Leaving Castrol and going back to Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a change of heart. After looking back at beautiful uoa's,the great results,and rebates from Menards I am going back. Have a last oci that I will use up 4qts of Edge 0w20 and I am done. Returned Magnatec to Napa and aint looking back.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Had a change of heart. After looking back at beautiful uoa's,the great results,and rebates from Menards I am going back.

Save your receipts, just in case next week you decide to switch to yet something else.
smile.gif

I almost went with Castrol! Picked up the Eurospec 0w-40 to put in the Focus, then decided it was too heavy and went with M1 0w-30.

I didn't make it out of the store. Just the oil section.

We did a complete changeover from Pennzoil/Quaker State to Mobil 5000 and Mobil 1
We did it only because of the leaky jug issues but i have read here and other places that Pennzoil changed their formula and its not as good as it once was but im not sure how true that is because i did not see a uoa personally. Others can chime in if anyone knows anything about that.

My brother is opening a new shop within a couple of months and he will be using Mobil 1 in the jugs and Mobil "something" in the drums i think he said 5w20 and 5w30 unless Conoco hits him with a better deal..I don't know which ATF he will be using i will have to ask him i know he uses Valvoline Max Life in his own vehicles so he will probably be using that in the rebuilds.
There is more permits and bull when opening a new shop because it was an old gas station and the epa has to pick your pocket in every way.Good thing he is well connected and it's only half bad.. I don't know how the average Joe can do it these days.

I guess one has to choose somehow.

I chose based on consumption. 5w30 was better than 5w20, and everything else was better than Pennzoil.

If I were you and basing on UOA's I would have kept the Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
We did a complete changeover from Pennzoil/Quaker State to Mobil 5000 and Mobil 1
We did it only because of the leaky jug issues but i have read here and other places that Pennzoil changed their formula and its not as good as it once was but im not sure how true that is because i did not see a uoa personally. Others can chime in if anyone knows anything about that.

My brother is opening a new shop within a couple of months and he will be using Mobil 1 in the jugs and Mobil "something" in the drums i think he said 5w20 and 5w30 unless Conoco hits him with a better deal..I don't know which ATF he will be using i will have to ask him i know he uses Valvoline Max Life in his own vehicles so he will probably be using that in the rebuilds.
There is more permits and bull when opening a new shop because it was an old gas station and the epa has to pick your pocket in every way.Good thing he is well connected and it's only half bad.. I don't know how the average Joe can do it these days.

We get Mobil Special in bulk for our fleet. It's a step below Mobil Super but still meets SN/GF5 and the ford specs. Decent oil for 3-5k.

I'm a big Mobil Super fan, not so much M1. Take some PYB and some Mobil Super into the freezer at 32 then 0 and -10. Last time I did this the PYB was very cloudy where the Mobil looked like clear motor oil yet. I know, not scientific but I'd put MS5K against PYB any day. When I see sub 32F for atleast 4 months it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to compare oils like that. Don't forget about 2010FX4 (2015PSD now?) uoa taking MS5K to 10k+ oci.

Originally Posted By: volk06

We get Mobil Special in bulk for our fleet. It's a step below Mobil Super but still meets SN/GF5 and the ford specs. Decent oil for 3-5k.

I'm a big Mobil Super fan, not so much M1. Take some PYB and some Mobil Super into the freezer at 32 then 0 and -10. Last time I did this the PYB was very cloudy where the Mobil looked like clear motor oil yet. I know, not scientific but I'd put MS5K against PYB any day. When I see sub 32F for atleast 4 months it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to compare oils like that. Don't forget about 2010FX4 (2015PSD now?) uoa taking MS5K to 10k+ oci.

What does the cloudy color indicate? Which oil flows better in the cold?

Why don't other's here do the test and form their own conclusions. Sounds to me that MS5K has some things PYB does NOT

Originally Posted By: car51
Sounds to me that MS5K has some things PYB does NOT

And vice versa.
wink.gif

Yeah very true. I'm bummed that SOPUS seems to be goin away from the low NOACK and possibly messing with adds. That's my opinion and thoughts

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah very true. I'm bummed that SOPUS seems to be goin away from the low NOACK and possibly messing with adds. That's my opinion and thoughts

I hear you. A few years back Edge SM gold bottle was the nectar of the Gods to many of us. Then with the roll out of SN oils many of us felt they killed it. I felt that way and dumped Castrol. It's really hard to fall in love with an oil and stick with it for the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Had a change of heart. After looking back at beautiful uoa's,the great results,and rebates from Menards I am going back. Have a last oci that I will use up 4qts of Edge 0w20 and I am done. Returned Magnatec to Napa and aint looking back.

You should have used the same oil for 200-300K, then make a decision. Skipping around doesn't tell you much about an oil.

Been running Pennzoil for the last 45 yrs, never understood the logic of changing oils midstream or looking for good deals or mixing different oils thinking you'll find the perfect blend, ain't gonna happen.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Your post doesn't really address why... Why pennzoil over castrol now?

Because he found Pennzoil on sale.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Volk just curious why don't you like Mobil 1 as much?

It's a great oil no doubt. I really like their 0w-40 and if I needed a 0w oil, I'd certainly use M1. It's just a personal preference to why I don't usually run M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back