A/C condensation in desert climates

Status
Not open for further replies.
People that live in very dry places -- Does you car A/C drip much? On summer days with <30% humidity, my cars have little-to-no water underneath. I'd think it'd be the same in Phoenix, which has less than 20% humidity daily.

I rarely see drips. Even if it did it would evaporate almost instantly. Around 10% here most summer. Hasn't rained for 3 months

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Single digit humidity, no drip. Around 12% it starts.
Yup, usually no drip. But lately it's been a tiny bit humid because the A/C has been dripping a bit. Not like other parts of the country where it's practically a fountain.

Long before my time, but I guess the old AMCs had a "Desert Only" mode that wouldn't cycle the compressor since there wasn't enough humidity in the air to ice up the evaporator. I bet that system got nice and cold!

Hornet1289304190.jpg

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I rarely see drips. Even if it did it would evaporate almost instantly. Around 10% here most summer. Hasn't rained for 3 months
months? Been years since we saw any measurable rain here
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Single digit humidity, no drip. Around 12% it starts.
Yup, usually no drip. But lately it's been a tiny bit humid because the A/C has been dripping a bit. Not like other parts of the country where it's practically a fountain.

Although rain totals are slightly below normal, this monsoon has been very humid. My home A/C condensation tube empties out on our carport, and it's been a constant drip for the last 6-7 weeks.

We get the whole gamut here, except for sub-10% humidity. Sometimes its 105 and 15%, sometimes its 95 and 85%. Sometimes in the same week.

Dripping is very minimal below 20% humidity, becomes a steady stream at 60% or more. IN the hotter/damper conditions, you can park your car and the continued dripping will make a big enough puddle to run out from under the car and out the garage door within a few minutes.

When the humidity is in the teens, there's a few drops. In the single digits, nothing visible. Then again, we cool the air in our house by putting humidity in, not taking it out.

Last edited:
In the Dallas area, the cars and trucks dip so much that the birds have actually learned to walk under them when parked in order to get a drink of water. Pretty cool to watch.

here in the south, it can almost be a solid stream of water on our humid days. Certainly 30-40 drips a minute. Typical home A/C I was told this morning can dump 22 gallons per day.

Recirc becomes a real deal because with this much humidity, the A/C's energy can be exhausted removing the condensation and won't have enough left to cool the air, so I've learned to go back and forth if needed between fresh and recirc.

it's typically a stream coming out here, when it gets warm. Seems we can't get dry heat.

Yes, some cars have a hard time to get the air cold when it's very humid, we do get complaints about that with some cars. But what can I do when the pressures, the heater mixing flap and all the sensors check out ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back