Fumoto Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigD1
How does all the oil drain out of the pan when there is a drain valve that sits higher than the lowest part of the oil level?

Much depends on the oil pan geometry. On my G37, if I take the Fumoto out after all dripping has ceased, all I get is the dripping starting again. Hardly any extra oil volume comes out. Different oil pans will have different results, of course.

Originally Posted By: Kira
To Gebo: Why? you sak?
He said they weren't necessary.
He said they leak.
He said they're best for tapping into big truck oiling systems to get samples without a full drain.
He said I'm better off doing sump plug drains because the drain hole drains faster.
And, last but not least, it was a truckers supply shop and maybe he thought I was a bafoon.
How, you ask?
He said it in English. Real easy to understand. Kira

They do not normally leak.

But they do restrict the fast, flushing drain that occurs with the sump plug removed on many vehicles. We quit using them on our fleet trucks because of a buildup of sludgy residue on the bottom of our oil pans. This is a real issue.

But they have been on CAT pumps and blowers here since 1972 and they are incredibly reliable.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
He said they leak.
He said they're best for tapping into big truck oiling systems to get samples without a full drain.
He said I'm better off doing sump plug drains because the drain hole drains faster.
And, last but not least, it was a truckers supply shop and maybe he thought I was a bafoon.
How, you ask?

They do not normally leak.

But they do restrict the fast, flushing drain that occurs with the sump plug removed on many vehicles. We quit using them on our fleet trucks because of a buildup of sludgy residue on the bottom of our oil pans. This is a real issue.

But they have been on CAT pumps and blowers here since 1972 and they are incredibly reliable.

Interesting comments about the sludgy residue. I heard that a few times recently from people who used them. I don't think they allow as much oil to drain as a drain plug, depending on how far the threads go into the pan. That's probably why you and the people I mentioned saw that residue.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Interesting comments about the sludgy residue. I heard that a few times recently from people who used them. I don't think they allow as much oil to drain as a drain plug, depending on how far the threads go into the pan. That's probably why you and the people I mentioned saw that residue.

Yep, it's not going to be a problem for every application. But it was in ours.

On the Hemis we own the drain is positioned beautifully at a low spot, and a Fumoto doesn't obstruct them enough to make any difference.

I still love them on most vehicles and definitely on our equipment. Simplifies the job of changing the oils...

He said they leak.
How, you ask?

Must be having a browser issue. For the life of me I can't see those remarks prior to my question. But I really appreciate your willingness to help me. Thank you so much!

I have never understood the "it drains slower" complaint. Sure it drains slower, takes maybe an extra minute or two?

For me, I pop the hood, take the fill cap off, get my pan and put it under the vehicle then open the Fumoto (hey, no tools to get, no need to remember what size wrench to get). I then go get the rest of my oil change stuff (filter wrench, oil, filter, rags, and nitril gloves (don't need them to open the Fumoto)). Then close the Fumoto (usually just dripping by then) then move the drain pan and take the filter off. Lube filter gasket and put new filter on. Move drain pan back under valve and open for another 30 seconds or so to get any other oil that has drained to the pan, close it and wipe it off. I then fill with oil and am done.

Yeah, it might drain a little slower, but after I hit all the grease fittings on my 2500 while I am under there, it is more than done draining. On my larger stuff, hardly notice a difference in drain time from plug or Fumoto. I have a lot of other stuff to address when I change oil that drain time being a little longer with a Fumoto is a non issue. And what it might leave in the pan is barely consequential. Not like my engine only takes a quart of oil and what is left will affect it. Nothing I own takes less than 6 qts for an oil change. My larger stuff takes 10 gallons. Having a couple of oz left in the pan, maybe, doesn't concern me.

Were the Fram sure drains about the same?

I don't think they make these anymore, but a few can be found on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRAM-SURE-DRAIN-SD-4-Chevrolet-GMC-ONLY-/301912436232?hash=item464b622e08:m:mmhWfVMGVaZb8kiTK5-6B_A&vxp=mtr

I had a Sure Drain on my 89 Accord. It's not as convenient as the Fumoto, but it does address those somewhat unreasonable worries about unintentional opening of the valve. The Sure Drain has an o-ring sealed cap that covers it when you are not draining. You also have to screw on a special valve opening piece (that can have a hose pushed onto it) when you want to open the valve. The only complaint I had was that I couldn't get the copper crush washer to stop dripping. I replaced it with a nylon washer and all was well for years.

My Fumoto valve is off my Mazda temporarily. The fiber washer that came with it started dripping after about 30,000 miles. I tried tightening the valve a bit, but the the washer cracked and the drip became worse. I have the OEM drain plug on there now with a nylon washer. I'll put the Fumoto back on at my next oil change with a new washer.

Oh, the Sure Drain drain has the same "issue" a lot of you don't seem to like about the Fumoto. It narrows the opening and does protrude a little inside the oil pan.

I always thought and still think that this type of valve is a great idea, but despite all the praises Fumoto gets I'm still not seeing enough benefit for me to get it installed. I don't do oil samples and I don't have a problem with torqueing down the oil drain plug nor re-using the washers. I don't think it will save me any appreciable amount of time for my OCIs either. The cost vs benefit is simply not there for me.

I wasn't that keen on getting a valve for the Mazda, but I'm not a fan of the Allen head drain bolt. I came up with an idea that worked pretty well, though. Instead of buying a socket with the 8mm Allen bit in it I just used an 8mm box end wrench in conjunction with a regular Allen wrench. There's no real chance of over-tightening that way, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I always thought and still think that this type of valve is a great idea, but despite all the praises Fumoto gets I'm still not seeing enough benefit for me to get it installed. I don't do oil samples and I don't have a problem with torqueing down the oil drain plug nor re-using the washers. I don't think it will save me any appreciable amount of time for my OCIs either. The cost vs benefit is simply not there for me.

Ditto. Plus my oil pans hang low enough as it is; and last I looked, the bolt leaves enough behind in the sump that I don't want to leave more. Dealing with a bolt every 4 months isn't that big of a deal to me. More often, bad location or find some other variables, and I'd look into this.

i didn't want to get into the specifics for my use of the valve at this time, but I am going to be draining oil more frequently and a valve is a very handy thing if you are doing very frequent drains.

the one thing that this valve does do is eliminate the chance that one can cross thread a bolt or pan and then have to deal with that. although in probably nearly a million miles of having changed oil in my personal vehicles, i have never had that happen, I have come close and have ruined some bolt heads along the way because of previous over torquing.

Last edited:
Being someone who uses a Fumoto to save time and effort on cleanup, I have to say I don't understand those folks with Fumotos who drain into a pan and then transfer the used oil from said pan to disposal jug.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Being someone who uses a Fumoto to save time and effort on cleanup, I have to say I don't understand those folks with Fumotos who drain into a pan and then transfer the used oil from said pan to disposal jug.

I change my oil without ramps or a jack so I can only fit a drain pan under my vehicle when I open the Fumato valve.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I change my oil without ramps or a jack so I can only fit a drain pan under my vehicle when I open the Fumato valve.

Got you. You're saving time on lifting the vehicle and I presume your filter is up top or you're not changing it.

Since you can reach the valve, any chance of attaching a long drain tube to the nipple, or is that going to be too fiddly?

They also sell a 90 degree elbow if your nipple is facing down.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

My truck has a nearly stripped drain hole, every time I put the plug in I was worried about it stripping out, so the Fumoto took care of that concern. I am putting it on the Scion next oil change because I plan on keeping it for a long time, and it is just so convenient to have.

In the truck I could easily use a 5 qt jug, but I have to have the drain pan out anyway for the oil filter, so I drain into the pan with the Fumoto. I have a 15 qt pan, so many times I just take that to the parts store.
The Scion is too low to the ground to use a jug even on ramps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back