FRAM Extra guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issues with the Extra Guard whatsoever. The recent PH16 that was posted shows that they added more media. I ran one last winter that looked great considering a.) the numerous cold starts it saw and b.) my Jeep makes filters wavy. (Refer to my FL-400s that I cut and posted back in early 2015.) The rubber ADBV was still plenty pliable too. I saw no reasons for complaints whatsoever, but many monkeys came out of the woodwork here saying how they'd never use this filter. Funny how I never saw them post in the filter section until then.
21.gif

Yes there are "better" options out there, but considering the price and availability, I don't have an issue with them. My Jeep prefers something about the Fram bypass design too. I use a little bit of everything on stuff I service so there's no brand bias from me.

If one doesn't like the orange can, they can step it up to a TG for just a few dollars more at Wal-mart. Good for up to 10k, more media and a silicone ADBV. Personally, I feel the TG is much better than a lot of other mid tiered filters plus its cheaper at normal pricing.

Fram makes one good filter and that is the Ultra.. The other ones they make seemed to improve a little but as you can see all over the web they are not the nicest filters out there.

Build quality i like the Napa Gold, Mobil 1 And Fram Ultra

Only Fram I'd use is the Ultra. I've seen too many pictures of failed orange cans to stay far away from them until they change the design. It's probably very unlikely one would come apart, but why take the risk? I'm not a fan of the idea of shredded filter particles floating around my engine personally.

Orange cans used to have metal end caps way back in the day before they were owned by Allied Signal/Honeywell. But that was a long time ago, I wanna say mid 70's was when they Allied bought them out so it's been a long, long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jongies3
I've seen too many pictures of failed orange cans to stay far away from them until they change the design.

It's probably very unlikely one would come apart, but why take the risk? I'm not a fan of the idea of shredded filter particles floating around my engine personally.

What is your definition of failed then?

I've seen too many pictures of failed orange cans to stay far away from them until they change the design.

Since you've seen so many, perhaps you can share a few from the past several years?

Originally Posted By: Padawan

Since you've seen so many, perhaps you can share a few from the past several years?

Yeah, where's all the photos of said failed filters?

I would like to see some of those failed orange cans posted also not that i don't believe you i have seen many on you tube and other places that i would never ever use one of those ocod filters..
However i do believe their quality has improved a little in the meantime their only filter i would use is maybe the ultra..And no i won't be looking around for any proof to post but everyone can find it online pretty easily..

I like them and I use them although certainly not exclusively. Have never had the slightest issue with one either and have used them since the 80's although my personal favorite is the slightly more expensive Tough Guard.

I think it was mostly people overreacting, although I admit that FRAM quality wasn't the best. HOWEVER, their quality seems very good anymore in the Extra Guard & Tough Guard. And in my opinion, the Ultra is the best oil filter your money can buy when you consider its specs, mileage rating & price point.

For your 5K mile oil change interval, the Extra Guard will be perfect. Use with confidence. Have a look around BITOG at the recent used Extra Guards that were cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back