2015 F150 2.7 5W-30 PUP 5400 MILES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good ole EcoBoost fuel dilution... of you ran this oil 7,500-10,000 miles in this engine like Ford recommends then that fuel dilution WOULD be a problem.

You'd think they would wise up & quit recommending these long intervals on the EcoBoosts.

What kind of driving was on this OCI and what was the OLM at for the change? I just posted my 2.7L UOA as well and am interested to compare the results.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
What kind of driving was on this OCI and what was the OLM at for the change? I just posted my 2.7L UOA as well and am interested to compare the results.

I drive mostly 50/50 hwy/city. This oci includes a 1800 mile interstate road trip from Houston to near Atlanta at speeds of mostly 80+ mph with little traffic and 95 deg F temps. I also do NOT drive with a light throttle day to day,(it is the Houston/Galveston area after all and you will get run over if you drive slow).

The OLM stated 44% life left.

I will stick with 5k oci for now but not sure I will stay with the PUP after the 12qt i have on hand is gone.

I also had 0 towing this OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Branson304
Good ole EcoBoost fuel dilution... of you ran this oil 7,500-10,000 miles in this engine like Ford recommends then that fuel dilution WOULD be a problem.

You'd think they would wise up & quit recommending these long intervals on the EcoBoosts.

For the hundreds of thousands of Ecoboost engines today, that isn't a problem.

Last edited:
Is that why Ford now goes with a 5w30 in them?? Would seem there was an issue so they went up from a 20 viscosity to a 30.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Has anyone ran a conventional oil in an EcoBoost engine for 10,000 miles & done a UOA? Because this regimen is 100% okay according to Ford & I can't imagine it is healthy for the engine in the longterm.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Has anyone ran a conventional oil in an EcoBoost engine for 10,000 miles & done a UOA? Because this regimen is 100% okay according to Ford & I can't imagine it is healthy for the engine in the longterm.
There isn't a whole lot of difference in Syn VS conventional these days except at sub 0*f starts so it this UOA good enough? uoa with Castrol magenetc and earlier Castrol GTX.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Is that why Ford now goes with a 5w30 in them?? Would seem there was an issue so they went up from a 20 viscosity to a 30.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

You would think with all the testing the engineers did in pre- production this topic came up.

On the other hand the long OCI recommended by the OLM may be somewhat environmentally based.

Originally Posted By: Strawdog

On the other hand the long OCI recommended by the OLM may be somewhat environmentally based.

This is what I'm not sure about. I reset my OLM during a tow and still showed a 10,000 mile OCI even when towing at 90% GCVWR, 70mph, 90 deg temps. It would definitely be tougher in the mountains vs the midwest but 10k miles in these conditions seemed a little aggressive to me.

You would think with all the testing the engineers did in pre- production this topic came up.

Two things come into play ,
1] How can $200,000.00 worth of parts be assembled into a $50,000.00 pile of junk?
2] How can a vehicle that the designers and engineers found bulletproof in all kinds of use and abuse be broken by the a woman?

This is what I'm not sure about. I reset my OLM during a tow and still showed a 10,000 mile OCI even when towing at 90% GCVWR, 70mph, 90 deg temps. It would definitely be tougher in the mountains vs the midwest but 10k miles in these conditions seemed a little aggressive to me.

I believe the OLM in the f150 is not that high tech, (unlike the one I had in a Mercedes diesel). Mine is like yours and It just seems like it is based on 10K miles.

What I meant by environmental is it is better for the environment if we do not change oil so often and ford is trying to be green(er)

Okay, I got what you're saying now. I spoke to Ford about the OLM not going down quicker and they assured me that a wide range of engine parameters are taken into account when suggesting the OCI. I've heard of it working well for some other F150 engines, it just doesn't seem to be calibrated well for the 2.7L.

Okay, I got what you're saying now. I spoke to Ford about the OLM not going down quicker and they assured me that a wide range of engine parameters are taken into account when suggesting the OCI. I've heard of it working well for some other F150 engines, it just doesn't seem to be calibrated well for the 2.7L.

By any chance did you ask them about your concerns with the oil shearing/dilution after only 5k miles?

Thanks

By any chance did you ask them about your concerns with the oil shearing/dilution after only 5k miles?

Thanks

Yes, but they don't have the information to know any technical details. The dealers don't have the depth of knowledge to address the concerns. Personally, I don't see any issue with the current shear/dilution. Yes, it is higher than other engines. But is it beyond what the engineers have tested/designed for? I don't know.

Originally Posted By: CT8

1] How can $200,000.00 worth of parts be assembled into a $50,000.00 pile of junk?
2] How can a vehicle that the designers and engineers found bulletproof in all kinds of use and abuse be broken by the a woman?

When I bought my new Chevy Cruze in 2011 I was assured that it was among the most (preproduction) tested cars in GM history......that didn't stop it from having coolant loss/smell issues (that warranted a class-action lawsuit)....not to mention that GM quietly 'recalibrated' the over enthusiastic OLM for 2012 after seeing what the turbo did to the oil. In other words, all manufacturers make adjustments...and mistakes.

I know a guy that is a very well respected and in high demand high end euro car technician and he and others in his field think the 10k OCI specified by several of the OEM's is the cause of several of the problems he sees, (one being early failure/problems with cam chains and guides).

I am sticking with a 5k OCI on my 2.7 ecoboost as I like it and I may keep it for awhile (10 years).

My 2007 Tundta 5.7 had a OEM recommended 5K OCI. My 2013 Mazda3 sky active 2.0 had a OEM recommended 5K OCI. The current Tundra with the same 5.7 has a 10K OEM recommended OCI.

Are the manufactures under pressure from the environmental agencies to lengthen the OCI?????

I am probably going to switch the 2.7 EB to the Rotella duel spec ck-4/sn 5w30 when it comes out. It starts out at the heavy end of 5w30. The oil sheering we are seeing bothers me.

I may also try the Max life high mileage 5w30 that is a heavy 5w30. It is ~$23 5qt jug at wally world, so about $36 per oil service for 6qt and $8 filter. The PUP and filter was costing me $42 but that is up to $46 now.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: CT8

When I bought my new Chevy Cruze in 2011 I was assured that it was among the most (preproduction) tested cars in GM history......that didn't stop it from having coolant loss/smell issues (that warranted a class-action lawsuit)....not to mention that GM quietly 'recalibrated' the over enthusiastic OLM for 2012 after seeing what the turbo did to the oil. In other words, all manufacturers make adjustments...and mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back