Looking For A New Car-CUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help with a new 2016-2017 with a street budget for the car alone at a max of $25,000 USD

A compact or subcompact car or CUV- I think the CUV will be ruled out because of MPG.

* Want the max mpg I can get- very important to me
* Smooth ride and a quiet drive
* Fancy radios and tires-buttons-GPS unimportant
* Easy to access engine bay for oil and filter changes- very important
* looks don't matter much
* reliability very important
* all transmissions considered.
Max passengers would be 4 but often just 1 or 2

Thanks
Dale

Where's the oil filter location on a Prius? If easily accessible, that's your car.

If you want more cargo room, Prius V.

How about a Ford Fusion Hybrid??

With the gas prices being so low, they are easy to find in the low 20's

Definitely high MPG and meets most of your other criteria as well.

Toyota has a new one for "2017 release" based on the Prius platform with AWD as an option. There's a photo in the latest Consumer Reports.

On the other end of the budget spectrum, I see that the Mitsubishi Mirage gets pretty good mileage (37/43). It won't match the Prius, but entry price is a lot lower.

Can you define the mpg need? I mean, you could buy a 2012-2014 30mpg something, pocket $10k and have a "free" 136kmiles (gas is what $2.20/gallon right now?), as compared to buying anything at $25k. Just saying, as an input. Since you're in Florida rust isn't an issue, so I'm not sure buying something several years old will matter; and saving money up front will pay for many repairs and car rentals (if necessary).

Sorry, can't help on the new vehicle recommendations, as I haven't been following lately. I would just go test drive a bunch, with a firm decision to drive and not buy. Usually the salesperson will pop the hood for you.

Hyundai makes great vehicles with the by far best Warranty although not super cheap anymore you still get lots of extras compared to most of the other makes.

A Buick Encore might be a good choice for you, it's supposedly one of the quieter small CUVs and gets 33mpg highway. The price starts at $22k.

MPG above all else? Prius.

Otherwise, there are quite a few compacts that can be had for $25k out the door with 40+ mpg highway ratings. They ought to meet that rating if they're driven somewhat conservatively.

From my experience, a small CUV will struggle to meet its highway rating going much faster than 60-65 mph. Pushing a brick through the air isn't very fuel-efficient. IIRC ours gets about 25 mpg at 70 mph.

Excellent suggestions everybody.
Several vehicles I have no experience with like the HRV and the Mirage.
Thanks!

CRV is the best in the class IMO. I would skip the HRV or the CX-3 sizes since they are just about the same cost and MPG as the larger more respected models. CRV resale is insane.

Also consider a Golf Sport Wagon if you don't have to have the high ground clearance. You get a super cheap price right now, choice of MT/AT, high MPG, just a much space inside, and an unbeatable chassis for handling and ride.

If you read any reviews, you will find that all this car has going for it is a low price. While I kinda like it, it absolutely a bottom of the barrel choice. You need to go to a Honda dealer, where you can select from the Fit, Civic, HRV, CRV and Accord. All excellent, all efficient, all reliable.

Or you can go to the Toyota Dealer and choose from the Yaris, Corolla , Rav4, Camry.

The Buick is not a good choice as it is dated, derivative, etc.

No arguments against Prius.

Why not get a Mazda CX-3? We have a guy at work who just got one. He says it was $19k out the door with an automatic. He swears by it and loves it. He also says he has been averaging 34 MPG with a lot of mixed driving. He let another guy who just bought an accord take it for a drive and now the guy with the accord cant stop talking about how much he wishes he would have looked at the Mazda. The CX-5 should also be a good option. It is bigger, but slightly more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back