Homeowners insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a summer evening thunderstorm, we started having water dripping from our kitchen ceiling. Insurance company came out and said the roof flashing is the likely culprit but won't cover the repair since it's considered a "wear-and-tear" item. I argued, to no avail, that since the flashing came loose due to an unforeseen storm, it should be covered. They will, however, cover the resulting dry wall damage inside but that'll be less than my deductible anyway. Seems like I'm on my own now. Sucks to be paying a hefty premium all of these years only to get a big middle finger from the insurance company.

Last edited:
That's a bunch of [censored]. I had over 14K worth of water damage due to ice dams in like 4 different ceilings a few years ago and it was all covered. Change insurance company. They are a dime a dozen.

I've found good success in getting a contractor prior to the insurance coming out. A skilled contractor can word everything correctly to help ensure the insurance company covers what they are supposed to. Of course you can also have a contractor that [censored] the insurance adjuster off, so it pays to get a good recommendation.

Originally Posted By: mez
That's a bunch of [censored]. I had over 14K worth of water damage due to ice dams in like 4 different ceilings a few years ago and it was all covered. Change insurance company. They are a dime a dozen.
Yeah they will cover the damage from the roof but not the repair of the roof.

Insurance companies try to not paying as much as possible, you may have to sue them to get any payment.

We have earthquakes in California regularly, the premium is expensive and deductible is high at 10% of rebuilding the house. But regular home owner insurance cover the fire, so if your house is demolished by earthquake you don't want to shut off the gas line, you like to let it leaks and make a fire. It is not possible to prove the fire happened after the house destroyed by earthquake.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Seems like I'm on my own now. Sucks to be paying a hefty premium all of these years only to get a big middle finger from the insurance company.

Who is forcing you to buy insurance?

ok here we go.. Remember these two words.. Public Adjuster.. My insurance did not cover anything in a storm either two years ago my wife knew a public adjuster and they got me $8,822.16 and could not cancel me for it either..

The cost to the homeowner for a public adjuster here in NJ is absolutely nothing upfront until you get paid and when you do you have to give them 25% at least that is what they charged me...Im sure you may be able to get it for 20% but i figured they would work very hard fo the extra 5%
They have angles most of us never thought of and will look over your homeowners insurance policy and tell you what you should really have and not have..
So basically they will be pointing that finger at themselves..
Things may be different where you live your profile does not say so i dont know.

Who is forcing you to buy insurance?

Yeah, for what it costs I am seriously considering not getting it. I don't have a mortgage and my house isn't worth much.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
After a summer evening thunderstorm, we started having water dripping from our kitchen ceiling. Insurance company came out and said the roof flashing is the likely culprit but won't cover the repair since it's considered a "wear-and-tear" item. I argued, to no avail, that since the flashing came loose due to an unforeseen storm, it should be covered. They will, however, cover the resulting dry wall damage inside but that'll be less than my deductible anyway. Seems like I'm on my own now. Sucks to be paying a hefty premium all of these years only to get a big middle finger from the insurance company.

If you actually read your policy you'll know exactly what is covered and what is not covered. And if the flashing came loose because of a storm, then there were issues with it that you, as a homeowner, should have addressed as part of your normal home maintenance. And yes, I inspect the roof and flashing twice a year on my home, and it's never been damaged by an evening summer thunderstorm. Or a morning thunderstorm, or an overnight thunderstorm, or a mid-afternoon thunderstorm.

Insurance doesn't pay for everything, and I don't see why the insurance company should have to pay for an old faulty roof. Sometimes the homeowner has to pay their own expenses, that's just a part of owning a house.

We had an ice dam form a few years ago. It went up quite a ways on the siding to the upper level of our split-level house, higher than the flashing. There was so much snow on the roof I missed it forming. Wasn't an issue until it started melting.

The damage was far less than our deductible, so we sucked it up and repaired it. And the ventilation issue that caused the ice dam in the first place. We got a new roof that spring since the ice had lifted some shingles. Ah, the joys of homeownership!

Put it in Oil terms ...You have a car with 100K warranty and 80K on the clock and don't change the oil the whole time and the engine blows at 81K ...should the warranty replace the motor?

You need to check your Oil and you need to check your Roof ...same thing. Nothing the rest of us aren't doing too. If the flashing lookes dry or cracking get a bucket of mastic and trowel some on.

Last edited:
No insurance company pays for wear and tear. Says so in the policy. Now if the storm caused damage to your flashing (highly unlikely), then the flashing repair should be covered. A properly installed roof flashing will not come loose from a storm. The roofing material will come loose before the flashing if caused by a strong storm. Unfortunately, the adjuster got it correct. It's the same w auto insurance. If your tires are worn out, insurance will not cover the replacement of the tires.
And I don't recommend public adjusters. They are taking 20-25% of your money that should go to repairing your damage. That means they are lying to get more money, or they are leaving u short to properly fix your house.

Same thing happened to me. I figured the insurance wouldn't cover, so I ripped off a large branch and made it look like the tree did the damage. They covered it. Might be worth a try.

if he is getting nothing a public adjuster is the way to go they know how to squeeze the insurance company. And they squeeze! You have to get a good one with a powerful company behind them.. Its either that or just take the loss with a big smile knowing you saved your insurance company some green.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
if he is getting nothing a public adjuster is the way to go they know how to squeeze the insurance company. And they squeeze! You have to get a good one with a powerful company behind them.. Its either that or just take the loss with a big smile knowing you saved your insurance company some green.

If he is getting nothing because the damage is not covered, then it is what it is. If he is getting nothing because the insurance company is wrong, then go thru the state dept of Insurance. They will make the insurance company pay what is covered at no cost to the home owner. The state will protect homeowners. Public adjusters will protect their bank accounts, not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back