Paint Brushes - Home Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 inch square tubing on a steel framed fence; which width brush would you use: 1 inch, or a 1.5 inch ?

And in case it matters, the vertical spokes are 9/16 inch square tubing; spaced 3.5 inches apart.

By the way, don't even try to talk me into rattle cans; I've already gone through 4 cans and it didn't even make a dent. The fence is 30 feet by 3 feet and each part has 4 sides. Not much surface area, but the "button on time" is extensive. I'll be using oil based white enamel and I still gotta decide on a brush material and stiffness. They make too many different paint brushes for people who are clueless.

Purdy Paint Brushes

Depends how pretty it has to be, but I'd take a fairly utilitarian approach to a fence.

With white enamel I'd probably use foam for the primer and the top coat, though I'd be more likely to use black bitumastic paint.

If it didnt have to be pretty I'd apply sunflower oil by hand, with a plastic bag, and then I'd abrade it with aluminium, by powerdrill and by hand.

If silvery grey was OK I wouldn't bother top coating it.

With a rattle can too much of the paint will miss, and it probably won't look that much better anyway.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
With a rattle can too much of the paint will miss, and it probably won't look that much better anyway.

The sections that I've done look real nice, but it's going to be way too expensive that way. I was even going out at 6:00 O'clock in the morning while the wind speed was at 3 mph or less. An HVLP spray gun would probably use less paint because of the fan width being wider, but I'm not about to get a spray rig just for a steel tubing fence.

I found this on popularmechanics.com

Quote:
Brush Width: Brushes come in a wide variety of widths, commonly ranging from about 1 inch to 5 inches. Obviously you can apply more paint with a wider brush, but you should always match the brush width to the surface being painted. And it's best to choose a brush that's slightly narrower than the surface. For example, if you're painting a 4-inch-wide window casing, use a 3-1/2-inch-wide brush. A brush measuring 4 inches or wider will overlap the edges of the casing and drip paint.

LINK

Can I get a glass smooth finish with a roller ? Whenever I've used a roller, the surface would always turn out slightly textured; perfect though if the surface is already textured...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Can I get a glass smooth finish with a roller ? Whenever I've used a roller, the surface would always turn out slightly textured; perfect though if the surface is already textured...

Brush size is a preference thing and something you have to feel comfortable with. I'd probably opt for a 1" brush.

With regard to the roller, for the surface you're painting you could try applying the paint with the roller and back brushing it to get the desired finish. With the proper techniques that can lead to better coverage and a faster job. Again it's a personal preference thing.

You won't get a glassy surface with anything other than a sprayer of some sort.

If you want to try a roller or mini roller - Purdy Parrot

Brush - Purdy Ox-O in the smallest size that will work

It should just be common sense-match the brush width to what you're painting and make sure it's a brush that works for the material you're using. And if you don't want all that brush time, use a 4 inch roller for the bulk of it and a brush for the areas the roller can't get. Of course, you won't get that "glassy smooth finish" with a brush or roller.

But if it were me I'd simply get out my sprayer and spray the fence after I sanded it with the orbital sander. Of course, if the old paint were bad I'd sandblast it first.

Fence 'color' Fact:

White - Your Eyes will focus on the Fence
Black - Your Eyes will see thru the Fence and focus on what's behind it.

When I worked in a Factory, all the equiptment was covered with 'YELLOW colored' metal screening.
Where the operator worked, the screening was colored BLACK.

I asked, "why is this area colored black ? "
Answer was, "because I have to see thru it" (to see parts moving by).

1 1/2 sash brush would be my preference
smile.gif

Merk,

how up to date (not rusty) are your brush using skills? (source i hand painted both sides of the fence; it took a lot of time; lots of time=enough time for dust-in-the-wind to embed into the finish)
i would use a small roller (let's call her Rollie) 4" with a long reach handle (your back will thank me)
the oil enamel will kind off self-level

you are over thinking this way too much

and don't forget the paint can... it has a thingy called a cap: please use it. if not get the appropriate tinner

Would you guys paint across the square tubing, or parallel lengthwise ?

If I painted across the tubing, I could use a wider brush. If I painted parallel, I gotta stick with a narrow brush.

I wish I could just paint across it, but I realize that's going against standard practices.

Six years ago I had new black chain link installed on about 500' of fencing. Before the contractor stretched on the new fabric, I painted the posts and rails with a painters mitt. Doing two coats went incredibly fast. Maybe not the greatest finish, but it looks quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back