Thoughts on the Honda mowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like after ~20 years our Honda HR215 is going to kick the bucket. It's down on power and burning quite a bit of oil so I'm hoping to limp it through this season and find a replacement for next year.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the new Honda mowers, specifically the HRR216VYA or the HRX217HYA. I'm partial to Honda because ours lasted so long, but are there any other brands I should be considering?

HRR216VYA:
product_7841_600.jpg

HRX217HYA:
product_7831_500.jpg

I've owned both the HRR216xxx and HRX217xxx in the past two years. I really enjoy the 217 and the extra power from the 190 motor. What features does your current Honda have? When I was shopping I found that I didn't like the hydrostatic drive on some models and really liked the Smart Drive system. However, I was able to get the Smart Drive with the composite deck, doesn't look like that is an option now.

FWIW: Before I bought my 217 I tried out a Toro and took it back after 3 or 4 mows.

I like the HRX217HYA. It's a good mower, cut quality is good mulching and excellent bagging. It starts on the first or second pull. I run 91-octane premium without ethanol. Only minor gripe is the fuel tank size on the GCV190- not quite enough to mow for an hour and a half, otherwise it's a great engine, very quiet. I'd recommend the HRX series any day.

Of the new Honda's I am partial to the power and feature set of the HRX217HYA. The yard crew that does the yard next to my parents uses a pair of them and they have held up for years so far as I have noticed. You really can't go wrong with the Honda 21in mowers. The HRR is a couple hundred less than the HRX but the HRX is very well equipped and highly regarded. Everyone I know with either likes them very well.

If money is no object check out the HRC. It is the spiritual successor to your HR215. It is the last mower Honda sells with roots to the masters series.

image_zpsuixg2k8y.jpeg

Just realize that your HR215 was one of the most bomb proof and amazing consumer mowers ever built. If Honda was to build that same exact mower today, they would have to sell it for $1200-$1300. That mower would be considered a full commercial mower today. The Honda mowers you are looking at buying are not even close in the durability department.

The Roto Stop system I cant stand. I MUCH prefer a regular mower. Its expensive to fix when the clutch goes out in 8-10 years on average.

I'd look at the HRX217VKA personally. And don't forget to look at the Toro Super Recycler. Best consumer mower on the market in my opinion.

If the deck is in decent shape. Throw a new honda engine on it. My 160 sucks on the thick stuff. Overall it's a good engine.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
If the deck is in decent shape. Throw a new Honda engine on it. My 160 sucks on the thick stuff. Overall it's a good engine.

Cant be done (easily)

That engine/deck uses an odd PTO for the self propel. There are no replacement engines that I am aware of. I guess you could take apart a new GXV160 and add the bottom case from the used engine, but that would cost close to $500 just for the engine swap/gaskets.

Bubbatime/Skyactiv: Thanks for the Toro suggestion, I'll look into it.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Of the new Honda's I am partial to the power and feature set of the HRX217HYA. The yard crew that does the yard next to my parents uses a pair of them and they have held up for years so far as I have noticed. You really can't go wrong with the Honda 21in mowers. The HRR is a couple hundred less than the HRX but the HRX is very well equipped and highly regarded. Everyone I know with either likes them very well.

If money is no object check out the HRC. It is the spiritual successor to your HR215. It is the last mower Honda sells with roots to the masters series.

image_zpsuixg2k8y.jpeg

I would love to get the HRC (looks the closest to the HR215), but I'm not sure I want to spend $1,200. If I go with a Honda, I'm leaning towards the HRX because it has the same controls as the mower I currently have. I'm not crazy about the controls on the HRR.

Originally Posted By: Rand
do you bag, mulch or side discharge?

Mulch

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
FWIW: Before I bought my 217 I tried out a Toro and took it back after 3 or 4 mows.

Can you elaborate? I was going to check out the Toro Super Recycler based on suggestions above.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I'm also considering saving some money and getting a mower with a Honda engine, such as this Husqvarna HU700H.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/hu700h/961450023/

I believe that mower is re-branded by several folks. I believe some Craftsman and Snapper at Wal-Mart are the same, so if you are going for a cheaper mower, at least compare those models.

Yep - look at this Wal-Mart exclusive Snapper with the Briggs Professional series engine (same mower, different engine). This Briggs Professional series engine is much more powerful than that 160cc Honda, and a better engine to boot in my opinion. Also $32 cheaper than the Husqvarna.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapper-21-176cc-3-in-1-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-Red/46097875

I've been totally happy with my years of use on the HRX217HYA.
The only thing I have done was replace the throttle cable besides seasonal oil changes - Been using Rotella. Some years 5w-40, other years and currently 15w-40. Never needed to add oil, never during the season use.
I'd buy another if something bad happens to it. This year been using the mulch setting, prior years partial mulch.
Starts on 1st pull once the cutting season starts, sometimes a 2nd pull needed after sitting all winter to get the 1st season use.
Mine gives me no reason to complain - just been a good mower.

Without a doubt, a Toro super recycler (has to be super), is a better mulcher than a Honda for the vast majority of people's mulching needs. Everyone's conditions are different and IMO, a Toro Super is better suited for this.

Having owned a Honda single speed self propelled mower for 17yrs, I can tell you they're a well engineered machine. You'll see this if you ever have to tear into the drive system or any of the components on it. Are they the most heavy-duty? I don't think so. Designed and engineered well they are indeed.

Thanks everyone for the help. I went and checked out a few mowers and I just didn't find anything that I like the hand controls as much as the Honda. I pulled the trigger on a Honda HRX217HYA today.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Congratulations! You're going to enjoy that mower for many many years.

I'll be thrilled if it lasts as long as the HR215.

I am looking at getting a new mower.

Currently have a Ariens LMS21 but it needs a carburetor. Will fix it and have as a back up.

What do the rear drive wheels on these Hondas look like, is the drive axle keyed to the center of the wheel or is it a pinion gear and a planetary on inside of the wheel? Dont want that set up, had them on old Craftsmens and the wheels always failed.

Will visit local Honda store, considering the HRX217HZA or spend more and get hte HRC216HXA

The ariens, I had to replace some bushings and bearings last year on the discomatic drive, thought it should of lasted longer but guess nothing is bullet proof these days.

How are the carbs on the Hondas? A new carb for the Kawasaki FV180 KAI is like 100$ and rebuild kit is over 60$ so will swap a new one on. I am guessing the ethanol in the fuel in my area doesnt help, note I always use stabilizer and put the mower away dry after winterizing it. The FJ180 is a great engine but guess the carbs need some TLC.

The plastic Hondas (and I presume the less expensive steel deck ones also) use a pinion gear that drives a metal cog ring attached to the center of the wheel. It's not a plastic internal cog ring, but it does have that pinion gear with the spring-loaded pawls.

110-42710-VH7-000ZA-2T.jpg

Source: https://www.arlingtonpower.com//v/vspfiles/photos/110-42710-VH7-000ZA-2T.jpg

The commercial Hondas use a wheel that is keyed to the axle shaft itself.

I'm with you on the pinion gear. I have to pull the rear wheels on my plastic Honda once or twice a season to re-lube that pinion gear and keep the whole works from squeaking. I don't think I've never had a wheel off my HR215, ever.

Thanks

So the commercial one doesnt use this, guess I will look into the HRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back