salsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tons of recipes online with reviews. You could always look at recipes, get inspired and create your own salsa.

my recipe is very simple:

tomatoes and peppers with a dash of garlic salt.

the number of peppers varies with the variety that I use:

mild peppers((hungarians) i might add 4 or 5 peppers to 3-4 tomatoes
hot jalapeno pepper, 1 pepper to 2-3 tomatoes and possible another tomato depneding on how hot it is..
When i used to grow habanero peppers, i would only use 1 habanero to a gallon tomatoes as habaneros are very hot.

at times i add a few sprigs of cilantro and if the salsa is too hot and you don't have more tomatoes sometimes a slice or two of oranges or pineapple will help.

but i like my salsa pretty basic, tomatoes, peppers, garlic salt and a sprig or two of cilantro...

you can use fresh ingredients or like me in the dead of winter, i use peppers that have been lightly boiled and frozen from my garden as well as tomatoes that have been canned from my neigbbors(we often trade items).

many other varieties of peppers can be used you will have to experiment to your liking and heat tolerance.

my wife will make what I call a "virgin salsa" where she makes sure and remove all the seeds and veins from the peppers.

Last edited:
i forgot the onion! to taste only as it can be overpowering...so just a slice or so.

if i don't have fresh onion a teaspoon or less of onion powder will suffice for my tastes

Last edited:
doesn't Salsa translate to "sauce"?

It's not necessarily a tomato based cold sauce, commonly eaten with tex-mex foods, but, for most people it's exactly that.

just like Banh Mi. Banh mi is Vietnamese for "bread", but American culture only sees it as a hoagie.

Roma tomatoes, green chili peppers red onion and cilantro seasoned with salt and pepper and lemon juice, my basic salsa
cheers3.gif

In my mind salsa is like guacamole. The best guacamole only has a few ingredients. Avocado, salt, and a little lemon juice. The key being fresh, ripe avocado.

Same with salsa. Tomatoes, onion, a little cilantro, a little hot pepper to make it as hot as you want, and salt. The key here is vine ripened tomatoes!

As a poster mentioned above, don't overdo it on the onion. For ratios, make some, taste it and add what you think is missing. It also tastes better after sitting a while in the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back