Craftsman Four Stroke Weed Whacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on a four stroke, Craftsman Weed Whacker and I can't figure out what's wrong. The primer bulb has three outlets on it first of all and it actually squirts fuel into the bore to prime. I can get the machine to idle all day long, but it won't take any gas and rev higher. There aren't any adjustment screws on it or I would try that. Any ideas? It's a real engineering masterpiece. NOT!

I am not an expert on those little engines on trimmers etc, but if there are no adjustments, I would bet you are either going to have to disassemble the carb, clean, and replace the diaphragms, or replace the carb. Even though I am one to say fix don't replace, when it comes to those tiny diaphragm carbs, if it isn't to expensive, and you are not an expert on them, I say replace.

Second the fuel filter advice... I had the exact same issue with my small Honda 4 stroke and it was a clogged filter in the tank.

Last edited:
Easy fix on those.

1) Remove the gas cap
2) Throw the entire unit in the trash
3) Slide a new Echo/Husky/Stihl underneath the gas cap

FIXED!!

Check that the gas cap is venting, fuel filter is good, fuel lines aren't cracked, carb bolts are tight, spray a little brake clean around and check for any intake leaks.... besides that, pull the card and give it a good cleaning.

I love my Stihl 4-mix trimmer and blower.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Working on a four stroke, Craftsman Weed Whacker and I can't figure out what's wrong. The primer bulb has three outlets on it first of all and it actually squirts fuel into the bore to prime. I can get the machine to idle all day long, but it won't take any gas and rev higher. There aren't any adjustment screws on it or I would try that. Any ideas? It's a real engineering masterpiece. NOT!

I have one of those.
Expensive.
Since day one it has been a total POS.
Never use it.
Go back to two stroke.

My MIL bought a 4-cycle weed whacker and HOLY DOO-DOO is that thing heavy. She should've bought a WORX brand electric or something. I'm a little salty because I bought a $10 echo trimmer (talked down from $15 at a yard sale), spent $20 on parts and still couldn't make it run... my wife made me trash it once she found a deal on a plug-in craftsman unit. I fear that my Poulan 2-stroke gas blower may be next!

Last edited:
I work part time for a local shop here that does warranty work for Crafstman mowers and trimmers. They get a lot of those 4 stoke trimmers in for the very reason you mention. Replacing the carb fixes them.

I had a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer. It worked very well for about 4-5 years, then started stalling a lot. I ultimately spent $60 for a new carb, ordered online, along with a new pickup filter for the fuel tank. It ran well for another year or so after replacing the carb. After that I had pretty much had it with the thing. I have a small yard so I went with a battery powered trimmer.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
My MIL bought a 4-cycle weed whacker and HOLY DOO-DOO is that thing heavy. She should've bought a WORX brand electric or something. I'm a little salty because I bought a $10 echo trimmer (talked down from $15 at a yard sale), spent $20 on parts and still couldn't make it run... my wife made me trash it once she found a deal on a plug-in craftsman unit. I fear that my Poulan 2-stroke gas blower may be next!

Yep! I really wanted to love the Honda 4-stroke trimmer or the versattach or whatever they call it... It was just too heavy.

Not sure of the similarities but I used buddies 4 stroke Troy Bilt one. It was hard to start and idled poorly at best. Tried running Sea Foam in it thinking the main jet was dirty, but no dice. I ripped the carb apart to find the thing spotless. What I did find was this: As the throttle butterfly opens, it cams a small pin. This pin would slowly lift out of this white plastic emulsion tube. This action would open up the jet to the air stream. The fuel was delivered through two longitudinal openings, which were uncovered by the pin exposing them. Now these longitudinal openings seemed quite small so I used a sewing needle to open them a fraction of a mm. I then used the tip of the needle to open the main jet slightly.

I slapped it all back together and the thing starts and runs like a dream. Too bad it weighs so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back