More refined, smoother CVT - Corolla or Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This question is for individuals who either own BOTH or driven BOTH....

Which current CVT transmission is the more refined, smoothest, with any shudder or jerkiness.......The 2016 Corolla or the 2014-2015 Civic??

Thanks

Splitting hairs but...

Steady state - Corolla
Under hard acceleration - Civic

Along with Subaru, these are the smoothest three I've driven.

I noticed no unpleasant jerks or shudder from any of them but again, I only test drove the Civic and drove a friends Impreza for 20 min or so.

EDIT: the Civic I drove was a 2017.

I have driven both 2015 Civic & 2015/16 Corolla/Scion iM. The all felt similar in test drives though the Civic felt more powerful...Hmmm, responsive(engine & tranny combine). The Civic and Corolla/iM both had a nice everyday-ness about them.

For comparison, I drove a 2015 Mazda3i 2.0 6spd auto, and although it is indeed a nice car(and my daughter ownes an '06 Mazda 3i 2.0 auto in which I like very much), the 3rd gen is a bit harder edge in its everyday-ness. Having, firm/narrow seats, lesser outward vision, firmer/harsher(for some) ride for the normal-ness of everyday city type of driving. Fine for someone who is on the highway more than in the city, the Mazda3 is just fine.

Look for vehicles that check off the most boxes for you!

CAUTION!!!

CVT BASHING AHEAD!

(Because the Kia has a six speed auto).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
They are a wash compared to a Nissan CVT - both Honda and Toyota make much better acting CVTs!

I've read how bad the Nissan version is in many places. I would think the proper updates have taken place.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Miller88
They are a wash compared to a Nissan CVT - both Honda and Toyota make much better acting CVTs!

I've read how bad the Nissan version is in many places. I would think the proper updates have taken place.

The newest one I have driven was a 2014 and it still liked to lug the engine at 1100 when you're trying to acellerate hard (and the 4 cylinders are not balanced enough for that), then hit the redline when you try to go more. Awful

couple weeks that Scion iM will be a Toyota, I'm somewhat interested, probably go have a look next couple months along with the Civics.

Nissan has put a bad taste in my mouth on CVT to the point I would never consider a car with one, mostly because the experience was so variable depending on the condition of the transmission.

1) I have had many Nissan rentals (Altima and Sentra) and the CVT has never been something that has made the experience good. The good units have made me like CVT transmissions, unfortunately there has been more bad than good with Nissan CVT boxes. You get a bad unit and you can expect ZERO performance to the tune of a 12 second 0-60.

2) I have had colleagues with 2nd gen Nissan CVT's that have nothing but problems that just fail and leave you stuck. I have a co-worker with a '06 Murano that she had to put in a new transmission at ~106k miles, pushed her into the parking stall when her tranny died. I also helped push a vendors '13 Murano with ~60k miles on it into a parking space when her transmission failed pulling out of a parking garage.

In reality I have pushed more Nissan's into parking spaces than I have any other American, German or Japanese autos.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: flinter
ARC,

What's your point about the Kia Forte sedan???

I'm no Kia or Hyundai fan, but I drive about 3 or 4 rentals a year and the (prev ge)n kia forte was the most sorted out, irritation free car in this class by a LONG SHOT. Good dynamics, great engine trans combo, nice size, comfortable, good ergos.

A Must drive before choosing between the stodgy class "leaders" (leading in sales ONLY). My niece's civic lesson was falling apart in a couple years, rear disc brakes, suspension etc. She was in so cal.

I say before:

Honda San is roiling in his grave over what a pig the civic has become

Last edited:
From a driver's perspective, I happen to like the Subaru and new Honda CVTs - I haven't been in a new Civic or Corolla, I don't have the need to grab a Zipcar lately. I've only driven the 2013 Impreza in a light Chicago snow and a 2015 Accord Sport a few miles in Orange County suburbia. From the passenger perspective, I've been in a newish Civic and Accord and it feels different than Honda's AMT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back