5W30 In a HM Oil Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Chevy Malibu, 3.1 V6, 220K Miles
This is my g/f's car. We have been using VML 5W30 oil in it. Just recently her son gave her a case of Formula Shell 5W30 he picked up on sale at Home Depot. He knows my friends and/or cousin does her OCI's so he asked me to have them use it in her car.
The leaks in her engine have slowed down since we started using VML in it. Will the FS 5W30 cause it to start leaking more, or, just use it with no problems?

My thoughts and experiences are that once a leak starts little (outside of fixing it) will cause it to slow to any repeatable amount; leaks become worse over time. With that said, I would use the FS with no worries.

Continue using the high mileage oil and tell junior he can have the oil back or use the Shell up in other cars.Just because you have it does not mean you have to use it.

Yep - no problem with running FS after a high mileage.

I switched from high mileage to a regular syn with no issues! I have swtiched back and fourth on many types of oils between all of my vehicles numerous times!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
This is my g/f's car. We have been using VML 5W30 oil in it. Just recently her son gave her a case of Formula Shell 5W30 he picked up on sale at Home Depot. He knows my friends and/or cousin does her OCI's so he asked me to have them use it in her car.

Back in April, one of the guys on here sent you 9 jugs of Formula Shell for the Oil Change Charity.

Then a few months ago you asked about using it for your son's TRUCK.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Back in April, one of the guys on here sent you 9 jugs of Formula Shell for the Oil Change Charity.

Then a few months ago you asked about using it for your son's TRUCK.

Yes, member 2015_PSD sent that oil to me to do my charity OCI's. We used all but 1-1/4 5 qt. containers on the charity OCI's. The oil my g/f's son bought was individual qt. containers. What EXACTLY are you trying to say?

I think he mis understands you good BlueOvalFilter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
I think he mis understands you good BlueOvalFilter
smile.gif

I know what he's getting at. But, I know that a lot of people here were getting help that NO ONE else would do for them! 2015_PSD started me down this road and it was very special in so many ways to help all of those people out. So, I had a few qts. leftover and used them in my sons truck along with some I had to add. Am I wrong for that?
My g/f's son owns a landscape business. He was in HD over the weekend to buy some misc. items and saw the oil on clearance for $1.69 a qt. He bought 4 cases. He knows I take care of his mom's car so he brought a case over to her house for her car. I have not seen the oil yet! I have not seen my g/f since Sunday! Besides, I was just asking opinions. We don't make much money, so, using the FS was an option as to save some money. SMH!

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Use the FS for an OCI - if the leaks come back, go back to the MaxLife.

It's still leaking, even when using the VML. But, the VML has slowed the leak down. I have suggested to my g/f, if she ever stopped using the VML, then I would recommend a good 10W40 or a 15W40.
I was looking for anyone that has used a HM oil, then used a regular conventional oil, would it cause the engine to leak more.
Hmmmm, looks like VML will stay in the engine.
21.gif

I used to run Pennzoil High Mileage and every once in a while would switch to yellow bottle. No effects noted.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I used to run Pennzoil High Mileage and every once in a while would switch to yellow bottle. No effects noted.

Was the engine leaking oil for you to use PHM oil? If so, when you would switch to PYB, did it leak more, or, remain the same?

Was the engine leaking oil for you to use PHM oil? If so, when you would switch to PYB, did it leak more, or, remain the same?

At the time I did not know I had a leak. Have always used Pennzoil HM because it was advertised to clean better vs regular PYB.

I switched to rotella t6 and I had drops sitting on my driveway as soon as I parked the jeep. I switched to M1 HM soon after and it has slowed. Mostly getting a small drip on the exhaust.

So further inspection it was not RMS. I have had a VERY slow valve cover leak. Oil was leaking from the drivers side valve cover and would cover the bottom of the intake manifold.

So Ive always had a leak when using Pennzoil HM but when I was running Pennzoil Hm and PYB there was no difference between the two. You should be perfectly fine.

At the time I did not know I had a leak. Have always used Pennzoil HM because it was advertised to clean better vs regular PYB.

I switched to rotella t6 and I had drops sitting on my driveway as soon as I parked the jeep. I switched to M1 HM soon after and it has slowed. Mostly getting a small drip on the exhaust.

So further inspection it was not RMS. I have had a VERY slow valve cover leak. Oil was leaking from the drivers side valve cover and would cover the bottom of the intake manifold.

So Ive always had a leak when using Pennzoil HM but when I was running Pennzoil Hm and PYB there was no difference between the two. You should be perfectly fine.

I don't know. The car has too many miles on it to get it repaired. And, if we can just keep the leak to a drip we are good. I might try some LUBRO-MOLY in it. My dad used that along with VML to STOP a RMS oil leak.
I always have an AC DELCO PF-47 oil filter installed. I get them at Advance Auto for about $5 with tax.

Do what you want I don't think staying with HM or switching back to non-hm conventional are going to make any noticeable differences. Even though I have a slow valve cover leak I never had to top up my oil whether using Pennzoil HM or PYB.

But I personally would just stick with HM and forget about it :]

Yesterday was my g/f's birthday. My son came to visit me and changed her oil as a birthday gift to her.
I recently received some Valvoline oil coupons in the mail and used one of them at WM. It was for $8 off of (2) 5 qt. containers of ANY type of Valvoline oil. I bought (2) containers of 10W30 VML full synthetic oil and (2) FRAM ULTRA oil filters (One of the OCI's is for my truck). I also bought a 1 qt. container of LUCAS OIL STOP LEAK.
Her 3.1 V6 holds 4.5 qts. of oil, so, we added 4 qts of VML and 1/2 of the LUCAS product.
We gave the case of FORMULA SHELL back to her son for his lawn cutting business.

thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Use the Shell. The SN rated oils have more seal conditioners than previous oil gens anyways.

Too late. The Shell went back to her son and the VML is now in the engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back