Carquest filters still made by Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 2 CQ reds from AAP. Reading recently, I've seen a few people mention that the CQ's are now made by Purolator. Can anyone confirm this because I'm really hoping that they are still made by wix.

The CQ blue and red filters , when Fram had the contract, were well constructed with metal end caps and good media. They had to compete with their previous supplier (as you know), Wix. Now that the CQ Aap merger is a done deal its business as usual lowest bidder.

Purolator and Wix baseplates are pretty easy to identify. Post a pic of it and we'll know for sure.

Up until about 2 years ago all Carquest filters were made by WIX. Shortly after the AAP buyout, the contract went to Champ filters for automotive and Baldwin handled the HD/Industrial side. They are now made by Mann/Hummel/Porulator/Wix. The red box filters are equivalent to the classic Purolator filters.

Just bought a blue last week at aap. made by Fram(signature baseplate and adbv). The reds were on sales floor but blues were behind counter. No date codes anywhere on filter or box.

Last edited:
Wix made them until some time in 2013, when AAP bought CQ. During the merger, Fram made them, from mid-2013 to early 2016. From around March 2016-on, they hav ebeen made by Purolator.

Wix date codes are on top of the can, in white, very hard to see.

Fram date codes are either on the side, axially, in red, or on top of the can in yellow-dotted type.

Purolator date codes are big black dotted letters/numbers on top of the can.

Take a picture for us
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: motts
Nope... No codes anywhere

Look again with a strong flashlight. The Fram date codes are lightly etched and hard to see without proper light and angle of viewing.

Interesting these frams have metal end caps while their extra guards don't. I'd put them in the same tier as eachother.

They are now made by Purolator. Advance is trying to spin it saying they are made by Mann and Hummel. Mann bought Purolator and WIX for their ability to make spin on filters. It's a Purolator.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
They are now made by Purolator. Advance is trying to spin it saying they are made by Mann and Hummel. Mann bought Purolator and WIX for their ability to make spin on filters. It's a Purolator.

Who would buy Purolator for their ability to make spin-on filters?
crazy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Besides, the real German Mann spin-on cans are much better than Purolator and at least as good as Wix. The smart thing to do would be to make Purolators in NC, the same way and with the same materials that Mann makes their own filters in Germany.

We all know they must have massively under bid Fram for them to change suppliers so quickly after just having transitioned from Wix to Fram right before it happened.

The Fram filters were actually good products so it's a shame they decided to line their pockets instead of provide quality filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back