Craftsman riding mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the John Deere's I had been looking at sold before I got time to take a look. So I looked at some other used and came up with Craftsman DLS3500 and a T3000 for sale somewhat locally. Any opinions on either? I think the 3500 has the hydro and the 3000 has that new CVT. Regardless, wondering what the local talent think of them. Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment.

b

Been running Craftsman lawn tractors/pushers for 25 years - B&S with cast iron piston bore - Hydro is so nice - I just run them 7-8 years and sell them while still worth something - get a new one ... Mow on ...

www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/8/85-john-deere-lx18...

I don't know anything about the Craftsman LT's but since you mentioned Deere....IMHO the LX188 is the best LT ever built. Since mowing season is winding down in the great white north, you should be able to find a nice used one. Scroll down to JD and then click on lawn tractors then scroll to LX188. Mine is a 1998 model and has been bullet proof for 18 years.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/8/85-john-deere-lx18...

I don't know anything about the Craftsman LT's but since you mentioned Deere....IMHO the LX188 is the best LT ever built. Since mowing season is winding down in the great white north, you should be able to find a nice used one. Scroll down to JD and then click on lawn tractors then scroll to LX188. Mine is a 1998 model and has been bullet proof for 18 years.

Ditto that opinion for the JD LX series. I have the LX277, purchased in 2000. Trying to compare an LX to the box store brands (including the box store JD's) is not a fair comparison at all. The power, reliability, mowing quality, turn radius, and on and on is so much better than what you find at the box stores. These can be had for decent prices if you do a little searching. If I was buying another, I would go this route rather than pay the same or more for a new (or late model) box store brand.

I would seriously reconsider purchasing anything from Sears that may need to be warrantied at some point.

Sears Holdings is currently considered one of the worst possible stocks on Wall Street and, unless something drastic happens, is soon to be in bankruptcy. I personally can't see any way out of the Sears/Kmart 12 year free fall and more than a decade of year-over-year losses. When that happens, even if someone purchases the Craftsman name for the tool brand, the warranty will be pretty useless-it's only as good as the company that issued it. I can't imagine anyone purchasing and continuing the Craftsman lawn and garden equipment line; there are simply too many other quality players in that market to make it profitable for anyone to purchase and continue a sullied nameplate. Even their tool line isn't what it once was.

Sears Hanging By A Thread

Quote:
This coming Thursday morning’s Q2 report may finally be the one that prompts the last of the optimists and insiders to acknowledge what everybody else seems to already know. That is, Sears is broken beyond repair, and none of the fixes address the core retailing problem the company faces.

Quote:
As of the end of the first quarter, Sears was down to $286 million in the bank and had just posted a $471 million loss. The recently completed second quarter will likely result in a similar loss, begging one key question … how does Eddie Lampert plan on continuing to pay the bills?

Credit is one way. The company explained it had $265 million worth of credit available at the end of Q1, and could monetize up to $300 million worth of assets if need be. There’s a very good chance the remainder of the credit facility has been tapped in the meantime though, and each time it sells an asset, the company crimps its ability to create much-needed profits.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I would seriously reconsider purchasing anything from Sears that may need to be warrantied at some point.

You do realize the OP was looking at USED mowers, right? Most likely out of warranty or soon to be out of warranty. I'd not worry about anything Sears - parts will be available as their stuff is always made by another OEM. Yard equipment is either Murray, AYP, or Husky. Parts for all are plentiful!

That being said, I have an Ariens with the CVT and it's a nice transmission. No oil to worry about and it runs well. A little jerky in the forward to reverse transition but other than that I'm quite pleased with it. I'd not want one of the low end hydrostatics as they tend to be throw away transmissions and oil quality can be an issue (they need changes and have no ports to do it so you have to disassemble.

Millions of Sears tractors are out there running strong. Parts if needed are plentiful and cheap compared to Deere anything.

I have the Craftsman T3000 which is 4 years old. The engine is the B&S 21 HP platinum single cyl. The mower performs very well with one exception. This spring the cyl head gasket blew out near where the push rods come threw to the OH valve rocker arms. It's not to hard to fix that with a little mechanical experience and follow instructions on head gasket replacement from a You Tube video. Outside that, the mower perform great.

Well my budget is around the 2k Canadian mark. I will mow about 2 acres every week and up to 3 acres total once a month. I have plans to get a CUT or SCUT in a few years and maybe get a belly mower with it.

I thought all riding lawn mowers are the same today and it doesn't really matter specifically by brand? I thought the only major difference was Kohler vs B&S...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I thought all riding lawn mowers are the same today and it doesn't really matter specifically by brand? I thought the only major difference was Kohler vs B&S...

Maybe the box-store models... and don't forget Kawasaki.

Last edited:
Those Craftsmans are pretty similar to the one I used to have. While they are a decent mower, they're definitely not meant for mowing 2-3 acres every week. You would be much better off with something more in the garden tractor category like a John Deere X series.

If you did go with a Craftsman, something like the GT5000 would be much better suited for the job:

Here is a pic of my T3000. One thing I like about the Craftsman vs the John Deer is the Craftsman has 4 mower deck wheels compared to the JD which has 2.

Last edited:
I had looked at some higher end JD models but it came down to the location. The cost was not so bad but the time needed for travel was just not going to happen. When the economy is bad business is good and when the economy is good business is good.

Thanks for the pics guys, both look like nice machines!!

One thing to keep in mind about Craftsman riding mowers is Sears doesn't make them. They're either a Husqvarna Group built machine or an MTD made machine. I prefer Husqvarna. To me, the engines are only piece of the puzzle. The cutting deck and transaxle are 1st and 2nd in order of importance (to me). Parts and service will be plentiful for these machines long after Sears is gone. The problem with Husqvanrna or MTD OPE is your changes of getting a part right off the shelf is slim compared to John Deere. Parts typically have to be ordered.

So I picked up the T3000. It was one with a hydro trans, not the CVT. The thing was [censored] near brand new looking. It has 129 hours and runs like a top. I agree that getting parts may not be as easy as driving down to the local Deere dealer but hopefully I can make it last a few years.

First up in the next few weeks is to get some 5w50 in the hydro. I must say I say I like the tight turn on it. I have lots of shrubs, trees and kids toys to mow around.

Ok so it was a T3200. its funny, one hood decal says T3000 and the other is T3200. The model is 944.604311.

Model numbers starting with 944 is a Husqvarna Group built machine. It's probably got a HydroGear transaxle on that. You'd have to peek under and look for labeling for that. Best thing you can do to make the machine last is don't let the cutting deck ride on the ground when you're mowing. Set the deck and gauge wheels so that the wheels only roll over high spots or very uneven ground. Doing so saves more than the deck from damage.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
So I picked up the T3000. It was one with a hydro trans, not the CVT. The thing was [censored] near brand new looking. It has 129 hours and runs like a top. I agree that getting parts may not be as easy as driving down to the local Deere dealer but hopefully I can make it last a few years.

First up in the next few weeks is to get some 5w50 in the hydro. I must say I say I like the tight turn on it. I have lots of shrubs, trees and kids toys to mow around.

Obtaining parts should be easier. Husqvarna are everywhere and you can order online from Sears too.

Use a leaf blower to keep the grass off the top of the deck and mow thru some leaves in the fall to scrub the underside will keep the mower deck from rusting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back