worth it to convert MBR to GPT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My trusty old socket 775 bit the bullet a few day ago *TG for backups*, so I slapped together a socket 1151 box.

Using Macrium Reflect I was able to restore to different hardware, and the MBR arrangement came too.

Is GPT so great that it be worth the $60 utility to change over? I restored using legacy bios, and can change to EUFI.

Opinions welcomed!

It depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you are just using it like a normal person, then no, there is no point to switch.

I would not want to be encumbered by MBR. I've been using GUID/GPT exclusively for several years now.

If nothing else, live partitioning makes it worth using for me. That may or may not be available to you.

Granted, as a Mac user I really don't have any choice, although a friend recently found that a 2012 MacBook Pro will actually boot off an APM volume(the Mac equivalent to MBR, but still better
smile.gif
).

As others have mentioned, it's pretty much a requirement for very large HDDs to make your life easy. Also if you want to boot in UEFI mode all the way to the OS, it is required for the booting HDD. You'll know in Windows if msinfo (System Information) says UEFI for BIOS mode. Most turn UEFI on if they need Secure Boot.

Its possible to convert for free. I did it. Its sketchy in that if you don't follow the directions exactly, you can lose your data. But, Ive done it before when I upgraded one of my RAID arrays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back