some strange lawsuits against fast food franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole story with the lady and the mcdonalds coffee and the recent story of the too much ice in an ice coffee is a quick way to 'P' me off.

It's like people have no idea of the meaning to voluntary exchanges.

Edit: sorry, they can't even grasp voluntary.... one word at a time...

Last edited:
My daughter works at ☆$ and they will remake anything. If you don't like it, just ask the barista to make it they way you want it.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
the finger in the wendy's chili sure backfired!

lol

Yeah it did. I remember the story, certainly never knew that happened.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
The whole story with the lady and the mcdonalds coffee and the recent story of the too much ice in an ice coffee is a quick way to 'P' me off.

The lady with the McDonald's coffee suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns and had to have extensive reconstructive surgery. She didn't simply "spill coffee in her lap" as the article puts it.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
In Wendy's finger in chili case, it would have made my day if Wendy's counter-sued for lost sales. I like their chili.

check the recipe out here, i will try a hand at making it soon...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4186862/Wendy's_Chili_Recipe

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

The lady with the McDonald's coffee suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns and had to have extensive reconstructive surgery. She didn't simply "spill coffee in her lap" as the article puts it.

3rd degree burns from coffee that is well under 212F? Nope. Not possible for a liquid water spill. It would be hard to convince me (and probably most of us) that a coffee spill could in any way result in the need for reconstructive surgery. a 'spill' does not have the time component required for deeper burns.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

3rd degree burns from coffee that is well under 212F? Nope. Not possible for a liquid water spill. It would be hard to convince me (and probably most of us) that a coffee spill could in any way result in the need for reconstructive surgery. a 'spill' does not have the time component required for deeper burns.

No need to convince you, look it up. The facts of the case are easily researched.

Several years back, I managed a 3rd degree burn on my leg with a big surrounding 2nd degree area when I was in the process of making tea. I poured water out of the kettle into pitcher, and the pitcher cracked when it was nearly full. I didn't spend a lot of time analyzing the temperature(I was in too much pain...) but the water most certainly was not boiling and had been off heat long enough that I'd guess it in the ballpark of 190-200º. I was wearing a pair of cotton pajama pants, which stuck to my leg when I spilled the water. The burn covered most of my inner right thigh, although I'd guess the 3rd degree area was right where it had initially hit.

I'd believe 3rd degree from coffee at that temperature-again from first hand experience.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
the 3rd degree burn was the one that was't painful, right? and the area surrounding it was blistered and painful?

The woman in that case was near death several times, and required whirlpool treatment and removal of necrotic flesh.

The nail in the coffin for McDonald's was that there were well aware of this problem and had already paid out several hundreds of thousands of dollars to settle several hundred other cases of the exact same issue.

McDonald's was not an innocent and unaware party struck by a scammer.

They refused to simply pay here medical bills. The original settlement sought did not include any punitive damages. Just her medical bills. McDonald's decided to be dumb, and go to trial instead.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
the 3rd degree burn was the one that was't painful, right? and the area surrounding it was blistered and painful?

Correct-mine wasn't bad(as in the 3rd degree part was about the size of a silver dollar in the center) but-without getting too graphic I did have some necrosis and do have a scar from it 15 years later.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You have to consider the source of these complaints, people that eat at fast food restaurants.

Spoken by Holier than the rest of us....PFFFTT. Looking down from your high perch are you? Must be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back