Oil consumption LML Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 2500HD with the LML Duramax. Currently doing 1 year OCIs which is roughly 10K miles. This also coincides with the OLM saying its getting time for an oil change.. The truck is rarely driven without a trailer behind it, generally running 20-21K lbs combined.

I've been using Rotella 15-40. Mainly because I can also use the Rotella in my dirt bikes. This last OCI,I've had to add about 2 qts of oil.

Is it possible that switching to a different brand may slow/stop the usage? Considering how the truck is used,is this level of oil usage even a concern?

Interesting, usually they make oil not burn it when stock. Do you have a CCV filter on this engine? I would change it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Interesting, usually they make oil not burn it when stock. Do you have a CCV filter on this engine? I would change it.

LMLs don't make oil. They have a 9th injector that provides the fuel for regen.

I lose about 1.5 quarts over 350hrs. I shoot for 250-300hr oil changes, but never seem to get it in between that interval. That's about 7500 miles of city driving short trips. How many miles do you have? At two quarts I don't think you even have to add anything.

I wouldn't be concerned with 1qt per per 5k miles, especially while always towing. I'd bet if you used the truck as a commuter with no load you'd see very little consumption. All good!

Yes I've had that happen changing brands before. Goes away during second oil change. Not sure why exactly, I'm assuming its the glaze on the cyl walls and rings. But yours seems excessive, perhaps you have some buildup there. I would pop a plug and have a peek at your piston tops, maybe its time for a soak. Also check your PCV system for any blockage

Last edited:
Not too many diesels that I know of have plugs to pop out..
wink.gif

Hi Stewart Fan – Considering your truck is under high load, the level of oil consumption should not be a concern. Essentially, with higher carrying load, the engine will be hotter, which will result in more oil consumption. GM actually expects more oil to be consumed based these driving habits. The maximum oil consumption for the 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine (RPOs LMM, LML and LGH) is 1.18 liter (1.25 qt) within 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used. For heavy towing applications (9 mpg/261/100km [Liters per 100 kilometers]), this correlates to a consumption of 1.30 liter (1.38 qt) per 1,000 miles. According to GM, this rate only applies to vehicles under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, driven at legal speeds and within design intent of the vehicle. Hope this helps! – The Shell Rotella Team

Still pretty lame. My factory remanned 12.7L Detroit 60 engine with 587,000 miles on the reman works hard every day and it only uses about 2 qt in 20,000 miles. But then, GM engines across the line are oil users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back