Young people and technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Rand
I couldn't care less if someone replies OK in 2seconds while stopped at a red light (see it all the time)-- This is where the no texting law would be enforced on people who are really doing nothing wrong as long as they arent texting and not moving when the light is green.

No...it's not fine to text at a red light. Do you know how many lights I've missed because the idiot twenty-something in front of me has head bent down, staring at a smart phone?? By the time these fools look up, the light is turning yellow.

You didn't blip the horn to wake them up ?

That doesn't matter. They have attitude problems, will continue to sit there whether you honk or not. May sit there longer. Because "how dare you interrupt texting."

Originally Posted By: Al
I couldn't care less if someone replies OK in 2seconds while stopped at a red light
(see it all the time)-- This is where the no texting law would be enforced on people who
are really doing nothing wrong as long as they arent texting and not moving when the light is green.

When you are on a public road (not on the shoulder) in your vehicle it needs to be illegal period.

It is in many areas, Al. It is a matter of enforcement, and failing miserably.

Originally Posted By: TheExpectorate
No...it's not fine to text at a red light. Do you know how many lights I've missed because the idiot twenty-something in front of me has head bent down, staring at a smart phone?? By the time these fools look up, the light is turning yellow.

That doesn't matter. They have attitude problems, will continue to sit there whether you honk or not. May sit there longer. Because "how dare you interrupt texting."

It worked for me. I waited for few seconds and if no sign of moving I blip the honk, the driver woke up and drove normally, some times they wave to acknowledge their error.

I couldn't care less if someone replies OK in 2seconds while stopped at a red light (see it all the time)-- This is where the no texting law would be enforced on people who are really doing nothing wrong as long as they arent texting and not moving when the light is green.

I couldn't care less if someone replies OK in 2seconds while stopped at a red light
(see it all the time)-- This is where the no texting law would be enforced on people who
are really doing nothing wrong as long as they arent texting and not moving when the light is green.

When you are on a public road (not on the shoulder) in your vehicle it needs to be illegal period.

This from the guy who used to post selfie videos of himself driving.

While speeding.

In a school zone.

With high beams on during the day.

Who cares if they have attitude problems? I honk every time. If they want to discuss why, I'll gladly pull off to the nearest convenient parking lot. Have done it multiple times. They throw up the middle finger (which I detest) so I turn my turn signal on to a parking lot and motion them to turn as well.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A young lady about 25 years old here at work complained about the law that forbids texting while driving. She asked what the lawmakers could have possibly been thinking. She said, what do they expect me do to, stop in traffic right in the middle of the road to complete a message? She said that would be dangerous. She said that old people that made laws are stupid. She looked at me and said that she did not want to hear my opinion because she knows that I don't text while I'm driving. Being young must be getting more difficult.

You should of wacked her with your walking cane.
Just kidding.

She sounds very immature for a 25 year old.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Who cares if they have attitude problems? I honk every time. If they want to discuss why, I'll gladly pull off to the nearest convenient parking lot. Have done it multiple times. They throw up the middle finger (which I detest) so I turn my turn signal on to a parking lot and motion them to turn as well.

Is that bad in Pennsylvania ?

In So Cal they had either their left or right hand up to acknowledge their error, or to say thank you. Never had anyone showed the middle finger for honking to wake them up.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What a bunch of grumpy old codgers.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's so hard to listen through all the self-righteous bull.

Will you marry me?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Rand said:

Quote:

This from the guy who used to post selfie videos of himself driving.

While speeding.

In a school zone.

With high beams on during the day.

https://www.twitter.com/jay_corbee Your obsession with me is not my problem.

As to your statements.. Prove it, or ****. I am a very safe driver.

I will not have you making false statements about me.
I would love to discuss these things with you over coffee..

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Have you ever seen someone using their phone for whatever while using the bathroom?. Your one important person if you need to use your phone and the toilet, at the same time.,,,

I was once having a sit down in a stall at work, as was the guy next to me. His phone rang. I was flabbergasted that he actually answered. He didn't say 'let me call you back.' No, he sat there on the can and had his conversation. Totally ruined my sit down.

Traffic vigilante!! A horn is supposed to be used in emergency situations, not to dispense justice and punishment. People like to use their horn when something upsets them, and to me your horn is just a louder form of you giving me the bird. Only a fool would follow your direction to turn into a parking lot so you can set them straight.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Have you ever seen someone using their phone for whatever while using the bathroom?. Your one important person if you need to use your phone and the toilet, at the same time.,,,

I was once having a sit down in a stall at work, as was the guy next to me. His phone rang. I was flabbergasted that he actually answered. He didn't say 'let me call you back.' No, he sat there on the can and had his conversation. Totally ruined my sit down.

I've found shouting out "Oi [censored], [censored] or get off the pot" tends to solve the problem as the other end of the call suddenly realizes where the other party is. General embarrassment shuts them up really quickly.

Is that bad in Pennsylvania ?

In So Cal they had either their left or right hand up to acknowledge their error, or to say thank you. Never had anyone showed the middle finger for honking to wake them up.

It's happened a lot but doesn't happen often, weird to say it like that but multiple times over years. Most don't do anything and keep driving.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Traffic vigilante!! A horn is supposed to be used in emergency situations, not to dispense justice and punishment. People like to use their horn when something upsets them, and to me your horn is just a louder form of you giving me the bird. Only a fool would follow your direction to turn into a parking lot so you can set them straight.

I use the horn to inform. Not as "justice" or "punishment". It's not like I often use it, just have used it multiple times. When I see someone swerving on the road to the point where they are crossing lane lines I will honk, when I see someone texting while driving I will honk. If someone pulls out in front of me even though I'm going faster and they slow me down I do not honk. I in no way use it in the intention of performing some kind of punishment or justice. I simply want them to be aware and if you perceive as what I just said as giving someone the bird then I have nothing else to say to you.

It's only AFTER they think they have done nothing wrong and replied in a way to tell me to F off is when I'll gladly inform them of what they are doing. Would you not honk your horn seeing someone swerve their car in a way that you deem is unsafe? Actually just today I had a gentleman in front of me talking on a cellphone and using the other to reach to the center console or in that area to get a cigarrette as I see him lighting it up. While phantomly slowing down and then gaining back up to speed of traffic. Do people really expect other drivers to watch out for them? If I too was distracted while driving I could have easily rear ended him with his phantom slow downs without brake lights.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I have tremendous sympathy for our youth today who have very complex social and communication issues to wade through. But, that does not excuse them from proper use of that technology and to make the effort to learn good communication skills.

I am by no means a grumpy old luddite ... I paid for and bought my first computer in 1989, I had been using them since 1978 when the company I was a partner in became the first Apple distributor outside the US in the world. If you wanted an Apple ][ in Canada, you had to buy it from a dealer who was a customer of mine.

Our local school division had the highest ratio of computers to students in Canada by 1980. Over the last 28 years I have spent far more on software than hardware, and I've spent some real money on hardware. My current laptop is four years old and still has better performance and hardware than most 2016 models being bought right now.

I am comfortable with UNIX, Linux, Windows and MacOS and a few others that few people know or care about. I have been paid by Linux distros to write documentation. That might not sound like much, but trust me, getting money from a company that gives it's software away is no mean feat. Getting anyone involved with Linux to actually make any effort at all on documentation is no small feat either. They contacted me, not the other way around, after reading a How-To I wrote and posted in a forum.

I am only saying these things to show that I am definitely not just aware of modern tech, but I was there on the cutting edge for more than three decades. Teens and young adults learn from me, not the other way around. I know the issues, and I can still remember what it was like to be 18.

Here in Canada there is the beginnings of a push to make texting while driving a Criminal Offence (equivalent to Felony in the US). I have no doubt that it will take no more than five years before we see it come to pass.

When I was a teen, in the early 70's, we saw some films, I don't remember the names, of automobile crashes, mostly from the late 1950's and early 1960's. They were very graphic. And I mean very graphic.

I actually doubt you could show these films in a classroom today, despite how effective they were in getting my classmates to take a long, sober look at the art of driving and the consequences of inattention.

It didn't stop impaired driving, but it laid the groundwork for making impaired driving a Criminal Offence. (The drunk driving laws were in place then, but enforcement was different. Today, it's a zero tolerance thing with all Law Enforcement here, plus penalties have steadily increased.

Young people have different ways of thinking than older adults; we know now that the brains of youth are still evolving and are in many ways primitive until the mid 20's. It makes teaching lessons somewhat challenging when you are up against social mores, because that is king when you are young. But I think there is merit in the idea you can "scare some people straight", as the saying goes. Maybe we need some new videos for the classroom.
That is the first I have heard about trying to make it a criminal offence for texting while driving here. Currently it is up to the provinces to deal with it.

About 5 years ago in San Diego a young woman texting while driving drifted across the center line and struck a mini van head on killing the woman driver and her infant passenger. The car behind the woman and infant was the mother that saw the whole thing happen in front of her. The driver that caused the accident was screaming at the highway patrol officer because he took away her iPhone while the paramedics and fire department worked at the accident scene. This woman was screaming and saying that she needed to answer her last text message. She appeared to be unaffected by the fact that she just killed two people. He locked her in the back seat of his car and walked the mother away from the crash scene.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
There are stupid people in every generation.

^^This. I'm not much older than her, and I completely disagree with her.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why did I think OP was retired?

Are you referring to me? Nope. Not retired.

The young lady in the original posting was hired to do life cycle testing of software we wrote. She holds a bachelor's degree in computer science. Our app is an RoR (Ruby on rails) app that accesses a ANN (artificial neural network). So you might not consider us adverse to technology.

One of our people wrote an app that blocks texting when the smart phone is moving over 10mph. It's still in test but we're trying to convince this young lady the folly of her texting.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A young lady about 25 years old here at work complained about the law that forbids texting while driving. She asked what the lawmakers could have possibly been thinking. She said, what do they expect me do to, stop in traffic right in the middle of the road to complete a message? She said that would be dangerous. She said that old people that made laws are stupid. She looked at me and said that she did not want to hear my opinion because she knows that I don't text while I'm driving. Being young must be getting more difficult.

The horrifying thing is that she will pop a couple of offspring that surprise-surprise are going to be even more borderline retarded than dear sweet old mama...

Remember the movie "Idocracy"...?

Yup folks, we are getting there at a fast pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back