Shopping for a used 4WD or AWD. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Shopping for mother-in-law. AWD or 4WD requirement, but also not something that sits somewhat low like a Subaru wagon & at the same time not too huge and bulky either.

So basically, looking for a cross-over, not an SUV like my 4Runner. Budget is for used, not new -- and likely not more than $5k-6k or so. Denver market.

Filtered down to the obvious choices that I'm comfortable with so far;
  • Rav4
  • RX
  • Pilot
  • CR-V

Can people give their experience of the well-known issues or general advice? I prefer Toyota over Honda mainly because of experience with them; not picking on Honda by any means (I have a Civic too).

So far, I read that the RX has transmission issues in some of the model years. I also read the early 2K years for Honda was a transmission nightmare across various models.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Does the MIL have a rule about it not being older than X years? I'm a little biased but the Taurus X would check all of the boxes that you stated, and it would be in the $6k price range. Only problem is it was only made in the 2008 and 2009 model year, thus why they are relatively affordable. The 3.5l Duratech and 6-speed auto trans are proven to be very reliable.

I bought mine private party with 118k miles for $6k last November. I love it and so do my two young boys, as they really enjoy the 3rd row seats.

Can't go wrong with any on your list IMO, but to me, the ideal "old person" vehicle is a Subaru Forester. Not too high off the ground. High roof height and doors open WIDE.

I don't like the Toyota 2.4L, which I think is in your price range. Too many head bolt issues and/or oil burning across the years. The 2.5L is a better engine but as a 2009+ I suspect it's out of price. The 3.5L V6 is pretty quick, but is going to cost more, has water pump issues (costly to replace) and the transmission may whine (just noise, doesn't seem to impact lifespan). Also this vintage RAV4's use swing doors in the rear that open towards the road--they don't go up, they go to the right. Many did not like that.

Can't comment on the others, sorry.

In that price range your looking at something older or VERY high mileage. My choice would be a 00-01 Jeep Cherokee. About the same size as what you are looking at, drivetrain is bullet proof. Probably find one with reasonably low mileage in that price range.

Could look at the same generation explorer or blazer.

Originally Posted By: amalik
Hi all,

Shopping for mother-in-law. AWD or 4WD requirement, but also not something that sits somewhat low like a Subaru wagon & at the same time not too huge and bulky either.

So basically, looking for a cross-over, not an SUV like my 4Runner. Budget is for used, not new -- and likely not more than $5k-6k or so. Denver market.

• Rav4
  • RX
  • Pilot
  • CR-V

You are ignoring the obvious class of the bunch? Subaru Forester. I don't know where you are coming from with sitting low??

You would have to pass on Foresters older than 2011 bc of head gasket problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: amalik
Hi all,

• Rav4
  • RX
  • Pilot
  • CR-V

You are ignoring the obvious class of the bunch? Subaru Forester. I don't know where you are coming from with sitting low??

You would have to pass on Foresters older than 2011 bc of head gasket problems.

He could buy a turbocharged Forrester made before 2011 because they didn't have the same problem.

Also, you could research if an NA Forrester had a head gasket replacement sometime during its life. When dealing with a private party sale, you can ask the owner for all the repair receipts they had. If there is no receipt for a head gasket replacement, look somewhere else. Also, see when or if the timing belt was replaced. The job can get expensive quickly.

Anyway, I have another thing to look out for. See if all 4 tires are exactly the same size. Having tires that are just one size off may be enough to damage the AWD system.

Know if a vehicle has a warning light for 4 wheel drive problems. If it does, and the bulb doesn't illuminate during startup, someone probably removed the bulb to hide a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back