Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
For anyone interested, I have written a brief review and shared some opinions on my new tires.

I recently replaced the Firestone Destination LE2 tires on my '13 Ford Explorer after they became VERY prone to hydroplaning in the rain at about 4/32 tread depth. Up until the Firestones became hydroplane prone I had no issues with them other than the fact that they squealed easily when corning and chirped easily when accelerating.

My observations on the Pirelli's are after about 5K miles, so I cannot comment on their longevity, but net-net they are an improvement over the Firestones (for me).

Relative to the Firestone tires, the Scorpion is quieter on the road, offers better traction when accelerating and turning, quicker turn in, and gives a firmer and slightly more responsive ride (which can be interpreted as a positive or negative). Braking seems similar, but I have not had to engage the ABS for any panic stops. I realize almost any new tire is going to perform better in the rain than any worn tire, but the Scorpions seem much more planted and stable especially at highway speeds than the Destinations ever did (even when new). In light snow and ice the Destination tires were as good as could be expected for an A/S tire. I have not yet had the opportunity to use the Pirelli in those conditions.

The Pirelli's cost a little more (about $14 per tire in 245/65-17) and have a slightly longer warranty at 65K vs 60K for the Firestone Destination. I'll be interested to see how they wear (I got about 40K miles out of the Destinations and could have driven them a bit further without the wet weather performance concerns), but for my preference and driving style I do like the Pirelli tires so far. I'll report back if anything interesting happens in the future.

TireRack noticed something with the Scorpions Verde All-season.

The original ones, they liked the wet performance.

the plus, they didn't like it. I suspect the tread compound was updated to get a higher UTQG wear rating.

Installed a set on my daughter in laws Cadillac SRX...replacing Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Latitudes came on the vehicle new. Replaced them at 63,000 miles with Latitude Tour HP. They went another 65,000 with zero problems. Great tire. Was going to replace again with similar Michelins, but while looking at prices for Americas Tire to match, Walmart had a out of the park price on the Pirellis.. which Americas did match...so I went with them.

Not a fair comparison new tires vs 65,000 mi Michelin's but the Pirellis are smooth,quiet and with a great ride absorbing bumps. Sidewall looks good as well. Hoping we get some rain here in So Cal (obvious) so no report yet on wet traction

I put the same Pirellis 285/60/18 on my Edge 22,500 miles ago. Performing great, no complaints. Minimal amount of weighty change when rebalancing.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
I put the same Pirellis 285/60/18 on my Edge 22,500 miles ago. Performing great, no complaints. Minimal amount of weighty change when rebalancing.
laugh.gif

Why do you have a tire that wide on a family suv?
That's wider than the stock rear tire on my Porsche Cayman.

BC.

Have those in size 255/60R17 106V on my Envoy. Got them on 09/20/2015 and put 13,241 miles on them so far - zero complaints. I rotate every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) - cross first, then back to front next.

They are wearing evenly, despite my aggressive driving. Great wet and dry traction, excellent braking. Sidewall is relatively stiff, so cornering is really good. They're smooth and quiet - except when the back end breaks loose every now and then.
wink.gif
Would I buy them again? Absolutely!

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
laugh.gif

Tire size is 245/60/18 Sorry about the mistake.

I'm looking at these tires for my Silverado since SamsClub has them on sale once in awhile.

I drive a Range Rover Sport for a few months (work vehicle) and it had Pirelli Scorpion tyres, they were summer tyre not M&S, I think they were 20" wheels.

They were decent tyres, quiet, gripped well in the wet and dry.

Also drove a full fat Range Rover (2015) which had All Season M&S Pirelli tyres fitted, they were equally good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back