do with the LS V8 platform you just cannot accept anything less, if you are an actual enthusiast. Curb weights, MPGs, even the price of the camaro do not really matter when you could have had THE V8 engine. If you love turbos that much just put one or two onto your LS V8.

My very first car was a '68 Firebird 350 (bronze with cream vinyl top) but I would also have no issue owning the Camaro 2.0T.

Originally Posted By: dareo

This. For the price of the Camaro and what you are buying a pony car for, in stock form the SS flogs the competition. Guys are running low 12s high 11s high on street tires and tearing it up at the road course.
If you are worried about the back seat and want to be first loser...pick up a new...

Road and track

But if we're going to eat forest in either of these two, we're more likely to do so in the Mustang. Bowman can't believe that a car that felt so right last year is now "loose and wallowy."

After two days driving over the relief left behind by the Great Buzzard, there's no doubt the Camaro, with its Cadillac platform and Corvette engine, is the thoroughbred of its class. We can't believe it. The Camaro is almost too composed. The balance is sublime. It's refined and exciting. Has this once fat lout of a car become a bona fide sports car?

Did that just happen?

It happened.

Car and Driver...

With lower weight, higher power, more gears, and greater grip, the Camaro walked all over the Mustang in our performance testing. Goodyear Eagle F1 rubber helps produce a Porsche-like 147-foot stopping distance and lateral grip that flirts with 1.0 g. While it favors understeer in most situations, the Camaro was far more wieldy running through the slalom, pivoting better than the Mustang under acceleration and deceleration. In a straight line, breaking four seconds to 60 mph put the Chevy half a second ahead of the Ford, a gap that grew to 0.7 second by the end of quarter-mile.

The Camaro’s Corvette powertrain and Cadillac chassis are some of the best parts in GM’s storerooms. The Camaro SS rockets to triple-digit speeds and whips around corners with poise. It’s the small-block–powered ATS-V that Cadillac will never build, yet it costs almost $20,000 less than the turbo ATS-V that it does. This Camaro defines an era where the eight-cylinder American muscle car is more than cheap power and brash styling. But it hasn’t forgotten the cheap power or the brash styling.

So yeah you can have your back seat...
wink.gif

Having said all that. I drove a 2.0 turbo. I could live with it. Did what it had to do just fine.

Would like to take a spin in the 6cyl. I will have to assume it runs about as fast as a 4th gen with a LS1.

I had early 70's Mustang for some years, during those years I couldn't imagine I would own a Camaro. I do bias forward Mustang !

Personally, I like Mustang more because it is smaller outside so handling on narrow mountain roads feels more secure.

The Chevy dealer here orders just about all their Camaros with the $1500 V6 option, many also get the power moonroof which is around $900. They have a used loaded 2.0T manual with less than 500 miles on it. It even has the RS package with 20 inch factory wheels. Prior owner only had it a few months. Maybe they traded it in for the V6. Here it is:

http://www.firment.com/VehicleDetails/used-2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-LT-Avon-OH/2775465983

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back