John Deere 400 garden tractor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at picking up some Delo 400 XLE Synblend SAE 10W-30 from Walmart for the John Deere 400 with a Kohler 19.9HP 879cc engine.

JD brand oil is over priced and this stuff seems to have pretty stout additive pack vs. other shelf brands available. Tractor is used year round for lawn mowing, snow blowing, and garden rototiller.

Anyone using this or similar oils?

should probably use a thinner oil in winter unless its in a heated garage.

10w30 is fine for the other 3 seasons.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Well I saw the (-45F) pour point for the synthetic blend and thought it may work in the winter as well.

The Delo 5w30 synthetic has a (-60F) pour point and thought that to be an over kill for Michigan winters.

I use 0w40 M1 in my John Deere. Stays clean and I have gone to once every two years for an oil change, around 100 hours.

Originally Posted By: Rand

The Visc charts list 10w-XX oils down to 0*f.

have you personally tried starting a Deere tractor with 10w30 in it at 0f?

Sometimes you have to crank for 15-30s to get the gas moving if you ran it dry before parking.
unless you have an electric fuel pump.

Pumping honey thick motor oil doesnt help. My starter needs all the help it can get.

I use 5W-40 synthetic year around in my big OPE stuff. The push mowers never get used in the winter so it doesn't matter. They get leftovers. Actually, none of that matters for me, I don't go out when it gets cold.

I'm from Michigan so I do know the winters.

A 10W30 blend and 5W40 syn sometimes are pretty close in cold start viscosity, look at the specs. I run 5W40 T6 year round in my tractor and in the winters for my ATV. I've tried 15W40 one winter and it cranked OK with a new tractor and battery, but the engine noise made me cringe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back