Best oil drain pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: paulri
NEW QUESTION:

For those of you who have the new drain pans that have nozzles to pour the oil out of, like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17942-Black-Plastic-4-5-Gallon/dp/B000JFHMVQ)--do you still need to keep a funnel in the neck of the 5 quart jug you are pouring the old oil into? Or can you pour the old oil straight from one of those new drain pans, into the holding container?

You will need a funnel to transfer the used oil into the 5 quart jug neatly.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You will need a funnel to transfer the used oil into the 5 quart jug neatly.

If that's the case, I think I'll save a couple of bucks and just stick with the old fashioned kind. If you need a funnel with both, not sure what the advantage would be with the new ones with teh spout.

Last edited:
NEW QUESTION:

For those of you who have the new drain pans that have nozzles to pour the oil out of, like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17942-Black-Plastic-4-5-Gallon/dp/B000JFHMVQ)--do you still need to keep a funnel in the neck of the 5 quart jug you are pouring the old oil into? Or can you pour the old oil straight from one of those new drain pans, into the holding container?

You need the funnel, most likely. If you're really good you could do without the funnel, if the container has a wide mouth; but I think you want a funnel.

The main advantage I'd see to a spout is if the top is covered over. That way you could seal it up and transport with less spillage (think of the oil sloshing around when carrying this thing across the yard).

I keep debating if I'd rather spend the $5 or whatever on 5 gallon buckets, and dump waste oil into that. The oil bottles are free but I seem to waste too much time with the funnel, making a mess, etc. 5 gallon bucket would hold 20 qt, which is granted not that much oil. Bucket and lid.

I do have a few of those buckets, but they are for storing items like car wash stuff. I really like the idea of moving/storing old oil and coolant in the 1 ga jugs they came in.

At this point, I think I'll stick with the old drain pan, if I'd have to use the funnel anways--unless it sloshes around when I pour it into the 1 gallon jug so much, that that smaller nozzle would still give me a benefit. I'll see what happens with my DIY oil change in the next month or so.

What?

The open pan with pour spout easily fits into any 5qt container I've ever used. No funnel needed, easy to pour back in, then I even stand it up, leaned against the wall/etc to let it drain fully into the 5 qt jug.

I have an older version of the Lyle or Capri Tools ones seen on amazon. Similar in appearance.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Haven't used a drain pan for oil in years. Buy a Fumoto nipple type, attach a hose, and drain directly to a jug. Saves a lot of mess, pouring, cleaning up, etc.

From the sound of the OP's concern with neatness and not spilling oil, the Fumoto is the best option.

But he didn't want to spend more than $20 (for both vehicles) .......

NEW QUESTION: - For those of you who have the new drain pans that have nozzles to pour the oil out of, like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17942-Black-Plastic-4-5-Gallon/dp/B000JFHMVQ)--do you still need to keep a funnel in the neck of the 5 quart jug you are pouring the old oil into? Or can you pour the old oil straight from one of those new drain pans, into the holding container?
I was lucky enough in another life to acquire a few of these 5 gallon Nalgene Carboys and they are a perfect match to the Lisle drain pan above. I can store 1 OC from each of my vehicles (I could do more than 2 before the PSD came into the picture) and then off to AZ to recycle the oil without worrying about it spilling.

s-l1600.jpg

Originally Posted By: supton
NEW QUESTION:

You need the funnel, most likely. If you're really good you could do without the funnel, if the container has a wide mouth; but I think you want a funnel.

The main advantage I'd see to a spout is if the top is covered over. That way you could seal it up and transport with less spillage (think of the oil sloshing around when carrying this thing across the yard).

I keep debating if I'd rather spend the $5 or whatever on 5 gallon buckets, and dump waste oil into that. The oil bottles are free but I seem to waste too much time with the funnel, making a mess, etc. 5 gallon bucket would hold 20 qt, which is granted not that much oil. Bucket and lid.

Why not just take the drain pan directly to the recycling facility and dump it directly into the tank? Why the need to transfer to another jug? I have one of these that holds about 2 oil changes and I just dump it directly into the recycling tank at O'Reilly's or our county recycling center. Have done this for years without problems.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: supton
NEW QUESTION:

Why not just take the drain pan directly to the recycling facility and dump it directly into the tank? Why the need to transfer to another jug? I have one of these that holds about 2 oil changes and I just dump it directly into the recycling tank at O'Reilly's or our county recycling center. Have done this for years without problems.

Town transfer station used to do that, then they didn't. I haven't checked in a while, but if they do, that would be a good fix. I'll ask the next time I'm there, thanks. I'm not sure what they are doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back