How fast is your internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5569610847.png

All we use is HuluPlus,Netflix and stream from the net.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
You guys who are around 20+ Mbps should also make sure your modem, router, and network cards are all 10/100/1000 gigabit spec.

Why would you need gigabit for a 20Mbit internet connection? For >100Mbit, sure, but anything below that 100Mbit is fine
smile.gif

Just got this Arris DG1670 Modem/Router combo and not really happy with the wireless performance, been tweaking it some but may end up getting a real wireless router and getting rid of this combo unit.

Not recent but I logged three runs to test for consistency. I have an acct on ookla's site so I can keep a trend of my ISP speed. Site used was beta.speedtest.net
Service: Oceanic TWC 300/20 Mbps
Modem: ARRIS TG1672G
Switch: Dlink DGS-108 Gbe switch
PC Tested: Onboard Intel Gigabit NIC connected to switch via Cat5E

X4Tlfwp.png

For internet speed over 5GHz Wireless-N on my iphone 6s plus it hits ~150/23Mbps. Wireless speed is clearly the bottleneck.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Just got this Arris DG1670 Modem/Router combo and not really happy with the wireless performance, been tweaking it some but may end up getting a real wireless router and getting rid of this combo unit.

What wireless adapter are you running?

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

What wireless adapter are you running?

That is directly off the wired connection.

I have been getting no more than 25 down and 5 up over wireless. Using standard Dell laptops and various ipads, Iphone 6.

Originally Posted By: JC1
NHHEMI,

Can I ask what your Plan costs per month?

I have 25 MB DL/10 MB UL.

Well, my plan is TV/Phone/Internet so I don't know what the internet part is. Total bill is $135( + taxes and fees )and includes 3 premium movie channels( HBO/Starz/Streampix )and DVR service with the TV portion, unlimited local and long distance( US )calls with the phone, and at least 150/15 internet( think it is actually 250/25 ). Good deal overall IMO.

Last edited:

NICE!

That is very close to what I saw when I tested mine early in the AM when most people were off line. A little faster than I saw but very close. You should be happy with that performance for sure.

Impressive speeds but what on earth would you need that for? 25 TVs all streaming different HD programs at once?

To me that seems like having a 6" water supply line to your house
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
When I had Comcast 100mbps I got about 120. I now have 50, but get above 75. I don't think I could reasonably use 180, unless everyone in the house was simultaneously watching Netflix. And then I'd hit the data cap in about ten days

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Impressive speeds but what on earth would you need that for? 25 TVs all streaming different HD programs at once?

Fast speeds like that can be very useful to people. It all depends on what you use your internet for.

I do website work and I work on people's systems to try and make a little money on the side since getting sick. The high download speed helps me a lot with working on systems as I can download updates, drivers, etc... in a flash. Fast upload speeds help when uploading website files.

For me it isn't about capacity it is about speed. When I go to someone's house who has a slow DSL connection for instance I really notice the increased time if I need to download things to fix their system.

I don't like Comcast's new data usage system. They call it a "trial" at least here for us but you know it will be permanent. At least it is 1TB ( 1000GB ). That is a LOT of data to use in a month. EVen with all the stuff I download and upload I have not exceeded 20GB a month to this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skulldrinker
I have been using this little internet traffic speed program for years. I can not find it anymore online but I saved the .exe to use on all my computers. There is no installing all you do is double click the exe. It reads the speed at your computer (true speed in my opinion) not the speed at some nearby comcast terminal.

You can download the small exe file from my own server

http://bikersaloon.com/nettraffic.exe

Matt
www.bikersaloon.com

Screenshot%202016-08-21%2011.52.jpg

http://bikersaloon.com/nettraffic.exe

PS it was freeware

Thank you for this!

I downloadd the app and tried it, then found some website was uploading quite a bit. Probably collecting data to sell to advertisers, it was a news/clickbait website... I'll be ruuning this quite often I think.

5572755729.png

Its 24/2Mbps, but I limit the actual speed at the router to prevent buffering in the modem.
Its $70 a month, which is extremely expensive, but Im way way too far away to do DSL. My phone line can barely do dial up, its that bad.
But, on the plus side they don't seem to care that I routinely chow though 200-300GB a month of bandwidth.
Also, I can pull my rated speed 24/7. There is no slowdown in the evening or anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
When I had Comcast 100mbps I got about 120. I now have 50, but get above 75. I don't think I could reasonably use 180, unless everyone in the house was simultaneously watching Netflix. And then I'd hit the data cap in about ten days

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Fast speeds like that can be very useful to people. It all depends on what you use your internet for.

I do website work and I work on people's systems to try and make a little money on the side since getting sick. The high download speed helps me a lot with working on systems as I can download updates, drivers, etc... in a flash. Fast upload speeds help when uploading website files.

For me it isn't about capacity it is about speed. When I go to someone's house who has a slow DSL connection for instance I really notice the increased time if I need to download things to fix their system.

I don't like Comcast's new data usage system. They call it a "trial" at least here for us but you know it will be permanent. At least it is 1TB ( 1000GB ). That is a LOT of data to use in a month. EVen with all the stuff I download and upload I have not exceeded 20GB a month to this point.

There isn't ANY NON COMMERCIAL USER that needs more than that. I am hoping that data caps will keep the Internet access prices from going through the roof. As one article I read about data caps said-"If you go through McDonalds and order 5 Big Macs-why should I have to pay for some of your Big Macs as well"? That's the way I feel about Data-there are some real hogs out there-and it will raise everybody's rates unless something is done. Again 1TB is all more than enough.

Originally Posted By: CKN
There isn't ANY NON COMMERCIAL USER that needs more than that. I am hoping that data caps will keep the Internet access prices from going through the roof. As one article I read about data caps said-"If you go through McDonalds and order 5 Big Macs-why should I have to pay for some of your Big Macs as well"? That's the way I feel about Data-there are some real hogs out there-and it will raise everybody's rates unless something is done. Again 1TB is all more than enough.

With that logic I should be paying less if I use less data. Data useage isn't a resource like water or gas where we get charged as such. It's lack of competition and bad business practices (see Comcast) that drives Internet prices up and it sucks for the end consumer.

My local telco company just rolled out its fiber to the home service and it's rustling my cable provider's jimmies since they been the most dominant for the longest. I'm jumping ship once they roll out fiber in my neighborhood.

Last edited:
I agree, most users do not need 250meg down.

The cable companies and google fiber know it. You can't use it unless you are streaming 4k on a few devices at once.

People buy faster internet but for basic browsing 10MB is plenty fast for most folks.

The cable companies are at war with google fiber here.

Time warner, ATT, Grande, and Google are all offering 1GB fiber. My triple play with Time Warner is $89 per month.

I agree, most users do not need 250meg down.

The cable companies and google fiber know it. You can't use it unless you are streaming 4k on a few devices at once.

People buy faster internet but for basic browsing 10MB is plenty fast for most folks.

The cable companies are at war with google fiber here.

Time warner, ATT, Grande, and Google are all offering 1GB fiber. My triple play with Time Warner is $89 per month.

When has need ever really mattered when it comes to a product or service in a free nation?

Those work from home days are better with my 300mb + symmetrical service from AT&T gigapower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back