Weird private-label tire names

Originally Posted By: 97f150
Saw these while researching replacement tires for my F-150.....a Cooper brand apparently.

wpid-20150126_1359214.jpg

Wonder how overpriced those are?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Seen yesterday: Daewoo.

Daewoo used to make everything at one point!

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I personally like the brand "Mayrun." It could blow out on the highway...or it "Mayrun."

I kind of like "Goodyear"-good thing they were not made in a "bad year". Or how about "Goodrich". Will you be rich if you put those on your cars?

American names are just as hokey...they only difference is your used to seeing and hearing them...that's all!

Charles Goodyear of Vulcanization process fame ...
I got to drive the blimp in my younger day - bought many a set for that privilege ...

Originally Posted By: CKN
I personally like the brand "Mayrun." It could blow out on the highway...or it "Mayrun."

I kind of like "Goodyear"-good thing they were not made in a "bad year". Or how about "Goodrich". Will you be rich if you put those on your cars?

American names are just as hokey...they only difference is your used to seeing and hearing them...that's all!

and the Chinese knockoff Goodride
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Charles Goodyear of Vulcanization process fame ...
I got to drive the blimp in my younger day - bought many a set for that privilege ...

I'm well aware of where the name comes from. Still doesn't make it any better.

BF Goodrich: Benjamin Franklin Goodrich, company founder. (Useless trivia: his company developed the fabric-covered rubber fire hoses that were widely used into the 1960's.)
Firestone: Harvey Firestone. (The name was Anglicized from Feuerstein.)

Come to think of it, most American tire companies (with the notable exception of General and the former United States Rubber Company, now Uniroyal) seem to be named for their founders.

Come to think of it, most American tire companies (with the notable exception of General and the former United States Rubber Company, now Uniroyal) seem to be named for their founders.

The most important exception is Goodyear
smile.gif

Charles Goodyear was NOT the founder of that company! Frank Sieberling named the company in Goodyear's honor.

I'm kind of glad Siberling didn't use his own name for the tires. Goodyear is a better company name.

Sieberling TripleTred and Sieberling Excellence
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Charles Goodyear was NOT the founder of that company! Frank Sieberling named the company in Goodyear's honor.

I'm kind of glad Siberling didn't use his own name for the tires. Goodyear is a better company name.

laugh.gif

Seems to me "Goodride" is a better name for a tire than "Goodyear". Just sayin!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

laugh.gif

What is odd is that Frank Seiberling did found a company with his name. It was bought by Firestone prior to my entering the tire industry - which is where I first heard of them. The company I worked for tested a lot of brands of tires in the early 1970's when the first tire regulations were going in - and some of their tires failed.

I got some Linglong Crosswind All Season tires for the used car department at work this week, they had this interesting mascot on the label...
8GFDPXO.jpg

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I got some Linglong Crosswind All Season tires for the used car department at work this week, they had this interesting mascot on the label...
8GFDPXO.jpg

crackmeup2.gif

New one: "Barum Brilliantis".

Barum is an old czech brand, now a subsidiary of Continental. Ok-ish tyres at budget prices.

Originally Posted By: turboseize
New one: "Barum Brilliantis".

Barum is an old czech brand, now a subsidiary of Continental. Ok-ish tyres at budget prices.

Just recently I bought new tires for my son's car (Camry) at DT and they had the "Barum Brillantis 2" tires for $34 each.
I didn't want to go that low so went with their house brand Arizonian Silver Edition III @ $73 each and they been riding very well. He will be driving across state and over the Sierra mountain range and back for the weekend. I just went around and made sure all the pressure's were still good to go. Not a bad looking low cost tire and rides quiet.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Just recently I bought new tires for my son's car (Camry) at DT and they had the "Barum Brillantis 2" tires for $34 each. I didn't want to go that low so went with their house brand Arizonian Silver Edition III @ $73 each and they been riding very well. He will be driving across state and over the Sierra mountain range and back for the weekend. I just went around and made sure all the pressure's were still good to go. Not a bad looking low cost tire and rides quiet.

You probably did well.. the Arizonians are made by Cooper and the tread looks a little like that of their CS3/CS5 touring tires.

LingLong are on big rigs. You sure that wasn't the name?

http://en.linglong.cn/

The tyre contractor at my old job once fitted a Ling Long to the Ambulance I was driving (was fitted on shift before mine)

I thought I had a puncture when driving along and found they had fitted it in contravention of the tyre contract, should have been a Goodyear or equivalent in an emergency.

Tyre was swapped and vehicle drove normally again, this was nearly 10years ago and I would expect they are better now

On my last trip to Ghanaa there were advertising hoardings for LingLong LGV tyres, on looking at a few of the LGVs on. The roads showed that they are indeed getting popular

When you can get a better quality Korean tyre like Nexen or Hankooks for not much more I doubt I will buy a Chinese tyre

Though the 2005 Picanto has a mix and match of tyres.

A Chengshin (marked M&S) and three other makes.

The best of them will soon be the spare and a matched set will be going on next month

Originally Posted By: SR20DE
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Just recently I bought new tires for my son's car (Camry) at DT and they had the "Barum Brillantis 2" tires for $34 each. I didn't want to go that low so went with their house brand Arizonian Silver Edition III @ $73 each and they been riding very well. He will be driving across state and over the Sierra mountain range and back for the weekend. I just went around and made sure all the pressure's were still good to go. Not a bad looking low cost tire and rides quiet.

You probably did well.. the Arizonians are made by Cooper and the tread looks a little like that of their CS3/CS5 touring tires.

I thought Barum where the budget brand for Continental. They are a Czechoslovakian Brand that has been going for the thick end of a 100years

Last edited:
Back