2016 Infiniti Q50 3.0T Red Sport (turbo RPM...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-infiniti-q50s-30t-red-sport-400-test-review

Quote:
Along with higher-capacity intercoolers, the 400-hp unit’s turbochargers spin at up to 220,000 rpm, a speed Infiniti says is the fastest of any production V-6. They push 14.7 psi of boost.

The 400-hp engine is plenty strong, getting the Q50S to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds... This VR engine is loosely related to the old 3.7-liter VQ, which justly earned a reputation for harshness across its rev range. The new VR still lacks smoothness, but only near its 7000-rpm redline. At low rpm, the engine does an excellent impression of a velvety inline-six, and turbo lag is virtually nonexistent. With an EPA combined fuel-economy rating of 22 mpg, which also happens to be what we averaged, the 400 beats the old VQ’s mark of 21 by just 1 mpg.

LOL - my n/a cars push 14.7 psi 'boost'
wink.gif

Just a funny number they choose to publish.

Boost is meaningless. How much air the turbo moves is far more meaningful. What RPM it spools at is more meaningful. What the turbo does for the torque curve is more meaningful. An engine can make 20 PSI of boost. That doesn't say anything about what it does for the driving experience.

It sounds like a lot of expensive to repair technology for 1 MPG. If the put twin turbo's on a 3.7 and refined it a bit to make 500 HP+ that would be worthy of a Q50 nameplate.

When I looked at it 2 years ago, the interior had too many lcd screens and not enough physical buttons. It appears that is still the case.

The 3.7 in sport mode drove pretty well though. Looking forward to trying this 3.0T one as I continue my new car search. Granted, it always ends up being window shopping as I lack strong will to dump my old bmw. In this 50k new price range, there just has not been a sedan that would wow me enough with a combination of refinement and excitement at the same time. 340i comes close though.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Boost is meaningless. How much air the turbo moves is far more meaningful. What RPM it spools at is more meaningful. What the turbo does for the torque curve is more meaningful. An engine can make 20 PSI of boost. That doesn't say anything about what it does for the driving experience.

What he says.

Since boost is a measurement of restriction basically. Its not really comparable.

You could do some intake work and "lower the boost" but flow more air.

Not like 14.7psi of boost directly correlates to double the air in the cylinder.

Good marketing for the ricer turbo crowd from 10 years ago that now have good jobs and can afford a q50.

We've leased two in past seven years, an EX35 and an M37 Sport. Very impressed with Infiniti's service and attentiveness. Loved those cars.

I've actually test drove the new 340i, S6, and this car when I decided to go for the Infiniti. It just felt like a better drive to me. Its comfortable and price didn't go crazy while adding options. The DAS took some getting used to but with lane assist, it's actually really easy to drive on the highway. The mileage they posted is pretty conservative as well. I averaged about 32.4 MPG on the highway cruising at 65 MPH and it drops down to 28-29 cruising at 75. When I was doing 80 heading down to Georgia, it was a steady 27.6 MPG. Still higher than their numbers. Combined with city driving is what kills it. In stop and go in NYC, I get roughly 22-23 so that part is accurate. It's a pretty heavy car. With the AWD, I believe it's fairly close to 2 tons so I can see why it kills the mileage.

The turbos and acceleration is real nice and smooth with almost no lag present. I'd believe it when they say it kicks on around 1800rpm as the power delivery is noticeable and very linear. My chief complaint is the transmission. It can get a bit clunky at times.

I would love to see this engine installed in a Z-car. If Nissan mass produced such a car, it would be like bringing back the 300ZX Twin Turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back