Extending drain intervals - where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm looking at extending my drain intervals for my fall oil change. I'm currently running QS conventional 5w20 in my 2.3 Ranger.

I like Quakerstate, and only run 8.5k/ year. I was thinking about using the Ultimate durability and getting an analysis done.

We see two weeks of [censored] cold up here, but I start every morning in a garage that usually sits around zero. My trip everyday is 20 miles each way.

What would be the best way to approach this? I'm not concerned about the mileage, mainly the date.

Would the big nasty winter in the middle of an annual oil change really hurt the oil that much?

One of my concerns is the sump capacity. It's only 3.8 liters....I'm looking into a bigger oil filter to maybe get me an extra pint or so.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

How often do you change it currently?

If the engine/oil gets up to proper operating temp on most of your drives, then I'd say an annual OCI could be doable on quality synthetic, although my OCI calculator doesn't think so. Do a UOA to verify.

I do annual OCI on my car, but our winters are a bit milder than yours and my oil sump is 7 qts. I do mostly short trips though - 3 miles to drop the kid off at daycare, and 3 miles back.

I would at least go up to a synthetic. Quaker-State isn't my first pick in winters in the Great White but its better than conventional and if its garaged that helps. Hopefully it can get you through the winter,and maybe to the Saddledome to watch the Canadiens beat the Flames.

Synthetic for 1 year sounds good to me.

I'd use 0w20 though for that warm fuzzy feeling.

Thanks guys,

Currently I'm changing it at 6 months and roughly 4k miles with conventional.
Its the tree hugger in me that's feel the urge to go synthetic and extend the drains.

I would run synthetic if I was running any longer than 6 months regardless, but I feel like 4k miles isn't much for a conventional oil.

BTW, I'm originally from Ontario so the flames aren't my home team....neither are the leafs though...I grew up as a goalie in Ontario with #33 on my back.
smile.gif

Are the extra months really that hard on a synthetic? That's my stumbling block in such a small sump.

I was thinking about running a synthetic, or a blend and changing it at 5-6k miles....roughly 8-10 months.

I use M1 0-20AFE in both of my Fords(2.0 and 2.3) which are in the same family as your Ranger. I have used this for years now with great success in all temps at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Synthetic for 1 year sounds good to me.

I'd use 0w20 though for that warm fuzzy feeling.

I was thinking a good 0w-20 syn would be a good choice also.

I use M1 0w-20 EP in our V6 Accord and change the oil and filter at 2x the maintenance minder, appx 12-13K and 12-15 mo (mostly city driving) . In our Subaru 2.5L we change it every 15K/annually (Subaru is 80% highway miles). We use a M1-110 filter in the Honda and Fram Ultra in the Subaru.

UOA showed plenty of life remaining at those intervals.

The Honda consumes zero oil and the Subaru takes about 1Q over 15K. The M1 0w-20 is great in cold weather, the cars start easily even at negative 20-30F.

Mobil is the only company that has honored rebates for us consistently. A 5Q jug and filter nets out to about $20 after rebates, and they run rebates in Spring and Fall.

Originally Posted By: NO2
I use M1 0w-20 EP in our V6 Accord and change the oil and filter at 2x the maintenance minder, appx 12-13K and 12-15 mo (mostly city driving) . In our Subaru 2.5L we change it every 15K/annually (Subaru is 80% highway miles). We use a M1-110 filter in the Honda and Fram Ultra in the Subaru.

The Honda consumes zero oil and the Subaru takes about 1Q over 15K. The M1 0w-20 is great in cold weather, the cars start easily even at negative 20-30F.

Mobil is the only company that has honored rebates for us consistently. A 5Q jug and filter nets out to about $20 after rebates, and they run rebates in Spring and Fall.
Originally Posted By: NO2

I would second M1 EP and change it once a year.

Avoid as much as possible cold start with short trips can make HUGE difference for the oil life.

We have here a very cold winter as well. I just receive my UOA and the engine oil was still in great shape for an OCI of 15K KM /10 months. The engine oil I used was PPPP. the TBN was still at 4.0 and the insoluble was under 0.3%

I'd prolly just go to annual changes. You need to get under there and inspect stuff once in a while anyway. So why not do a through inspection at least once a year and while you're at it, change the oil ...
smile.gif

How long do you plan to go on tranny fluids ??

Sorry for the late reply.

Good to know about the extended drains in Canadian winters.

The transmission fluid was honestly pretty dark at roughly 45k miles, so I'll stick to something similar...probably 60,ooo km's, same with the rear diff until I go synthetic. I used conventional this time and wish I'd gone synthetic...no harm though. It can wait.

I'm not looking at doing anything heroic, probably 6k miles and 10 months. QSUD should handle that easily...it's usually on sale locally for a good price, and I like their conventional in the truck.

AFE 0w20 would be a good choice. I'd change it as close to the winter as possible and get a UOA on the current fill. That might help in taking out any guess work.

8,500 miles per year.
Your cold start is Zero degree F or better.
Typical trip is 20 miles plus.

These conditions are easy on the oil. Almost within the range of an annual conventional oil change.
Just use the cheapest synthetic you can find and change it once a year at your convenience.

I'd pick my oil and do annual changes. I'd do spring, but if that's to busy - maybe summer is better... Name brand oils have gotten mostly good enough that annual changes are within reach for most everybody
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
8,500 miles per year.
Your cold start is Zero degree F or better.
Typical trip is 20 miles plus.

These conditions are easy on the oil. Almost within the range of an annual conventional oil change.
Just use the cheapest synthetic you can find and change it once a year at your convenience.

I'll 2nd that. Even SuperTech synthetic will handle 8500 miles yearly with no sweat. Just keep it topped off.

Thanks guys.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. I feel like I don't even need the 2x annual oil changes if I go synthetic....The idea of $35 a year in oil changes is really nice! lol

My only hesitation, and maybe you guys can shed some light, is I enrolled in the Quakerstate oil change program with the engine warranty....is it worth sticking it out for?

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back