Cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Sydney?

It is a pretty big city in Australia. They have a nice Cricket Grounds and are close to Mount Panorama.

There's a guy on here that received a ticket from a police officer while riding that he's currently fighting. Saw a recent video of a bike camera where an Ohio Trooper is giving the biker a hard time which is pretty entertaining. Plus he has a bunch of other videos confronting other drivers that pass too close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3SFMIEN59I

Interesting. My guess is that it will reduce the number of cyclists, pure and simple.

Ultimately, if there is an issue with cyclists, then laws get made--that is the same for anything. When a problem is found, find a fix.

I do question the need for for a bell. I get the idea, but as the commentator pointed out, most people won't know what to do if they heard a bell.

I've been using a bell for almost 40 years. Only 20% of the pedestrians respond properly.

For a short time, there was a requirement to have a bell on your bicycle on A1A in South Florida. They've since taken the signs down, installed a bike path, and put up signs that require motorists keep at least 4 feet away from cyclists.

I spent some time in Sydney and I can't imagine riding a bike, at least in the city. The traffic is nuts and the roads are tight. Foot traffic is pretty intense too. Navigating a bike wouldn't be easy and maybe they really are just trying to improve safety or at least make it difficult for irresponsible riders to to ride.

IN this state you can get a ticket for speeding on a pedal bike. The speed limit law applies to "motor and other vehicles"

A bell is so useless. Half the time, a person turns right into your path.

Saying "on your left" or "on your right" is also useless. People invariably turn right into you.

I've found it best to say nothing and just just maneuver around a stable person.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
A bell is so useless. Half the time, a person turns right into your path.

Saying "on your left" or "on your right" is also useless. People invariably turn right into you.

I've found it best to say nothing and just just maneuver around a stable person.

I used to start making noise a ways back like coughing or a verbal warning well before I get close. But basically, people walking have the right of way on paths. Cyclists are SUPPOSED to yield to them and only travel at a certain rate of speed. It is difficult for cyclists and pedestrians to share the same space...but cyclists can always ride in the street.

Indeed. Here in Florida we are treated as motor vehicles, except on paths designated for bicycle use. We have quite a few nice ones that run along the larger canals.

When passing a pedestrian, I always give them a very wide berth. If I cannot, I slow and ride off of the path while giving verbal warning.

Not young kids. When they are on bike they own the road, cars and pedestrians have to get out of their way, on the street or on sidewalk. Red lights and stop signs are for someone else not for them.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Indeed. Here in Florida we are treated as motor vehicles, except on paths designated for bicycle use. We have quite a few nice ones that run along the larger canals.

When passing a pedestrian, I always give them a very wide berth. If I cannot, I slow and ride off of the path while giving verbal warning.

When I used to ride (and I did to a high degree), pedestrians almost freaked me out more than cars. On paved paths, they almost always jump the wrong way or spaz-out just as you pass. The ladies with baby strollers and folks with toddlers on tiny training wheel bikes used to give me nightmares!

I knew that if I took cycling seriously, my speed and places to ride increase dramatically if I shared the road with cars. But.....cars can and do kill people on bikes.

I gave up riding on roads and stayed on paths. I just rode a bit slower and did the best I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back