TV late night talk show hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which show do you watch once in a while (may be once a month or once a week)and which do you like best ? NBC Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, CBS with Stephen Colbert and ABC with Jimmy Kimmel.

I like NBC Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, neutral on Jimmy Kimmel and hate Stephen Colbert. I used to like David Letterman better than Jay Leno, but Johnny Carson was the best of them all.

We usually Watch the Daily Show and it's follow up during the 7-8pm slot the next evening.
if i watch a network "late night" show, it's Colbert. and occasionally Conan.
never "got" Jimmy Kimmel(or Fallon for that matter), and still mad at NBC over the Conan Debacle.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Jimmy Fallon, sometimes. John Oliver, also.

I miss John Stewart's show.

The last two aren't technically late night though.

why, because they aren't on network?
the daily show is mon-thurs @ 11pm, last week tonight is Sundays 11:30pm
for most people 11 &11:30 are "late night"

while I do miss "Stewbeef"*, Trevor is doing a good job with the show as well.
I'm esp disappointed that comedy central cancelled "The Nightly Show"
...wondering what they will develop in it's place...

*nickname Snoop Dogg gave to Jon Stewart

Last edited:
We watch Jimmy Kimmel. It's a West Coast show with a California slant. As an ex-Southern California I appreciate the humor more than what seems to me to be silly New York humor coming from Jimmy Fallon.
Jimmy Fallon will be in the middle of his monologue-and then go off on some silly tangent like fake Sax playing or something. But that's New York humor-you either love it or hate it.

The wife and I miss Jay Leno. Johnny Carson while the King of late night is ancient history by now.

There is no taking away the talent Jimmy Fallon has however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
why, because they aren't on network?
the daily show is mon-thurs @ 11pm, last week tonight is Sundays 11:30pm
for most people 11 &11:30 are "late night"

My bad. I didn't realize John Oliver was on that late. I always watch it afterwards on youtube or some other streaming service.

Conan O'Brien!!! He was awesome on Late Night/NBC, and I would occasionally watch him on TBS once he moved (when I had cable).

I couldn't stand Letterman, can't stand Colbert. I could tolerate Leno. Kimmel isn't that funny to me.

Fallon is an interesting case - when he first took over the Tonight Show I thought he was horrible. But he has improved, and the show has improved (a lot) around him. He is now able to connect with his guests in ways other hosts have never been able to do, and that connection pulls the audience in so that they feel more connected as well.

Fallon has the better show now, but I still prefer Conan.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
When is Craig Ferguson coming back to Late Night? He is the Man.

He was definitely a large cut above anyone else his first few years, I dvr'd him every night. The network pulled back on his reigns after a few years making him wear a suit and tie and cutting out some of his most outrageous comedy.

Over my lifetime:

#1) Carson
#2) Leno
#3) Fallon (though I only watch Youtube clips these days, it seems).

I never liked Letterman much, too [censored] and abusive of guests. I thought Arsenio Hall made a pretty good run at breaking in to late-night with his show back in the 90s. Stewart, Kimmel, Colbert, etc.... Meh. Some funny stuff (again, mostly seen on Youtube) but not worth staying up for.

I actively DISliked Conan's run on the Tonight Show, although I thought he was (mostly) watchable on Late Night.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I never liked Letterman much, too [censored] and abusive of guests.

Sorry, but if the board software censors p-r-i-c-k-l-y (as in irritable and thorny like a cactus) its programmed wrong.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I don't watch them any more.....every other word is about how great some liberal politician is.....

I didn't watch TV much, probably 1 or 2 times a month I watched Jimmy Fallon for 20-30 minutes and never saw him talk about politic.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I don't watch them any more.....every other word is about how great some liberal politician is.....
Plenty of lefty brown noses there.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Kimmel if I manage to stay up that late.
+1 Lots of people on the dole staying up late to watch this blather, I suspect.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

HM............My cable provider has this show on demand. Watch it anytime......

That's always been my thought, too, as I work for a living and am in bed far before any late night TV garbage. Most TV is for goobers anyway...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

That's always been my thought, too, as I work for a living and am in bed far before any late night TV garbage. Most TV is for goobers anyway...

Funny how most people's perspectives typically extend all the way to the end of their own noses. Lots of people who do not work aren't "on the dole," and television programming is a 24x7 free-for-all these days, considering cable/satellite and timezones.

It's just another genre some people enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back