BMW 2001 E46 M3 - Still confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to show you my bottle of Red Line 20w-50? Lowest temp I've ever seen here is -19°C. I'm not that far from Denmark...

I have absolutely no reservations about 15w40 for use down to -10°C but as I said it will not meet any stringent specs unless it's an HDEO. And that's what worries me more. Does LL-01 or MB229.5 have more stringent sheartests than Acea A3/B3? That will be the most likely spec for a common 15w40 here, and nothing else. Some might have a MB229.1 spec though.

The HTHS for the 15w40 would undoubtedly be higher than for a 5w40 HC-synthetic, at least initially.

Why ask us?
Ask BMW.
Register for the BMW Heritage site, which does require at least a little German, no problem for someone in Denmark and send them an email asking them what grade to use.
TWS 10W-60 was a bandaid for bearing problems on some M engines and yours may not be one of them.
Ask the real experts rather than those you'll find claiming that status here and elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why ask us?
Ask BMW.
Register for the BMW Heritage site, which does require at least a little German, no problem for someone in Denmark and send them an email asking them what grade to use.
TWS 10W-60 was a bandaid for bearing problems on some M engines and yours may not be one of them.
Ask the real experts rather than those you'll find claiming that status here and elsewhere.

All the US 2001 M3s were powered by the S54 engine and had a recall/replacement of that engine's rod bearings. TWS 10W-60 was and is the BMW recommended oil. Now the new Shell supplied 10W-60 is recommended. I used the recommended oil in my S54 BMW and the bearings failed @ 60,000 miles.

Indeed the only reason BMW Specs 10w60 is because some BMW engines chew through their rod bearings in less than 100k miles, there was an article about it on Jalopnik, so if you want to use a 10w60 go ahead

The WIN nr. states it was produced 2001 28.feb
I bought it with 200.000km and had the bearings replaced. Currently got 205.000km on it.

10W-60 is specified because of the failure-prone bearings in the S54 engine. I would stick with that (Castrol TWS, BMW Twin Power Turbo, or Liqui-Moly), but please allow plenty of time for the engine to warm up in the winter, as 10W-60 is THICK at the temperatures you are starting up at in the morning.

WoW , and I'm sure your a Chemical Engineer or Mechanical Engineer that works at a major research company in the petroleum industry giving advice on a M car where the motor cost more that your car and most likely your apartment.

OP --- Please refer to an expert as to changing oil if your climate is bases for leaving 10W-60 Castrol TWS, there is a lot more to oil than the SAE ratings.

Stay away from the expert advise here regarding your "M" motor !

Originally Posted By: Elme
Got my self a M3 and still confused about, what to use ( live i Denmark, where it will go as low as -10C or 14F).

I do time from time drive it a little hard, but nothing even close to track race.

Some say you cant use anything else than the famous TWS 10W60.
Others say, go a head and use 5W40 mobil-1 or even 0W40...

Im lost! Please help with input/insight.

Engine oil (Preferred specification) Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 All temperatures
Engine oil (Alternative specification) API SJ/CF SAE 10W-60 All temperatures

it'll be fine on the recommended oils, everything else is a risk factor and most likely will not offer any wear protection advantage. The chances are going off piste will be worse for your engine.

Last edited:
Why not use the TWS?

Everyone wants to rationalize using something other than the oil recommended in the owner's manual.

It's not intuitive.

I bought a case of TWS on Amazon for about $10/liter. So that's about $25 more per change compared to Castrol 0W-40.

And I'll never wonder if the oil I'm using is adequate.

Can the car not run on 5w50? Thats easily available here in the uk and its fully synthetic too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back