2008 Nissa Versa 110,000 miles second report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the second report on my Nissan Versa
I use QSUD oil and yes, my air filter is dirty and needs to be replaced
smile.gif

Oil Report Google Drive

Last edited:
Yeah good call about the air filter. Does it take the pre oiled air filter like my 3.5 does?? In Texas I bet the dust in the air could be worse than here in Va.

Not that I am aware of Bbhero. I usually get fram etc from Amazon etc.

As far as the oil it calls for 4 1/8 quarts with filter swap. For math purposes and reading my bottles ok I usually use 4Qt even.

Originally Posted By: Datarock
I was thinking the same thing. I will try the 7,000 and go from there.

+1

I also have a Versa with the MR18DE. I usually change mine at 5K as well with Mobil 1 5W30 EP. Good to see that it is wearing very nicely even at this mileage. Nice amount of Moly and from Quaker State?

One thing I would like to know, does you engine have that infamous Versa piston slap/rod knock noise??

Lastly, in regards to the dirt in the oil, its best to get an OEM engine air filter for the Versa. I've tried the Fram from Autozone and because of the way the air box is designed, if the air filter doesn't use a good quality gasket material, it will permanently deform over time and will lose its ability to seal. I experienced this first hand when I was inspecting the engine air filter (FRAM) during an oil change and found that there were signs that dirt/sand was seeping through between certain spots around the air filter that tracked into the intake. Since then, I went with only OEM. It cost almost 2x as much, but I'd rather have piece of mind.

Last edited:
Hey CX5Pete are those OEM filters pre oiled?? How much are they ?? I agree with your thinking here about the gasket and fitting must be right from the beginning.

Originally Posted By: CX5Pete
I also have a Versa with the MR18DE. I usually change mine at 5K as well with Mobil 1 5W30 EP. Good to see that it is wearing very nicely even at this mileage. Nice amount of Moly and from Quaker State?

One thing I would like to know, does you engine have that infamous Versa piston slap/rod knock noise??

Lastly, in regards to the dirt in the oil, its best to get an OEM engine air filter for the Versa. I've tried the Fram from Autozone and because of the way the air box is designed, if the air filter doesn't use a good quality gasket material, it will permanently deform over time and will lose its ability to seal. I experienced this first hand when I was inspecting the engine air filter (FRAM) during an oil change and found that there were signs that dirt/sand was seeping through between certain spots around the air filter that tracked into the intake. Since then, I went with only OEM. It cost almost 2x as much, but I'd rather have piece of mind.

I have been using Quaker State Ultimate for some time now both reports show nice Moly levels remaining which is one of the reasons I wanted a full report this time to see how much longer I could stretch the mileage. I was under an extended warranty (That paid out way more then I paid in but mostly from non engine related issues like struts etc) so I had to change my oil withing 1500 miles of the Mfgs recommended change of 3750. So 5000 was my sweet point. Now that the warranty ended I can raise the mileage if I want.

As far as the engine nose goes, I do have a slight noise when I am getting up to speed. Nothing drastic but I do not hear it in other veh's when I drive them. Just something I have become accustomed too I guess. What I personally found odd was around 50,000 miles are so, I started to really feel the engine at a stoplight through my brake pedal. I could feel each rumble and it was way more apparent then before. That has never gone away even after replacing plugs etc over the years.

I never knew about that in regards to the air filter and will keep it in mind. I was actually going to grab a filter today but maybe I will get an OEM one and look at how both are seated into filter area and see if I can notice a difference.

Thanks,
Ron

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey CX5Pete are those OEM filters pre oiled?? How much are they ?? I agree with your thinking here about the gasket and fitting must be right from the beginning.

The OEM filter is the dry type, so there is no oil. They are usually $15-17, sometimes I get discount code in the mail for 15% off from my local dealer.

I never knew about that in regards to the air filter and will keep it in mind. I was actually going to grab a filter today but maybe I will get an OEM one and look at how both are seated into filter area and see if I can notice a difference.

Thanks,
Ron

The airbox design on the Nissan Versa is very cost effective. It doesn't use external clamps or fasteners likes most makes, but rather it has a tray that the air filter sits in and relies on leverage from the fingers on the airbox lid to apply enough pressure to seal the filter. The clamping force isn't much, but if the filter has a good gasket, it works. Very simple design. In my opinion because of this, it is best used with the an OEM filter or with a filter that has a durable, thick, high quality gasket material.

It also couldn't hurt to clean the mating surfaces between airbox and filter between changes to ensure it has the best chances of a good seal. I know mine was dirty. Hope it works out for you.

As far as the engine nose goes, I do have a slight noise when I am getting up to speed. Nothing drastic but I do not hear it in other veh's when I drive them. Just something I have become accustomed too I guess. What I personally found odd was around 50,000 miles are so, I started to really feel the engine at a stoplight through my brake pedal. I could feel each rumble and it was way more apparent then before. That has never gone away even after replacing plugs etc over the years.

Ron

Yep that sounds like it! I started feeling it around 60k. Judging from the UOA, there doesn't seem to be any excessive wear. I've also tried changing the plugs and the belt tensioner, but it still persists. Recently, I've added MoS2 and it does make the engine smoother, but the it is still there. Good to know that it doesn't seem to be a big issue. I just shift it to neutral at stop lights now so I don't feel as much.

I have a Nissan Qashqai with MR20DE engine which is pretty close to MR18DE and I have no piston slap issue at 73'000 km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back