Your thoughts on Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
M1 0w40 from amazon or walmart, - $12 rebate = best 502 oil for the price. Max 10 qts, $24 back, for each name/household.

Highly doubt!

Last edited:
The engine idles/runs extremely smoothly. When I used the other oils, 6 months in the OC I felt the engine started to rev/run not quite as smooth. Hard to describe but noticeable. I doubt I'll find any more of this oil on clearance @ AZ. I also bought some Valvoline 5w-40 MST Euro Oil as well on clearance. Probably will run at least one OC w/this oil after the Pennzoil is gone. The order I place the oils used so far are: Castrol 5w-40 (least desired)/Valvoline dealer oil/MST written on invoice but not 100% known what oil was used/ Castrol 0w-40/Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 (the best so far.) Haven't tried Mobil 1. My advice is to try the Pennzoil and experience you yourself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dah90
To edyvw
I can't say it's better than Castrol 0w40 or Mobil one 0w-40, but one reason I chose to use it is because my owners manual specifically stated to use a 5w-30 or 5w-40 that meets VW 502. Also if I am not mistaken it also said 5w-40 was preferred. Therefore I have never even looked at a 0w-40 with intent to use it in my car.

One great thing I have learned from this site is that some 5W40 oils will be thinner/thicker than other 5W40 oils. You can get oils that say 0W30 but are thicker at startup than some 10W30 oils. That's why it's good to find the viscosity data on the oil. That being said, 0W40 would not be an issue in your car. There's no oil that has viscosity too thin at start up.

I wish the 0W-40 Pennzoil Platinum Euro was cheaper and more readily available. My next OC will be right before winter, and I would prefer something a little thinner at low temperatures. I'm honestly considering M1 0W-40 "FS" for my next fill... Nice low-temp properties and a very high VI of 186.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I wish the 0W-40 Pennzoil Platinum Euro was cheaper and more readily available. My next OC will be right before winter, and I would prefer something a little thinner at low temperatures. I'm honestly considering M1 0W-40 "FS" for my next fill... Nice low-temp properties and a very high VI of 186.

1JZ_E46... You know that a lower VI is preferred, right? VI's are non-lubricating polymers and esters that make thin oil perform like thicker oil...

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

1JZ_E46... You know that a lower VI is preferred, right? VI's are non-lubricating polymers and esters that make thin oil perform like thicker oil...

There are very few oils using esters and they are entirely too expensive for a sump that holds 9 quarts.

Plus, a high VI isn't always achieved with lots of VIIs. Certain base oils (like GTL) have a naturally higher VI than standard hydrocracked crude, requiring less VIIs. "Cold Weather" oils always have a high VI so they can offer good cold start viscosity while not being too thin at operating temp, so I think you may be mistaken.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
VI is the difference between 40C and 100C. It doesn't necessarily dictate cold performance. Unless 40C is cold ?

By "cold" I mean room temp-ish. I know 40C is hotter than that (about 100F), but close enough. I doesn't get too cold here in Portland, so pour-point and CCS/MRV viscosities are less relevant than they would be in, say, Alaska.

Sorry I have been inactive for so long. Work has been keeping me pretty busy! I appreciate all the thoughts and information on this topic. I have a UOA on the factory fill on my GTI and once I have ran this Pennzoil another 3000 miles I will get a UOA on it to compare. If anybody would be interested in seeing these I can post both UOA's up after I change the oil again in a few months. I don't know that I will actually be able to tell which was better though as the next oil change will only be the cars second oil change. Thanks again for all the feedback!

it's Shell Helix Ultra with a Pennzoil logo on it sooo not much to say, it's a great oil i'd use it if it weren't for the fact that my daily burns oil so i just use cheap parts store brand 10W-40

Is this oil "better" than Castrol Edge 0w40? I think it has LL-01 certification (for BMW with M54), and everyone seems to like it.

But I would have to order it, and I can buy the Castrol at Walmart.

Probably not better, just different. It does have the LL-01 certification.

It is also available at Advance Auto Parts. Decent deal when they are running a special on Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover
Is this oil "better" than Castrol Edge 0w40? I think it has LL-01 certification (for BMW with M54), and everyone seems to like it.

It looks like they only have it by the quart, which amount to ~$50 per 5 quarts at regular price. Twice the price of the Castrol. It would have to be much better.

Yes, as said, different, not necessarily better. Until it's readily available and readily available at a decent price, it's going to have a difficult road in comparison to the Castrol and Mobil A3/B4 options.

Pennzoil has its own advantages (lower NOACK) but Castrol 0W40 is so called "true synthetic" made primarily out of PAO with decent amount of esters.
Castrol has higher HTHS, cst, lower pour point, better cold cranking numbers and it is sma eformula as 0W30 Castrol that is darling among Euro car enthusiasts. I used Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 and I just liked them better in my cars compare to M1 0W40 and Pennzoil 5W40.

Currently, Advance Auto Parts is offering 5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum plus Purolator Boss filter for $32.99.

Amazon has 6 qts for $50, but there is a $12 rebate available.

It looks like they only have it by the quart, which amount to ~$50 per 5 quarts at regular price. Twice the price of the Castrol. It would have to be much better.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
edyvw said:
rooflessVW said:
Well, my Audi A6 twin turbo, which I loved to drive but hated how often it was in the shop, had turbo oil line leaks 3 or 4 times...not to mention the catastrophic failure of the secondary cooling pump.

Do you mean S6? The A6 is usually a supercharged 3.0 v-6 Sad to hear. I havn't had any engine problems with my '13 S6. Had an early DSG leak though.

Originally Posted By: Artemous
edyvw said:
rooflessVW said:
Well, my Audi A6 twin turbo, which I loved to drive but hated how often it was in the shop, had turbo oil line leaks 3 or 4 times...not to mention the catastrophic failure of the secondary cooling pump.

Do you mean S6? The A6 is usually a supercharged 3.0 v-6 Sad to hear. I havn't had any engine problems with my '13 S6. Had an early DSG leak though.

I would say he is talking about A6 2.7 Bi-Turbo.

Originally Posted By: Artemous
edyvw said:
rooflessVW said:

A6. 2.7T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back