Mazda skyactive oil change interval - a bit much

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to change my wifes oil with synthetic 0w20 (as per manual) for the second time in 8 months.

The schedule Mazda calls for on the 2 liter is 4 months or 5k miles.

I love the car, love the engine, really like the company, but does this interval not seem slightly over the top for such a high quality oil?

Is it the high compression in the skyactive that makes these changes necessary? I feel badly dumping $40 a gallon synthetic at 4 months and such low miles, just to keep the warranty happy.

It seems car manufacturers are in one ditch or another, when it comes to OCIs. The Euro's stretch it out, at times, too long and the Asians, in your case, perhaps too short. A quality synthetic will perform very well past 5K miles, not KM's.

That does sound very conservative, especially when 0W-20 only comes in synthetic.

My Outback uses the same oil and the manual calls out a 7500 mile oci. but Subaru has since changed the interval to 6k. Blackstone keeps recommending that I try 10k, but I haven't done it yet, as it would throw the motor oil off of all the other preventative maintenance.

Perhaps a UOA on the next drain and fill so you can see if there is a reason why Mazda is so conservative on OCI.

I'd send off a sample to see if Mazda is being super-conservative, or if there is a lot of fuel dilution that would cause them to recommend such a conservative change interval. Although our Toyota recommends the same for severe service.

Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, I was just interested to what the consensus was.

From a strictly design standpoint, It would make sense that the high compression, possibly higher heat would be harder on oil.

I agree that the euro's are probably on the high side...the truth is somewhere in the middle.

That very same vehicle in Australia has a service interval of 12 months or 10,000km. So yes, the interval for Canadian models does seem just a bit over the top!

Are you changing because of time, or miles? If time, go purchase oil and filter, mark it in the log as done, and keep on trucking until 5k. You'll use the oil eventually. After warranty, extend it out.
Just for interest, my new company ride is a Dodge ProMaster City. Built by Fiat, Dodge sticks their hideous Ram head all over it, and sells it to unsuspecting companies for fleet duty. 10k OCI on 0w20, no specific break in, the factory fill stays the whole first 10k.
So far, every one of us has had to add a quart between 3500 and 4500 miles. If consumption stays steady, 10k will be easy with 1/3 of the oil being replaced over an OCI.

Originally Posted By: tig1
It seems car manufacturers are in one ditch or another, when it comes to OCIs. The Euro's stretch it out, at times, too long and the Asians, in your case, perhaps too short. A quality synthetic will perform very well past 5K miles, not KM's.

Any correlation with HTHS difference?

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: tig1

Any correlation with HTHS difference?

I use M1 0-20AFE with a HTHS of 2.7 at 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Just for interest, my new company ride is a Dodge ProMaster City. Built by Fiat, Dodge sticks their hideous Ram head all over it, and sells it to unsuspecting companies for fleet duty. 10k OCI on 0w20, no specific break in, the factory fill stays the whole first 10k.
So far, every one of us has had to add a quart between 3500 and 4500 miles. If consumption stays steady, 10k will be easy with 1/3 of the oil being replaced over an OCI.

That's the Fiat Doblo in Australia...OCI (on the diesel engined models) is 12 months or 30,000km! (18,600 miles).

My 2014 CX5 2.5 has the same recommendation with I ignored the time interval and used the mileage. I changed at 6,000 miles which was ~ one year, had a UOA. The lab suggested I go to 8,000 miles next based on wear values. Ed

The 4 months part is nonsense, one year is perfectly OK for any oil, in fact the lastest research by some of the German car companies has indicated there is nothing wrong with a 2 year limit if you are using a major brand full synthetic.
I would not exceed an OEM distance limit for the oil unless you are outside the warranty and get a UOA done.

Now at near 70k on our 2012 3 skyactiv alway running M1 0w20 changing at 5K never looked at time one was at 7.5k and another near 8k never looked any different should have sent out a UOA.

I ran M1 AFE 0W-20 with microGreen filters 30,000 miles in my 2012 Mazda3 (Skyactiv). The UOA was pretty decent. If I were not using MG filters I would use 10K as my OCI.

Mazda has 2 service schedules - normal (which calls for 7500 mi. / 6 mo. oil changes), and severe (which calls for 5000 mi. / 4 mo. oil changes). Canadian residents are automatically placed into the severe schedule (because apparently everyone in Canada lives north of the Arctic circle).

It's not the Skyactiv engine that makes that necessary because my wife's Mazda5 with the MZR 2.5L engine has the same recommendation.

IMO as long as you're under warranty you should follow the manual. After that, do what makes sense. I don't know what the weather is like in Calgary, but it seems like you should be able to extend it somewhat - at least more than 4 months! Ideally UOAs would help you figure out what the right number actually is.

Sister's 2012 Mazda 3 Skyaktiv was serviced by the dealer under warranty and will now done by me. We're starting with 5K/5,000 mile OCI.

Plan is to do the next change with Scheaffer's 0W-20 then send a sample to Blackstone for analysis. We shall see.

You own a automobile with the highest mass produced compression engine in the world which a lot of people posting in here are unaware of.

Anyway, in our 2012 Skyactive we change every 4 months, but I do that almost in any automobile I own including my motorcycle.
I believe someone else posted the "schedule" I tend to follow the "severe use".

I do not use the recommended 0/20 weight oil as there is no reason to in our warm climate of South Carolina. I do of course use the proper API SN.
I use 5/30 conventional and 5/20 conventional winter. I change every 4 months, which works out to about every 4,500 miles.

Last edited:
If it's a warranty requirement, use the cheapest oil allowed, after warranty, stretch it out and use the best oil.

If your engine is truly high compression, then you'd have to use hi octane gas. If reg gas is OK, then it must be something else.

Also possible service interval designed to keep dealers happy and customer pockets empty!!

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back