Hi Bitogers,

first, please no toyota bashing!!!
I'm open to other options too!

the local dealer sent me a promo email with:
- corolla advertised at $17,800 and 0% for 72 months,
- camry advertised at $20,800 at 0% for 60months or 0.9% for 72 months
- prius two advertised at %24,885 at 0% for 72 months

now i can:
-sing "money in the bank" all day for the next 2 years (yota yaris will be 10 years old in rust territory) and use the 4 oil filters and jugs of 10w30/5w30 remaining
-buy maybe a camry or prius and hold for 8-10 years (or recommend alternative)
-buy something else for 5-8 years (or 10 if really lucky). preferably at least midsize, functional will also be nice(i was so itching for a brand new 2015VW sportwagen for $15,000, but kitchen re-do prevailed)

so BITOG motorheads, what say you?

many thanks for a civil thread

P.S.'08 yaris is paid off

Prius no... Corolla or Camry are good plain reliable vehicles.. What about Hyundai although they are not cheap anymore they are nice vehicles and are put together very well and have the best warranty out there.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
VW, good car espcially for the price right now.

probably sportwagen with AT. i need some utility.
other tips would be appreciated

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Prius no... Corolla or Camry are good plain reliable vehicles.. What about Hyundai although they are not cheap anymore they are nice vehicles and are put together very well and have the best warranty out there.

Camry and hyundai Sonata.
(with your background)any tips with engines to avoid would be appreciated
I don't think we really need a minivan, but may accept if 8-10 years ownership possible (but boy, they are close to a small cheap rental house in price...)

I very much like the '17 version of the Chevy Volt; I would buy that over a Prius.

However ... you are someone who keeps his vehicles for a decade before you replace them. I am not sure a 2016/2017 model EV or Hybrid, from any manufacturer, is the best answer at this time. I would suggest you see if you can wring another three or four years from your current ride and then look at the electric options available then.

We are not yet at the point where this technology is over the "early adopter" hump where the value resides. I think I can confidently assume you are seeking as much value as possible, from your buying habits. If you are itching to buy now, I would in that case suggest sticking with fossil fuelled options.

It also opens up the possibility of moving out of your pattern and selling the gas burner earlier than has been your habit. Resale should be easier, if only because the potential market is much larger.

In fact I am suspicious of the used electric vehicle market in general; I think a buyer pretty much has to do as you do, keep the car for a decade, to avoid a large loss at resale. It doesn't matter that you intend to do so; you should not give up the flexibility of having value in the car at any point between now and 2027.

I think a potential buyer of EV technology should think in terms of 1917 to 1927 when it comes to what the technology will look like in a decade. Automobiles made massive strides in that decade, and so will EVs.

That also gives you tremendous choices ... perhaps too many, even. In a gas motor car, I like a Mazda3.

In diesel, despite what some see as issues with the brand, VW still rules that option (and to add the oil burner option is a very inexpensive upgrade with VW, not something other makers can boast). Despite the EPA loop shenanigans, the Volkswagen Diesel is still a very economical ride. Plus, I think it's worth reminding yourself that the problem was one of economy ratings, not performance.

It doesn't sound like you're that set on a hybrid...so unless you really need a new vehicle now due to your circumstance or finances, I'd wait a year at least. There will be more and better hybrid options in the next year or two and you can still decide if you want the VW...even though it might set you back more than 15K...while driving a paid off vehicle and delaying monthly payments or a large hit to your bank account.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Which one do you like?

(just talking to myself)
-i did not seat yet in any of the recommended in this thread
-i do not plan to make races on the streets/highways i drive, so high output cars are out, but i still need output to merge to/sustain a highway
-i do not plan to challenge the "biggies" on the roads, so SUV's are out (and CUV's for high ride, big tires and small functional interior space)

I was going through this earlier this year.

If you drive in congested areas most of the time the Prius is a great choice. It sips gas and runs to 200k easily. However, I am not a fan of the latest styling...
sick.gif

Find some criteria to choose. I have always had very practical and conservative cars (Altima, Forester, Accord) that I purchased used to save money.

This time I wanted something new and fun so I bought a Golf TSI. It is a blast to drive compared to the standard Asian fare! Highway mileage is 40mpg if kept below 70mph, almost hybrid territory, but in slow traffic with constant stop and go it drops down to 26mpg.

so Johnny2Bad,
you are suggesting pretty much a change to let's say 5 years ownership + some residual re-sale value = rinse and repeat

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
In diesel, despite what some see as issues with the brand, VW still rules that option (and to add the oil burner option is a very inexpensive upgrade with VW, not something other makers can boast). Despite the EPA loop shenanigans, the Volkswagen Diesel is still a very economical ride. Plus, I think it's worth reminding yourself that the problem was one of economy ratings, not performance.

What are you talking about ? What are you smoking ?

It is very clear that VW intentionally cheat the smog test, there isn't any ambiguity about VW Dieselgate. The environmental regulation is very clear, VW engineers intentionally wrote the software to cheat the system.

Now you are blaming EPA for VW intentionally violating US environmental laws. If the US emission regulations are too tough then do export dirty diesel vehicles into US. It is as simple as that.

It is always love or hate when it comes to the EPA - but bring the heavy hand on this one. Those are some of the smartest and most-regulated engineers in the world (one just said good morning to me) - IMO - they knew what was going on but were working as directed - just like Enron workers.
Net result is they generated an unfair advantage in a tough market place - and one we have to breath.

The new Prius is so disgustingly ugly. Also that price doesn't sound so good.

What about a new Yaris?

Choosing only from the list you provided, Camry all the way, especially if it's for 10 years. I wouldn't want a hybrid for that length of time due to the big possibility of expensive repairs. The Corolla is a great car, but it sounds like you have kids and may eventually outgrow it. If I were buying a new car and planning to keep it a decade, I'd be going with Kia, since they have a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty (here anyway, not sure about your neck of the woods).

Another way to look at it:

You haven't said anything about why you need a new vehicle. What's wrong with your paid off 2008 Yaris?

There are several reasons to buy a new vehicle: your current vehicle no longer meets your needs, your vehicle is no longer reliable, you really really really want one (and can afford it - meaning there'll be one payment, a large one).

If you really want a new vehicle, that's great, go for it. But realize that a new vehicle will lose 40% of the cost over the first 3 years. And that's not good.

Here are a few suggested links to read before buying anything (caution language warning):

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/28/new-cars-and-auto-financing-stupid-or-sensible/

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/20/toyota-prius

Has the Prius gone up recently?

The cost difference between that and the Corolla is rather significant.

I wouldn't be buying any VW.In 10 years they are likely to be all electrics,and your gas purchase might be lacking parts availability as VW will have sold its soul to EVs in order to overcome its scandals.

Personally I would keep the 08 Yaris. It is the most bullet proof and cheapest to maintain/repair vehicle in Toyota's lineup. It is not even 10 years old and assuming proper maintenance, it should be fine until it's 15 years old.

Having said that, the new Prius sales are doing very poorly, therefore I would take advantage of that. I bet you could get it for around $21k.

If you want to buy a hybrid, our relatively low gas prices are producing good rebates right now. Consider a plug-in, especially if you do a lot of city driving. Our C-Max Energi is at 120 mpg right now and we aren't extremely diligent about plugging it in.

On the other hand, great strides are being made in lithium ion technology. Driver assistance systems are improving every day. Due to tightening safety and fuel economy standards, advanced metals are making cars safer every year. They don't make them like they used to, and that's a darned good thing.

So do you wait a couple years for a more mature 4th gen Prius and risk buying in an adverse market? Et cetera...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back