Who likes their older mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
My Dad sold his 1972 Cub Cadet 129 about three years ago. He used it every year for mowing, plowing the driveway in the winter, etc... He kind of upgraded when he bought a Kubota BX25. Three cylinder Diesel engine, 60" deck, front end loader, rear plow blade, and backhoe.

L8R,
Matt

Gonna love that BX25. My dad has a Kubota zero turn and my inlaws have a g2800s. Fantastic machines.

Oh, he does! He bought when he sold the Cub. I think he has about 1500 hours on the Kubota right now. I think the driver's seat will be worn out before the tractor is!

L8R,
Matt

John Deere 12pb. This one has a Lawnboy engine, blade clutch and wheels. It was made before the silver ones. I don't use it much as it is heavy and hard to handle since it is so long. Only had it a couple years. Bought it, a hivac and a old steel discharge chute mtd for 25 bucks. This one only took cleaning the carb and bypassing the chute switch to make it run.

Use this one to trim now. Got it with the John Deere. Couldn't get the carb apart without breaking the jet bolt. New carb and a head gasket and running like new. originally had a Wisconsin on it but had this industrial Tecumseh when I got it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike72
End-of-6th-season.-Nov.-10-_zpskdz6dzv0.gif

1975 Lawn Boy in regular use.
Nice Bricktop!

Originally Posted By: locomaster1969
I don't know how to post pictures on this site. I do have a 1971 K-Mart push mower with a 3 horse Briggs. No safety features and the deck is fixed height. Mows great!!

Those old Briggs engines from the 60's and 70's were a great engine, still have two.. Tough as nails, can take a lot of abuse and neglect and they still kept going strong. About the only thing that killed them was hitting something and bending the crank.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

Nice Bricktop!

x2

These are about as cool as it gets. They are hardly ever on CL around here either.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

Nice Bricktop!

x2

These are about as cool as it gets. They are hardly ever on CL around here either.

Same here. There are always Lawn Boys for sale, but brick tops are far and few between. Find a lot more commercial LBs before seeing bricks. But some day...

L8R,
Matt

198X Honda HR214 with a GXV120. I have a 2014 Honda HRS216PDA and the new mower is complete junk when compared to my beloved HR214. I am ordering a new carburetor and carburetor gaskets for her. The HR214 still starts on the first pull, every time. I don't have the mulching plug or discharge chute but I do have a bag but I just didn't have it installed when I took the photo.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg

Nice Honda! Those older ones were just about bulletproof except some of the steel decked ones. Those mowers had a bad case of deck rot just like the dark green Craftsman mowers.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: 04SE
198X Honda HR214 with a GXV120. I have a 2014 Honda HRS216PDA and the new mower is complete junk when compared to my beloved HR214. I am ordering a new carburetor and carburetor gaskets for her. The HR214 still starts on the first pull, every time. I don't have the mulching plug or discharge chute but I do have a bag but I just didn't have it installed when I took the photo.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg

Glad to see another Honda! It is definitely worth keeping them going. Mine is a HRA215 from the early 1990s. It is the steel deck but it’s been well cared for so there is no rot. I upgraded mine with the twin blade kit. It mulches and bags well but the discharge chute just makes a mess. There is an inherent quality in these things. I get comments from neighbors about how smooth it sounds or how relatively quiet it is. The 214 and 215 are from a time when the residential Honda mowers and commercial Honda mowers shared most everything but color schemes and wheels. I hear good things about the HRX series. The current HRC series is pretty much the same as the tanks they made in the 1980s and 1990s but they are pricey!

Older mowers are awesome and I find are easier and more simple to work on too. A lot of people have a lot of problems with the some of the newer B&S, Kohler, china made engines. I'm a Toro fan myself, here's a few that I've had and worked on.
laugh.gif

1973 Toro grassmaster self propelled it still runs like new and made really beefy.

Toro Super Recycler SR-4

Toro Recycler

Most recent to the line up. Toro Recycler w/ electric start & Lastest Toro Recycler

My father has a recycler like the one on the left, it mulches poorly, never was any good and doesn't compare to even my Craftsman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back