82 Yamaha Virago 750 engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an 82 Yamaha Virago that I am going to be using as a training bike for my wife to use to re-learn how to ride. I have no idea how old the engine oil is so I am going to change it and cannot find much info on the web so far. I am just wondering what oil you guys think would work best for this bike. Can I just run the same Rotella 15-40 that I am running in my V-star 1300 or should I go with a different choice. I really don't know anything about this bike, so any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Rotella would be just fine. As I recall the starter was the only real problem on the early ones.

Smoky

I had an 82' Virago 920 (same bike bored out a bit)....I really liked that bike a lot and I agree
about the starter. I think I used 20w50.

Thanks guys, it is finally getting cool out and I know my wife won't be riding if it is too hot out, so I'll run the Rotella. The starter does sound a little weak.

Mine got Rotella as well. Very smooth shifting in both. Loved my Virago, and it's ancestor. My back just couldn't tolerate the riding position.

I ran straight 40 in my old virago , full dress with a fairing and bags , fun bike but i always parked on a hill as the starter was a PITA , There is a service bulletin where the local yamaha shops would " Pin the starter"

enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back